Calf Pain

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
I've been getting calf pains when riding, mainly in my left calf but sometimes in both.

This manifests itself as a painful cramp type pain, usually about 2 hours into a ride. Yesterday this happened and I had to stop and stretch but could still feel the pain, but carried on. However it has previously been so painful I have actually fallen off, embarrassingly. I usually warm up with some gentle spinning around before starting the ride proper, and pretty much always do static post ride streches on calves, quads and hamstrings as a minimum (I do a lot of powerlifting type weight training so stretching makes a big difference).

The pain is still there in my left calf from yesterday's ride, so nearly 24 hours on. This is only a dull pain now, but feels like it is deep in the centre of the calf muscle, and up to the back of the knee.

Any ideas how to prevent this?

Comments

• Could be dehydration, or just saddle hight?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mcnultycop
    I drank plenty of fluid, saddle height wasn't consistent, as the dropper was up and down (I was at Cragg Quarry, this time).
  • I've had this and went for physio so that would be my first call, secondly check your bike setup especially the cleats.
    I had to do toe/heel lifts to strengthen the calf muscles. Stand upto a wall hands out resting against it. Lift your heel up using the toes/front of foot and repeat ideally up to 50 reps, when I started I could only do 12 reps.Afterwards do some static stretches. Use a foam roller to massage the muscle which helps "untangle" the fibrous muscle and helps to make it straight again. I now do both exercises every couple of days and so far so good.
  • mcnultycop
    Cheers mate, I don't wear clip less though (other than on the road bike, but I've had this before I got the road bike). I train powerlifting so my calves are strong, and I use the foam roller already!

I've been using High 5 and it actually seems to gave made a difference, no problems in a couple of hours riding up at Lee and Cragg today.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You are looking at the right things, some people are just more prone to cramps than others. I never get them but get massive power failure if I don't eat a lot cycling. My mate is the opposite can ride for hours without eating but gets cramps more easily.