GT i-Drive 4.0, worth keeping?

Fengol
Fengol Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
Ok, years back (2001) I got bought a GT i-Drive 4.0 (as seen in the attachment). The problem was that back then I just wasn't really into mountain biking. It got used occasionally for light on-road use but was then shelved for the best part of 10 years.

Since then I've become very involved in road cycling and have recently got the urge to take up mountain biking. The problem is that after digging this out of its storage, the front forks (Judy XC) are shot. The seals are gone and there's just no resistance in them at all (even when filled with a high weight oil).

My question is, is it worth forking out (no pun intended) the cash to buy new front forks (which will now probably mean disc brake mounts only, so the brakes and hubs will need replaced too) on what is now a 13 year old bike?
I've just moved over to Cumbria so will be mostly using it in and around the Lake District. Nothing particularly technical as I've not done much of this type of stuff before.

Part 2 of the question is that if you reckon it is worth keeping, what would you suggest as a replacement front fork?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure you can still get seals and it's an easy job to replace them, otherwise I'd look at buying a second hand set of Judies or somemthing - probably around £50 for a decent set. The rest of it looks nice and shiney

If you end up riding a lot consider a new bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some decent used forks, put them on, see how you go.

Not the best bike to be honest (even when new), but certainly good enough for you to get out and see if you enjoy it enough to be worth getting a better bike.

Coincidently there was one of those advertised locally to me last year, 2004 and had been ridden about 20 miles, not sure if that says more about the bike or the buyers!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The frames are heavy, and parts are not too easy to get - but the suspension is very, very good.