Paris-Nice **SPOILERS**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    sjmclean wrote:
    Well that wasn't even close. I guess he was smoked from yesterday. Understandably.

Still, a beautiful win yesterday that he can be proud of. 100x better to win a stage like that then take the overall and do nothing standout.

Congratulations Porte.

What about Porte's attack the other day? That was pretty standout.

It was a 1km blast. Nothing interesting.

Not that my comment was directed at him in any case. In general it is better to win a stage like that then win a week stage race riding wheels (eg/. would have been a disaster is that snake Spilak won).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:
    Savage interview with Gallopin.

Yeah was great.

Kare.
    ZUPER-11184.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Well that wasn't even close. I guess he was smoked from yesterday. Understandably.

Still, a beautiful win yesterday that he can be proud of. 100x better to win a stage like that then take the overall and do nothing standout.

Congratulations Porte.
    You must have been watching a different race. Porte smashed it on stage 4, showed a lot of heart yesterday and has generally looked the best out of the bunch when the sprint stages were out the way.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Kare.
    Great sign.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    sjmclean wrote:

Congratulations Porte.

Jesus

What about Porte's attack the other day? That was pretty standout.

Yesterday's stage was pretty standout. Clawed back 50" deficit to Kwiatkowski and then attacked him. If he hadn't crashed on the descent it would have been a different story and he could well have been in yellow going in to today's stage. He only missed out on yellow on stage 4 because Kwia dug deep and limited his loses.

All in all there have been some good performances. Kwia's, Porte's and Gallopin's, no need to detract from any of their efforts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Did we remark on Tony Martin's natty scarf yesterday?

Didn't see that one.

SPTDW3016.jpg

SPTDW3021.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Awesome picture of 'My Men' 20150315148_Galerie%20etape%2000%2022.jpg
  • Macaloon
    Awesome picture of 'My Men'

Yeah. Small guys can't TT, eh? If I could work Google I'd find Richie's interview with Matt Rendell, after *that stage* in 2013 when he confessed to getting his @rse kicked by the peloton. Likable chap.

The Cycling Podcast ‏@cycling_podcast 3m3 minutes ago
    "Bradley proved to me this week that he is a team player. I did a lot to help him in 2012 and he repaid that this week." Porte at #ParisNice
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Looks like the 2 minutes that Porte put into Gallopin in 2013 was actually a pretty decent guide to Gallopin's TT ability.

Pleased for Porte. He had a dreadful season last year but he now looks to be back at the level he was at in 2013. Froome's going to need him.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Macaloon wrote:

Yeah. Small guys can't TT, eh? If I could work Google I'd find Richie's interview with Matt Rendell, after *that stage* in 2013 when he confessed to getting his @rse kicked by the peloton. Likable chap.

"Bradley proved to me this week that he is a team player. I did a lot to help him in 2012 and he repaid that this week." Porte at #ParisNice

Fair play for that re tweet Maca
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566

Congratulations Porte.

That's a crock of shit. It's a stage race. Consistency wins. History remembers the overall winners. And rightly so.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • frenchfighter
    Depends who you are as a fan.

Interestingly who do you think gets paid more. A shadow ridee who wins Paris Nice or a rider who wins two stages of Paris Nice in emphatic form.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited March 2015

Interestingly who do you think gets paid more. A shadow ridee who wins Paris Nice or a rider who wins two stages of Paris Nice in emphatic form.
    That's fair enough. But in this case, I don't think you can call Porte a shadow rider. He's been active on all the key stages. (i'm not actually sure you were specifically calling him that)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    So it's about pay?

Describing Porte as a shadow rider in PN this year is frankly nuts. A wheel sucker he was not. And I have no great love for the Sky machine. Credit where it's due.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

You know Gallopin only came over the line before Porte 2 (his stage win and one sprint stage) which means including the prologue Porte came in ahead of him 5 times including 2 stage wins.
  • frenchfighter
    I havent called Porte a shadow rider. I am talking in general terms. I have been quite complementary about him this year. He did well this PN and provided some excitement. I like other riders better though, which I am perfectly entitled to

If you lot have read my posts and still disagree you need to either learn to read or get an education.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:

You know Gallopin only came over the line before Porte 2 (his stage win and one sprint stage) which means including the prologue Porte came in ahead of him 5 times including 2 stage wins.

This is a badly phrased and irrelevant point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    He is a certified useless team mate and non-entity. Only when there is personal glory can he give a damn. Not sure why so many fans love him.
    Is there any correction forthcoming in the light of Porte's comment?
  • frenchfighter
    nic_77 wrote:
    He is a certified useless team mate and non-entity. Only when there is personal glory can he give a damn. Not sure why so many fans love him.
    Is there any correction forthcoming in the light of Porte's comment?

No. I reiterate my point. Also any two a penny rider can pull the bunch along 80km out. Much harder to be the key wingman when the fight is on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    edited March 2015
    dupe
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,115
    Porte new fastest time at the intermediate 12" faster than Spilak.

Ridiculous.

59kg TT champion.

Did they not teach you physics at school?
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:

That stage being stage 9? That was an immense stage and a good interview with Titchy Richie.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Is Porte not a similar build to Contador?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    No. I reiterate my point. Also any two a penny rider can pull the bunch along 80km out. Much harder to be the key wingman when the fight is on.
    Sure. But you don't often get riders of Wiggins's calibre doing a two a penny rider's job. He's pretty heavy right now, so he's doing the job he's suited to.
  • RichN95.
    Wiki figures (not accurate but ballpark):

Contador: 1.76m, 62kg
    Porte: 1.72m, 62kg
  • above_the_cows
    Porte's legs look like twiglets this year.
  • Macaloon
    That stage being stage 9? That was an immense stage and a good interview with Titchy Richie.
    Yep. Quite a compliment to Richie that Movistar rode to eliminate him, rather than attacking Froome.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,375
    RichN95 wrote:

I think there are a few who seem to be getting all excited about and perhaps suggesting that Porte is a potential GC category rider given the twiglet legs/weight comparisons and apparent TTing ability?!

Not on your nelly.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

Contador is heavier than that and Porte said the other day he lost 3kg since Oz (incredible) so he is now 59kg.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Contador is heavier than that and Porte said the other day he lost 3kg since Oz (incredible) so he is now 59kg.
    I wouldn't trust any rider's reported weight (or their reported power). But Contador & Porte probably aren't too different. With regard to your original comment about 59kg TTers - Contador is definitely closer to Porte in weight than he is to GC Wiggins or even Froome.