Canyon CF SL 9.0

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited November 2015 in Your road bikes
Hi

Arrived 1 month early, looks way better in the flesh than on the pictures. Looking forward to thrashing her up some hills!!

Not the best pictures, but hopefully look ok.

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-1.jpg

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Very nice, enjoy. :)
  • Dave1441
    Dave1441 Posts: 96
    Is the finish carbon fibre or is it just black?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Looks terrific.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Lovely bike. I know you will love it and I know they are great rides

But aint they just a bit...........dull?
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Lovely bike, real classy :D Will serve you well :0 I'm guessing it's as light as a feather :)

Lovely bike. I know you will love it and I know they are great rides

But aint they just a bit...........dull?

Life's too short to be prick, he hasn't put his own touches to it yet :) Not even bottle cages
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Matt finish may look dull but I think understatement like this is class, and they are certainly not dull to ride, they are a terrific bike
    https://www.facebook.com/al.heeley/medi ... 256&type=3
  • smoggysteve
    IrishMac wrote:
    Life's too short to be prick

Yet you still manage to be!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Chain looks a little short to me - only in middle of cassette and yet already looks like the derailleur is nearly at the limit of range?

Looks very good though, nice lines to this frame.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • supermurph09
    I guess the styling is subjective, to me I think it looks classy, the finish is like a matte and i think even with the logos it's pretty understated. I own a cube agree that's a mix of white, red and black so the black of this Canyon really suits my preferred style. The most important thing to me was the spec and the quality of the bike itself, looks were secondary but as mentioned earlier I think it looks way better than I thought it would.

Fwiw the bottle cages will be black also! :D
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    very nice bike! enjoy
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    IrishMac wrote:
    Life's too short to be prick

Yet you still manage to be!

hm, I'm guessing you were offended by by what I said? That being a trivial matter, imagine how offended you'd be if I had just dissed your brand new 2G bike :shock:
    I guess the styling is subjective, to me I think it looks classy, the finish is like a matte and i think even with the logos it's pretty understated. I own a cube agree that's a mix of white, red and black so the black of this Canyon really suits my preferred style. The most important thing to me was the spec and the quality of the bike itself, looks were secondary but as mentioned earlier I think it looks way better than I thought it would.

Fwiw the bottle cages will be black also! :D

Cool, have a look at getting grey and black tyres like Schwalbe Durano S etc, might suit that bike down to the ground :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Looks great, looking fwd to hearing what you think as compared to the Cube. Glorious riding here this weekend hope it was for you also.
  • smoggysteve
    IrishMac wrote:
    hm, I'm guessing you were offended by by what I said? That being a trivial matter, imagine how offended you'd be if I had just dissed your brand new 2G bike :shock:

No not really, I know my bike has divided opinion because of the colour and the brand. if you put a picture of your bike on an open forum don't expect everyone to agree and go "ooh aint it pretty?"

This page is comparable to people who thrust new born babies under your nose and expect everyone to agree how beautiful it is. Well sorry but some kids and bikes are just ugly or dull.

I know how good Canyon bikes are. I ride with loads of guys who own them ( The factory is less than an hour away from me) and I have ridden a few myself. They are light, comfortable, Well built and ultimately DULL.
  • supermurph09
    No offence taken, the pictures were put up for opinion and for others who were thinking of ordering to see some different pictures. As mentioned the most important aspect of the bike for me is the performance, will report back tomorrow after 1st ride this evening.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    No offence taken, the pictures were put up for opinion and for others who were thinking of ordering to see some different pictures. As mentioned the most important aspect of the bike for me is the performance, will report back tomorrow after 1st ride this evening.

Looking good and look forward to reading your first impressions of the ride.

I've got the same frame on order, can't decide whether to go with white saddle and tape as yours came with or go all black.
  • supermurph09
    I would have preferred black and black as is shown on the Cyan colour frame on the site. But Canyon wouldnt allow that customisation.
  • iglooboy
    iglooboy Posts: 15
    How are you finding the seatpost?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    You've done some good pics there...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    So, what's the verdict? Hate it?
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Lovely looking bike, they are a joy to ride :)
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • supermurph09
    First proper ride today, fantastic machine!

First of all, unlike my Cube you feel that every ounce of effort is being transferred to propel you up the road, really does feel like it's pulling you along. Comfort wise it's also brilliant, everything has such a solid feel and the handling is impeccable, eats the bumps, without bouncing you around.

The 6800 is an absolute dream, going down the cassette the change is a solid button press, going up the cassette requires just a slight press and you get a positive click. Moving from small to big ring is met with equal precision. No missed changes, no wasted time going up hills.

Went up Bank Road in Matlock today and smashed my previous best, improving legs helped, but the bike must have shaved a few seconds off too. Brilliant bike, I'd change nothing on it.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    First proper ride today, fantastic machine!

First of all, unlike my Cube you feel that every ounce of effort is being transferred to propel you up the road, really does feel like it's pulling you along. Comfort wise it's also brilliant, everything has such a solid feel and the handling is impeccable, eats the bumps, without bouncing you around.

The 6800 is an absolute dream, going down the cassette the change is a solid button press, going up the cassette requires just a slight press and you get a positive click. Moving from small to big ring is met with equal precision. No missed changes, no wasted time going up hills.

Went up Bank Road in Matlock today and smashed my previous best, improving legs helped, but the bike must have shaved a few seconds off too. Brilliant bike, I'd change nothing on it.

Great to hear as I have the same bike on order minus the VCLS 2 seat post. Counting down the weeks.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Would you recommend the seat post ? And Is the geometry quite aggressive? Doesn't look to bad
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • supermurph09
    Miles253 wrote:
    Would you recommend the seat post ? And Is the geometry quite aggressive? Doesn't look to bad

I'm finding it really comfortable. Did a 10m TT today and normally I'd be sliding and fidgeting around but no problems.

Prefer to be climbing though!

7AF36A6C-5A25-4961-802F-B8AEFA5B6EDB.png
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Well you certainly look long and low, did you have a bike fit? It looks a touch aggressive for me actually. My flexibility is poor.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • supermurph09
    Not had a bike fit yet but will be doing so, although did the 103 miles at the Cheshire Cat and it felt brilliant.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I think it is like a breath of fresh air seeing an 'aggressive' riding position like that.

If you are putting in some good times and still feel comfortable, without pain, I wouldn't waste your money on a bike fit, just try a few tweaks here and there if you really feel the need to experiment.
  • supermurph09
    In fairness the only problem I have is cleat position on my right foot, but that is not bike related. Try as I might I cannot get it right!
  • supermurph09
    After 4 rides on the Canyon in the dry I reverted back to my Cube last night. It felt like I was riding a Tesco special, it felt so sluggish it was untrue, and that was with the deep rims on. It took a good 10 miles before the sluggishness wore off. The Canyon feels like its pulling you along, the Cube felt like I was pushing.

I'll use the Cube to train on, but this just shows how good the Canyon is. To be fair the Cube is now on offer for £1,200, Canyon was nearly £2,000. I guess the difference should be felt!!
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    I too have the CF SL 9.0 coming my way and UPS are saying I should have it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my Look. Thanks for the report and pictures.