Canyon CF SL 9.0

2»

Comments

• Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    Yep. Had it for just over a week. It is my commuter/winter bike to save my Look.

Weighs the same as my Look (which has DA 7900 groupset and wheels) so I was surprised by that. It feels solid when you ride it, not uncomfy by any means, just steers great and no loss of force when you press the pedals. Brakes are great, new ultegra shifts almost silently and very little force required to shift the front or rear.

So far a number of reasonably hilly 20mile commutes plus a 55 mile ride at the weekend. It is plenty comfy enough (25mm tyres are helping I guess). I am enjoying the ride as much as I enjoy my Look which is a big compliment. I may need to drop the bars a bit more and chop an inch off the fork steerer as the front end still feels a little high.

Climbs well, solid when out the saddle (I am only 10.5 stone though) and with the new ultegra and lack of weight it is great value. The only downside for the use my bike will get is the matt silver finish which will mark easily and end up looking scruffy fairly quickly. That was my choice though so can't blame the bike.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I've already scratched the top tube having scuffed it with my cleat! :cry:

But......... The more I ride it, the better it gets!! :D
  • trixy372
    trixy372 Posts: 105
    love the seatpost!! think my next bike is going to be a Canyon CF love the bike and the price and build are just fantastic!! lovely bike dude enjoy those Matlock hills maybe ill see you sometime up that way as Im down in Spondon and I ride up that that wat a fair bit!! Look out for the Rapha Roubaix you cant miss it lol!!
  • supermurph09
    Still enjoying the Canyon, thought this was a better picture for anyone wanting to order in Black.

Canyon.jpg
  • supermurph09
    Thought I'd update this thread with how the bike looks right now. (Will take better pictures later). As you can see I've changed the bar tape colour to black as the white was impossible to bring back to life. The tape is actually the same that Cannondale use on the Synapse and has the same feel to the original thick tape that it came with. Really comfortable. In order to match it up (and after scuffing the white one) I've just recently swapped the saddle to another Fizik Antares bought on ebay for £49, this one has the Kium rails. I had wanted just black, but my club colours are green and black so went with it. The saddle was brand new and never used so a decent bargain imo.

Those with a keen eye will notice the mismatched tyres. I swapped the original tyres as the rear had some nasty cuts, went with the Conti 4000s II's which are great. Sadly not long after purchase the sidewall blew out on the rear so I put the original back on, just in the process of getting a new Conti. Also just added some swiss stop brake pads.

I think the white tape and saddle looked good but I do prefer the updated version.

Canyon-1.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg
  • Thanks for updating the pictures, I have a CF SL and you are right the bar tape is impossible to keep clean, I was thinking of changing mine to black, so you picture has shown me what it will look like.

Thanks
  • supermurph09
    One thing I would add, it's pretty impossible to fit mudguards on. Tried Cruds and Raceblades, neither have enough clearance to be used.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    One thing I would add, it's pretty impossible to fit mudguards on. Tried Cruds and Raceblades, neither have enough clearance to be used.
    What tyres were you using?
    Given the Ultimate has more tyre clearance than many road bikes (can take at least a 27mm and maybe 28mm+ tyres) I assumed it would be okay for mudguards so long as the tyres weren't excessively voluminous. Haven't tried yet though.
  • supermurph09
    25mm, as I say the LBS spent quite a while trying to fit both sets of mudguards and whilst the raceblades did actually go on, the clearances were basically nil meaning they would almost certainly catch, not something I was prepared to risk.
  • ai_1
    25mm, as I say the LBS spent quite a while trying to fit both sets of mudguards and whilst the raceblades did actually go on, the clearances were basically nil meaning they would almost certainly catch, not something I was prepared to risk.
    Good to know. I'll have to put a bit of thought in when I come to fitting mudguards to mine in future. Don't need them much for now as I won't be riding it much until spring. Running and the TT bike are getting most of my attention for now.
  • supermurph09
    I took delivery of the Speedmax AL so have been getting used to that on the Turbo as it's not been possible to get out due to the wind and then snow.
  • ai_1
    I took delivery of the Speedmax AL so have been getting used to that on the Turbo as it's not been possible to get out due to the wind and then snow.
    I might be looking at the Speedmax AL more closely later this year or early next year. For the moment my "TT bike" is my old bike with clip-ons, a forward seat post and Adamo saddle. I may consider getting a proper Tri/TT bike if things go well this year.
  • supermurph09
    TT was supposed to be the focus last year but I delayed it after becoming a father, so that's the main goals for spring and summer and the HC's Sept/Oct. Just need to sort a few health issues and then I'll be back on it! As with the Ultimate the bike looked better in the flesh, however it did have a bit of a paint bubble on the top tube which wasn't great, I told Canyon and they gave me a £50 voucher which I thought was fair enough. (Bought brake pads, bar tape, bottles, bottle cage etc).
  • ai_1
    Good to know. I'll have to put a bit of thought in when I come to fitting mudguards to mine in future. Don't need them much for now as I won't be riding it much until spring. Running and the TT bike are getting most of my attention for now.
    I'm back to this question again!
    I had a pretty good year, mostly on the tri-bars training for triathlon, but now I'm back on the Canyon for my weekend rides for a the next few months. However I never did pick up a set of mudguards for it and that's going to be necessary now if I want to ride with the club in wet weather.

So, did you ever find a satisfactory mudguard solution? I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 SC tyres in 25mm so that's going to make it even trickier based on your previous comments. I'd rather not change tyres but perhaps I'll have to? I was looking at a set of Crud Roadracer mark 2s but then remembered this thread so perhaps that won't work. :(

I'm also back looking for a dedicated tri bike now having decided I definitely like triathlon. Waiting to see what Canyon put on their site. There's no TT/Tri bikes on there at the moment. A Felt IA14 is another possibility. Still getting on well with your Speedmax AL?
  • 25mm, as I say the LBS spent quite a while trying to fit both sets of mudguards and whilst the raceblades did actually go on, the clearances were basically nil meaning they would almost certainly catch, not something I was prepared to risk.
    I had a pretty good year, mostly on the tri-bars training for triathlon, but now I'm back on the Canyon for my weekend rides for a the next few months. However I never did pick up a set of mudguards for it and that's going to be necessary now if I want to ride with the club in wet weather.

So, did you ever find a satisfactory mudguard solution? I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 SC tyres in 25mm so that's going to make it even trickier based on your previous comments. I'd rather not change tyres but perhaps I'll have to? I was looking at a set of Crud Roadracer mark 2s but then remembered this thread so perhaps that won't work. :(

I'm also back looking for a dedicated tri bike now having decided I definitely like triathlon. Waiting to see what Canyon put on their site. There's no TT/Tri bikes on there at the moment. A Felt IA14 is another possibility. Still getting on well with your Speedmax AL?

Hi

No I never did solve the mudguard issue, well that's not true, I did, nothing fits!! Not sure if any of the newer mudguard models will work but it was clearance that was the issue. I think it was the Cruds that went on, didn't catch in the shop but with weight / lateral movement on the bike they fouled.

Like you I've been welded to the TT bike most of the year and continue to be so. In answer to your Speedmax question, yes, getting along just fine with it. I'm potentially changing the cockpit for some PDQ bars, should be a bit more aero and being carbon slightly more comfortable, but I've not really had issues comfort wise. I've been really pleased with the Speedmax, with the wheels I added it goes very well.

Have a look on the Time Trial Forum for bikes and bits, some great bargains on there. No Speedmax's but something might take your fancy.
  • ai_1

Hi

No I never did solve the mudguard issue, well that's not true, I did, nothing fits!! Not sure if any of the newer mudguard models will work but it was clearance that was the issue. I think it was the Cruds that went on, didn't catch in the shop but with weight / lateral movement on the bike they fouled.

Like you I've been welded to the TT bike most of the year and continue to be so. In answer to your Speedmax question, yes, getting along just fine with it. I'm potentially changing the cockpit for some PDQ bars, should be a bit more aero and being carbon slightly more comfortable, but I've not really had issues comfort wise. I've been really pleased with the Speedmax, with the wheels I added it goes very well.

Have a look on the Time Trial Forum for bikes and bits, some great bargains on there. No Speedmax's but something might take your fancy.
    Thanks for the rapid reply.
    Sounds like I'm in for some frustration on the mudguard front!

I'll take your advice and have a look on the time trial forum. Not always the same priorities as triathlon but plenty overlap.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Well you certainly look long and low, did you have a bike fit? It looks a touch aggressive for me actually. My flexibility is poor.

Better do some stretching then ;).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mudguards which I know fit an Ultimate AL (54cm at a guess) are the Portland Design Works ones. There's a chap I see on my commute with them and have bought the same for my bike. See my sig below. They may require a bit of modding to get them to fit.

Only downside is they need to be 23mm tyres. The guards do come in a larger size for larger tyre clearances but not sure they will fit the frame through the brake bridge.
  • ai_1

Hi

I'll take your advice and have a look on the time trial forum. Not always the same priorities as triathlon but plenty overlap.
    Oops!

I dropped in to the LBS the other day and asked what mudguards they had that would fit me. They suggested Raceblades. I asked them to fit them for me to be sure since I didn't want to buy them, leave and then discover they didn't fit. They fitted the front and it seemed to fit. Somehow I was sure the Raceblades were not one of those you'd mentioned. They clear the tyres but they are very close. I haven't been out on them yet. I'm between minds on whether to use them or go back and query the recommendation.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Hi

Ai_1, are you after a Speedmax AL? If so, I'll be listing one in Medium on the classifieds as soon as there's a break in the weather to photograph it.
  • ai_1
    Hi mfin,

I probably won't get a Speedmax. I think the stack is too low for me. I'll be working on my neck flexibility over the next few months but at the moment my position isn't very low and I need to at least allow for the possibility that I won't improve on it substantially, just in case. I did olympic and middle distance triathlons this year on my current setup and I enjoyed them and was reasonably comfortable, but I'm not very aerodynamic. I'm confident I can go quite a bit faster with more disciplined training and a better position. I'm doing an Ironman next summer. It might be a one-off before returning to olympic and middle distance or it might turn out to be the first of several. Either way, it will require 5.5-6hrs in the aero bars and I need the bike I buy to allow for a position I can hold for that long.

The Felt B series have fairly generous stack and the Bayonet 3 bars give lots of adjustability. The Felt IA14 stack is in between the IA and Speedmax IIRC but may still allow enough rise via armrest spacers if needed. I don't think the Canyon will get me high enough without a lot of stem spacers and armrest spacers. The Scott Plasma is pretty big on stack but I don't know much about the rest of the setup. It would be a lot easier to decide if I had a more concrete position to work off but I need to allow for some uncertainty.
  • I have race blades on my CF SL with 25mm tyres and they fit fine.
  • ai_1
    I have race blades on my CF SL with 25mm tyres and they fit fine.
    The raceblades work on mine but the mounting brackets at the front brake calipers are a little too close. Only a mm or two of clearance. If I ride over a patch of damp grit it scrapes against the bracket for a few moments, quite annoying but not the end of the world. However the "25mm" Pro4 SCs are very, very deep so most 25s and all 23s should be fine.
  • Excellent bike. Enjoy! :)