Recovering from training camp

Kylabr88
Kylabr88 Posts: 35
Hi all in need of some advice I've just come back from a very successful block of training in Majorca,I was probably abit to enthusiastic I tripled my training load during that week(had no winter base training) and added a recovery day.probably over did it but I was just so happy being back on the bike after catching a virus in 2013 2 days after my last training camp and was bed bound for a year.i made sure I had sufficient recovery I went alone and locked myself in my apartment in bed or the sofa when I wasn't training.i got back had 3 days off the bike,then on my first ride my legs felt blocked so I just spinned for a hour,the next day I stupidly did the club ride it was ferocious but I still couldn't get the power out let alone ride at threshold I was abit embarrassed because my mate who hasn't ridden for 7 months was pacing me.i know I should really learn from my previous silly mistakes but how many days or recovery rides should I do when recovering from a hard block of training.ive got my first race after 18months on Sunday aswell and all I would like to do is finish......for now

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Sounds like you've totally overdone it in Spain.
    If you don't feel good after a few days recovery you should be going to the GP not on here looking for advice.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Were you at Stuart Hall?

I too just got back, having done 1000km in 8 days, including lots of mountains and Sa Calobras!

I too was knackered when I got home (I got a bit ill mid-week too). I've done an easy week back home, nothing strenuous and eaten like crazy (I lost 2kg, despite demolishing the buffet every night).

Only now, a week later do I feel fully recovered, and quite a bit fitter.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    recently did a training camp and came back with a better base than I have ever had. Did my first training race and was dreadful vs my performance in the same type of training last year.

The difference for me was that 15 days riding was at FTP or below, building my base and FTP.

Racing is short bursts above FTP, recover and then go again and again. This hasnt been trained yet.

I wouldnt worry took much. Personally I would do a couple of long, slow endurace rides. Take a day of and then you should be nicely recovered. That approached worked for me after I over trained on the camp.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Kylabr88
    Kylabr88 Posts: 35
    No didn't go with Stuart hall went alone to focus with no distractions.I do realise I've overcooked it done probably to much I was doing 5-7 hours a day just below threshold and then the last hour full gas,I let my head take over.Ive done a 1 hour recovery ride today and struggled with that,it's feel like all the strength & power is gone.ive been back 6 days now should I just take it steady do recovery rides or lay off the bike and after few more days seek GP advice?
    Mark I think you right aswell all I've done is base training and sometimes it's a shock to the system when you get reacquainted to interval training or race training.
    Thanks for the advice