Helmets Peak or not to peak ?

ellerino
ellerino Posts: 37
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
What are the differences between an MTB helmet and a Road helmet other than the peak ?
I still wear my old mtb and find the peak handy as i wear glasses keeps the rain and mist off
Is it beneficial to have a road helmet or will my Mtb helmet suffice ?

Comments

• Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    if the peak doesnt obscure your view when on the hoods or drops there is no real difference.
  • It's mainly fashion. Road cyclists tend to wear caps. The peak on an MTB helmet isn't designed for the position on a road bike, particularly lower and/or in the drops, and therefore some might find it annoying, but caps can cause the same problem.

Wait for Sky to decide that a peak is more aero. ;)
  • ...find the peak handy as I wear glasses keeps the rain and mist off...
    So do I.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Take the peak off for roading, put it back on for MTBing or just buy two different helmet cos ur minted
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    No peak. When its raining peaked cycling cap under your lid. Simple.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    No peak for my road riding, cap under lid helps in the rain.

when mtb'ing i use a peaked helmet but cant really say ive noticed it coming in handy.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    That's easy: see Rule #35 :-)

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Is this a round about way of re-igniting the helmet / no helmet debate :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Andyh4324
    Andyh4324 Posts: 58
    I've had a peak in my helmet for ages. Someone pointed out that taking it off helped with their neck, so, I tried it and surprise surprise my neck doesn't suffer from the vague feeling of craning when in the drops/ hoods any more.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    The peak's not the only difference though. MTB helmets usually have smaller, more upright vents and sometimes extend more toward the back of the head/temples.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    arran77 wrote:

No.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Awww...
  • Initialised
    arran77 wrote:

I came off in a bike on bike incident a few years back. The peak on my helmet reduced the scratches to my face by getting between it and the ground, sadly it was on a day I forgot my gloves so I managed to skin three knuckles. In a meeting the next day my boss asked if I'd been fighting. I told him I'd been fighting the tarmac. But I digress, always wear a helmet, with a visor (it'll save your face) and never forget your gloves if you like having skin on your hands and don't want people thinking your into bare-knuckle fighting.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Surely a full face helmet would be better ?
  • Initialised
    cougie wrote:
    Surely a full face helmet would be better ?

Only if it's purple and highly polished.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's mainly fashion. Road cyclists tend to wear caps. The peak on an MTB helmet isn't designed for the position on a road bike, particularly lower and/or in the drops, and therefore some might find it annoying, but caps can cause the same problem.

Wait for Sky to decide that a peak is more aero. ;)

"Its for fashion but it obscures your view"... right.

Cycle caps are handy as you can flip them upwards and out of the way but if your MTB one isn't getting in the way, I wouldn't bother to change it. Although if you have cash to splash a nice roadie helmet is generally less bulky, lighter and better ventilated.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I had a slight twinge swapping from my peaked mtb helmet to my none peaked road specific version for some reason? I think I thought the roadie ones looked a bit odd at first! :? Soon got used to it though.

Just on a slight tangent, and I suspect I am in a minority of one here, but I wouldn't mind if they came a little bit lower at the back for a bit of added protection. I understand this will never happen. :wink:
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Pituophis wrote:
    I had a slight twinge swapping from my peaked mtb helmet to my none peaked road specific version for some reason? I think I thought the roadie ones looked a bit odd at first! :? Soon got used to it though.

Just on a slight tangent, and I suspect I am in a minority of one here, but I wouldn't mind if they came a little bit lower at the back for a bit of added protection. I understand this will never happen. :wink:

I like the MTB lids for.the reason that they are lower on the back as well as smother, so less drag on the road if/when i crash. I use a MTB lid with peak. Two bikes one lid :)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    wear what the hell you want to wear, if you can't make a decision as simple as that you're in trouble :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    neilo23 wrote:
    That's easy: see Rule #35 :-)

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

groaaaaan :cry:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I wear a MTB helmet on my road and mountain bikes with a peak. A few days ago the peak kept the hail storm off my face. Handy for sun glare as well at times.
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    I prefer Campag.
    You may prefer Campag, but would you wave at another cyclist who had a peaked helmet? Especially one who hadn't shaved his legs?!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I sometimes wear a peaked helmet when I'm riding my CX bike offroad - where does that leave me? TBH, most helmet peaks are pretty useless - they're too high and out the way to serve any real function and just there to satisfy the demand for MTB riders who want to look 'different'. If I want to keep cr@p out my eyes, I wear a cotton cap under my helmet (but not with a peaked helmet - that's just too weird to contemplate!)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ellerino
    ellerino Posts: 37
    wear what the hell you want to wear, if you can't make a decision as simple as that you're in trouble :|
    Having never owned a road biased helmet, didnt know if there was any design benefit or advantage from having one. No trouble
    didnt realise i was opening such a can of worms

Campag and i only shave my left leg :!:
  • Initialised
    ellerino wrote:
    Having never owned a road biased helmet, didnt know if there was any design benefit or advantage from having one. No trouble

I think this thread has already peaked!
  • bianchimoon
    ellerino wrote:

apologies, my remarks were out of order, simple truth is if a peak isn't obscuring your vision or causing you neck ache from lifting head higher when in a road position then peaked or no peak helmet will make no difference at all :)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I used to wear the same mtb helmet for road and mtb. I now use a road helmet for both, with a cap.

The cap is better in the rain and the water finds it's way to the peak and drips off. The mtb helmets with peaks would allow the rain to come through the vents, soak the sweat infused pads and then drip into my eyes. The mtb peak did little to keep rain out of my face.

I've read of a few people who have had injuries made worse by the mtb peak cutting into the nose or cheek.

Some mtb helmets have adjustable peaks, if you move these so they allow better vision on the drops, they then catch the wind.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • YellaBelly
    YellaBelly Posts: 130
    I took the peak off my MTB helmet because it was hovering in the top of my eye-sight, and that's when riding my XC race bike. I'll probably be shunned by the MTB community for such a thing, but then I wear lycra and race which is odd to a lot of off-roaders anyway. But I digress, the point is do whatever fits best for you.