Broken Hip. @ 10 months

13»

Comments

• drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    Been for x-ray & consultation today and......

LOOKING GOOD!
    No signs of AVN at the moment and alls lined up well.

I can ride my bike steadily from next week!

11 1/2 weeks.

Get a very good physio & believe in yourself!!
    chris
  • drummer
    Well, just over 3 months now!

Just ack from 2 weeks in Italy and I rode the bike I have there for an hour, every other day.

Felt great to be back riding, although a tadge nervous.

I walked a bit too much which left the leg feeling tired at times.

Overall I'm happy.

Back this week and a good session with my physio.

One worry is its not getting any easier at all walking upstairs. It seems this may be the screws rubbing against muscle, tendons etc.

I'm thinking if this doesn't start to improve then I'm going to need these screws out at some stage!
    chris
  • drummer
    Ok, here we are at 4 months post crash!

Bad news first:
    I have osteoporosis!
    The screws are quite stuck out from the bone!
    Going up stairs isn't getting any easier!
    Still got a limp!
    Still quite a bit of muscle soreness!

Good news:
    Still riding my bike!
    Getting weight back under control!
    Injured leg is getting stronger in gym!

I'm working off my iPad so I don't think I can up load a photo. Be good to let you see my last x-ray.
    The screws are a fair way out which I think is going to result in them needing to come out. That said I'm still only at 4 months and most people say it needs at least 12 months for you to have a feeling of how everything's settled.

Now on medication for the osteorosis so I'm riding as carefully as possible. Hopefully bones should be built back up in a couple of years.

It's a roller coaster this one..........
    chris
  • Gutted to hear about your bad news mate. I hope things do start to settle for you. Just to help set your mind at ease (hopefully), im at almost 5 and a half months now and have only just recently started walking more than a couple of hundred metres without using the crutch to take a bit of weight. I also still limp a bit as it hurts a little if I dont although this is improving daily.
    I also still get mild pain on the outside of my leg in the area of the metal work which will hopefully settle in time.
    Keep your chin up mate!

Mick
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I hope the recovery is going well.

I feel your pain as I am recovering from a serious right elbow break (non-cycling) over the last 12 months and there have been times during that period I've been so down wondering if I could move the arm (pain free) again or having to re-learn to do everything with my left arm (I'm right handed). The problem then affected the shoulder and so things continued until recently. I'm single but had the support of one or two real good friends which I don't know if I can ever repay. You have the support of your family and that is a huge thing to have to keep you going through these dark times.

As for stopping riding...tough call. As much as the 'pull' to continue is, it is (in my opinion) foolhardy to ignore the consequences of another serious injury occurring and the effect upon the family who are the ones who have to support you; not us internet non-entities :)

Keep following the guidance and doing the exercises also keep up the recovery forum reports; stories of inspiration really do help others who are in a similar situation.
  • drummer
    OK 5months and 2 weeks!

Had an x-Ray last week and everything is still looking good! No sign of the dreaded AVN yet so fingers crossed for that!

However....... The screws have turned out a bit more which is causing plenty of pain from. Rubbing on the scar tissue and the ligaments.
    Doc says they won't consider removal until at least 18 months so I'm a way off yet!

Only had a few outdoor rides as weather been pooh, but doing turbo and gym work. Weight still needs to come off which in all honesty is getting me down a bit. My own fault for not been disciplined enough!! Plus one or 2 pals have happily pointed the fact out to me, which was great!!!, :oops:

Up stairs still crap but glutes getting stronger so walking is much better although I still have a slight limp.

All in all, docs say I couldn't have recovered any quicker or better than I have and that I should be very happy with my progress.

Hoping to pop to Italy in a few weeks and get 4/5 solid rides in. Weathers better and it should help me shift some of this belly.

If you've just broken your hip and are reading this..... BE STRONG!
    You can get back, just do everything in a controlled manner.

Ciao
    chris
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress. Pleased that you are continuing to make progress in small steps
  • drummer
    Right I'm at 10 months now!

Overall I'm ok, screws are a real problem and I'm hoping to get them out as soon as!

I've just arranged to ride the gran Fondo Mont Blanc for my local cancer hospital so hopefully I can get round ok!

Did a few 2 hour rides whilst in Italy for the new year & all in all,I felt ok.

Soon as weather clears I'm going to start training for this charity ride as it will give me something to aim for.

I think I'm doing better than was expected so I've got to be HAPPY!
    chris
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Well done and good to hear of your progress! Keep up the positive mental attitude. It goes a long way :)
    Give yourself something to look forward like a great ride out! :D
    I'm at 3 years now and don't really get any problems with my metalwork anymore TBH like I did in the first 18 months so it may ease over time if they don't remove them.
  • drummer
    simonfr wrote:
    Well done and good to hear of your progress! Keep up the positive mental attitude. It goes a long way :)
    Give yourself something to look forward like a great ride out! :D
    I'm at 3 years now and don't really get any problems with my metalwork anymore TBH like I did in the first 18 months so it may ease over time if they don't remove them.

My problems the screws Simon. They're backing out a fair way now!
    chris
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Ooooo ouch. That must be uncomfortable, if not downright painful! :(
    Have the Docs said when they will remove them? Are they trying to get to an imaginary line before they will take them out to ensure the fracture is stable enough?
    And lastly, will they put you on crutches and partial weight bearing when they do take them out until the 'holes' fill in?
    Luckily the pain and discomfort from my Hip Screw settled down over time.
  • macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    drummer wrote:
    Long story short:

After a bit of a cloudy, dull day in Sheffield on Monday the sun rolled out at around 6pm.

So, I put the rollers back & decided to go out in the fresh air for a quick hour.

Off I went & for no real reason decided to try a different quick route round town.

Approaching a main junction I stopped at a red light. Set off again, and crossed the tram tracks at an angle of at least 45 degrees and was going no more than 10mph.
    No warning, no wobble, the front wheel went violently underneath me & I hit the ground HARD.

No way I could get up and the traffic came to a standstill and the paramedics duly arrived. I was administered gas & air and also morphine even though they didn't think I'd broken anything.

Tried to roll me on to a back board &............... PAIN!

Anyway, to the hospital and in to x-ray. Dr walks up & says "bad news Richard.......BROKEN HIP!".

In to theatre where they pin the fracture. They decided against a straight replacement due to my age (40).

Had an epidural in the operation but managed to wake up half way thought so had to have anaesthetic as well!!

So After a sleepless night in a hip fracture ward, (mostly old patients) 2 young Dr's come on to the ward to see me.
    They were a bit vague on everything but said once I'd done the 'stair test' I old be allowed home later in the week.

I'd already said I didn't want anymore morphine so when the physio came round I said grab some crutches & let's try these stairs!
    Managed to do it ok.
    Fracture nurse came round & told me probably 8/10 weeks with no weight, up to 2 years for full rehab etc etc. Never saw or had any conversation with my surgeon either before or after!!

DEVASTATED!

Now it's Saturday morning & here I lay with a busted hip, confidence shattered and feeling thoroughly ****** off!!

So, what now?
    Not much, investigating physio's as other than hydro pool don't really want to use general NHS ones (no offence in that). It's just that at 40, I need to make sure I do this right cos if I don't then it could maybe mean years of discomfort & also no training. Having my pals & family round for visits, watching the Giro on TV etc etc.

I work in professional sport and have always kept fit & active. To hear a Dr say they had no idea where I'd end up was CRUSHING.

I'd put weight on over Xmas & new year and with the crap weather I'd felt myself getting in a rut. So for the last 2 weeks I'd been out almost everyday. In the cold, damp, wet determined to get back in good shape & enjoy the summer, then...........

Sorry to hear that man!
    I had a crash this past saturday but luckily mine wasn't as bad as yours, head & leg plus shattered helmet.

Remember it all starts with your mind... "what you think, you become" so try to be positive and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Find something you can do to cheer you up.