Broken Hip. @ 10 months

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Unfortunately the more severe the injury, the longer it takes to agree a settlement. Plus the sorts that don't bother with insurance are the sorts that don't normally have assets to go after. MIB claims seem to take age.

I have one going through against a Polish truck company at the moment. Strangely despite having all of his driving, passport, green card insurance details and a heap of witnesses. The insurance Co are saying he's uninsured and untraceable, as they know that it will be cheaper for them.
  • It makes me sick how these people get away with it. The ones that put there hands up to it should be punished but the ones with no insurance, fail to appear, deny it etc etc.... They should be hammered in court.
    Makes my blood boil how this country allows this to happen!!
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Driving without insurance should lead to automatic disqualification - and a second offense to a (short) prison sentence.
  • aaagh, wish u well. makes my crash seem small. good luck.
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    Just had a call back from the surgeons assistant.

Apparently I have 3 screws in a 'neckafemur' fracture.

Not sure if this info changes anything.

Apparently a nurse told my other half that I'd only had 1 Dynamic Hip Screw in, now I'm told 3 normal screws (can't remember name).

My appointment isn't for another 6 weeks so I need to get moving ASAP with a good physio!
    chris
  • Hi mate, its the 'neck of femur' that'll be fractured. It may be worth chatting to a physio therapist about it but when I broke my hip I also damaged my shoulder. Ive had several physio sessions on the shoulder however, they said its too soon to start on the hip.
    This is however the NHS and from what ive seen so far, they are stretched to the point that your health doesn't matter to them.
  • drummer
    The screws I have are 'cannulated'.

Not sure why I have these and not DHS and nobody at hospital seems able to tell me?
    chris
  • drummer
    Ok, so one day short of 2 weeks after my fall.

I sprang about 5 days researching private physio's as I know how important it is to make the right choice.

Had a really good talk with a chap this week. He's worked in Pro Tour cycling & with Team GB so I'm happy to have trust in him.
    He gave me a real boost just through our talk on the phone. He explained CLEARLY what it would take to get fit again and also that he would hope to have me on the turbo in next 2 weeks!
    He explained that getting 'back to normal' wouldn't be a problem as long as we did the work & did things properly.
    He told me he knew loads of people who'd had this injury and they had all come back as good as before.

I decided to come off all pain killers on on Friday morning. They were playing havoc with my 'works' and I didn't want to get used to taking them.
    It's still very painful but I think maybe a lot of this is through the muscle been cut open. Not sure though?

I'm watching the Giro everyday and looking at bikes & cycling forums constantly!!
    In fact I've just taken delivery of the new pink Giro shirt!

Not sure how to feel about,the bike yet. The mrs & kids are going full on about 2 bad ones is enough .& what next? Etc etc.

I'm passionate about my bike though & I truly love being out.

We'll have to wait & see!
    chris
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Great to hear the update and that the physio has made you feel much more positive about the recovery. Good luck.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Glad to hear the physio thinks you'll be back on the bike as normal! As much as you should listen to people who tell you not to ride anymore, I wouldn't listen to them. If you love it then carry on - it's pointless throwing the bike away and being depressed for the rest of your life. Enjoy yourself :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    drummer wrote:
    Not sure how to feel about,the bike yet. The mrs & kids are going full on about 2 bad ones is enough .& what next? Etc etc.

I'm passionate about my bike though & I truly love being out.

We'll have to wait & see!

Anything could happen, it's just bad luck thats all.

Theres more chance of you being killed in a car crash but you still let your kids ride in a car.

Maybe just ride in an area with no level crossings in the future.

Just the other week a wife decided to make a nice bowl of mushroom soup, look how that turned out :shock:
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    OK, where to start. DHS (Dynamic Hip screw) is used for Neck of femur fractures in elderly osteoporotic patients whose bone will collapse during healing and who need to mobilise quickly to prevent them dying.

You have three cannulated screws as you have young strong bone. Cannulated means they made a smaller hole, put in 3 wires and then ran the screws over the wires.

Downside is that you will possibly need to be a bit more careful in the first 4-6 weeks with weight bearing until union starts to occur but then will do much better.

I would think you could swim from about 10 days. I walked into the water with my crutches and then left them on the side of the pool.

I would use the DR Foster web site to find either a trauma surgeon or sports/knee surgeon in your area. At your next clinic visit photgraph the X-ray with your mobile.

Go and see the surgeon privately with the photo of the X-ray and ask his advice. Physios are great but they have not done the surgery and not seen the X-ray.

There is no reason why you cannot be riding again by July august.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Gutted for you, really am
  • drummer
    edited May 2013
    OK, where to start. DHS (Dynamic Hip screw) is used for Neck of femur fractures in elderly osteoporotic patients whose bone will collapse during healing and who need to mobilise quickly to prevent them dying.

You have three cannulated screws as you have young strong bone. Cannulated means they made a smaller hole, put in 3 wires and then ran the screws over the wires.

Downside is that you will possibly need to be a bit more careful in the first 4-6 weeks with weight bearing until union starts to occur but then will do much better.

I would think you could swim from about 10 days. I walked into the water with my crutches and then left them on the side of the pool.

I would use the DR Foster web site to find either a trauma surgeon or sports/knee surgeon in your area. At your next clinic visit photgraph the X-ray with your mobile.

Go and see the surgeon privately with the photo of the X-ray and ask his advice. Physios are great but they have not done the surgery and not seen the X-ray.

There is no reason why you cannot be riding again by July august.

Chris! You've just managed to tell me more than any of the doctors who were looking after me. As for the surgeon, I haven't even met him yet! Thanks
    chris
  • drummer
    Looking forward to seeing the physio on Wednesday.

Joint been really stiff today & the muscle feeles really sore.

Next time, I'll get off and walk on the pavement I think.

Glad I'm off all the pain killers as side effects were rubbish! (Toilet problems)
    chris
  • kayakerchris
    When i said go and see the surgeon I meant find one on the Dr Foster web site and then arrange to see him privately. It will probably cost £130-150. Take the photo of your X-ray and dont have a private X-ray (£500). Write down the questions you want to ask and take them in with you. A new patient private consultation should get you 20-30 minutes of the surgeons time. Use it all!

Ask him to put all his comments in his letter and send you a copy. Give that letter to your physio who will then have a formal plan to work from.

I would have though that using a turbo trainer on zero resistance and steady cadence from about 4-5 weeks would be possible as this would stimulate bone healing without excessive loading.

For pain. Use paracetamol and big gel ice packs. You can apply an ice pack every hour if need be over a damp towel.

You can start massaging the area from now on to gradually reduce the swelling and get the muscles gliding again.
  • drummer
    When i said go and see the surgeon I meant find one on the Dr Foster web site and then arrange to see him privately. It will probably cost £130-150. Take the photo of your X-ray and dont have a private X-ray (£500). Write down the questions you want to ask and take them in with you. A new patient private consultation should get you 20-30 minutes of the surgeons time. Use it all!

Ask him to put all his comments in his letter and send you a copy. Give that letter to your physio who will then have a formal plan to work from.

I would have though that using a turbo trainer on zero resistance and steady cadence from about 4-5 weeks would be possible as this would stimulate bone healing without excessive loading.

For pain. Use paracetamol and big gel ice packs. You can apply an ice pack every hour if need be over a damp towel.

You can start massaging the area from now on to gradually reduce the swelling and get the muscles gliding again.

Chris, you sound like your experienced in this!!

One of my main worries is blood flow in the bone not getting through & the joint dying. Apparently the odds aren't great on that!!
    The other is psychologically getting back on the bike eventually!
    chris
  • drummer
    Had my first private physio session yesterday.

He was really professional and for me very reassuring.

As of yet, still no weight bearing so it was mainly releasing pressure around my joints and working my muscles.

After, my leg felt much lighter and wasn't as sore in movement so definitely feeling better.
    I need to keep doing my movement drills and he was really confident that once I can partial weight bear that I'll be able to really get going.

He works in pro cycling so as a leisure rider & a fan, it's good to know he's dealt with lots of these injuries.

I'm a bit bruised this morning, but in a good way. I'm looking forward to next weeks session & time to get doing my exercises in the pool!!

Upwards & onwards!!
    Sill getting family negativity about riding again but.........
    chris
  • drummer
    Started moving around this morning & now the bruising is really staring to kick in after yesterday's manipulation!!

1 word............... SORE
    chris
  • kayakerchris
    If you are bruised and sore then hit it with the ice packs. A lot of people swear by arnica as well although that may be a myth.

The problem with the blood supply is that the blood vessels run up the neck of the femur into the head and can be torn when you break the bone. There is nothing you can do about that. It either happened or didn't. If it didnt you are Ok. If they were torn you are probably going to need a joint replacement sooner than later.
  • drummer
    It's been 3 weeks since my crash &.......... I'm going absolutely stir crazy!!!!

I think when something like this happens to people like us, it triggers a major change in our daily lives & habits & it's VERY hard to come to terms with.

I'm doing a bit of upper body stuff in the gym now & doing my movement exercises I the pool. It feels good just to be moving and getting out for an hour!

It's very stiff when I've finished & I sleep like a log after!

The leg is self is not quite as painful but it's just very sore in the joint and also where they've cut through my quad so I suppose it's just time......

Another private physio appointment on Thursday & then on Friday I have a session with an NHS physio in the hydro pool so I'll see how that goes!

If I can offer any advice it's this....... Enjoy riding your bikes & don't take it for granted.

We all (me included) keep pushing to get better as even at 40 I still expect a call from Brailsford. But now, I just wish I could meet my pals, go out & have a laugh whilst keeping fit.

Oh we'll, I'll keep going!
    chris
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Hello

Being out and about on your bike, probably seems a distant dot on the horizon at present but you will get there and who knows we may have an Indian summer this year for you to enjoy (you are not missing much with the current weather - temperature and wind are driving me nuts).

You certainly appear to be approaching things the right way - just watch the food intake :-)

Chin up!

Best wishes

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • drummer
    Tomorrow is 4 weeks post crash.

These last 4/5 days things have gotten easier.

My scar has healed really well. I've been using a quality Bio-Oil & this seems to have really helped.

The physio is really happy (or says he is) but this weeks session was a killer. Still ROM work as cant weight bear yet.
    I'm going to the gym everyday to do the exercises in the pool and also doing my upper body weights. On Friday & yesterday I did 10 minutes on a spinning bike just letting my legs turn.

Feeling a lot more positive but I get fed up really quickly when im stuck in the house.

The physio told me he cold see me riding steadily by mid July if everything goes ok & I stick to the plan. This would coincide with going to my holiday home in Italy where i keep a bike.

I haven't told the mrs this yet..........
    chris
  • drummer
    Ok! Today is 5 weeks post op.

Today I had a NHS session in the Hydropool with a physio.

She did some tests first and believe it or not said that she hadn't seen anybody with my rom and recovery at 5 weeks!
    What a shot in the arm!!!!

Tomorrow is my first appointment with my surgeon. The physio said she wouldn't be surprised if he allowed partial weight bearing already.
    Not getting my hopes up but I felt so much better.

I told her everything I'd been doing and her words were "congratulations, you've shown commitments and whatever your doing, it's worked!

My groin is still sore, but she said its completely normal and to give it time.

I wasn't really looking forward to the Hydropool session but I enjoyed it and did some resistence exercises in the pool that felt really good & I could feel it working my leg.

Tomorrow is surgeon & then an hour after that I have a bone density test.
    Then Thursday morning seeing my private physio so see how that goes.

I've still got a long way to go & I'm definitely not getting carried away.

BUT, the first few weeks felt absolutely 'dark' and I felt lost.

But hopefully, if any of you end up in the same position (I hope you don't), WORK HARD AND KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Try and keep positive and get opinions ASAP.

I'll keep you informed as we go along.

Can't believe how common this injury is.

Spoke to one of my riding pals today and though I'm in a better place now, I still have a sense of disbelief that its happened. But...... It has so I've got to keep battling on!
    chris
  • drummer
    Ok gang!

I'm now at 7 1/2 weeks post crash.

Over the last 4/5 days the acute pain in my groin has gone. ,y physio told me that once I went partial weight bearing it would, but i still had dark thoughts about AVN.

Anyway, still doing gym work nut for the last few days (since going partial) have also incorporated some low resistence leg work.

All seems well!

If using gym ball for shallow squats & box to use for some step ups.

Still on spinning bike & out of the saddle feeles tight but ok.

Cross-Trainer is a different story!! Very sore at first & really felt all over the place!
    Can't do more than 3 minutes!

Tonight was the biggie......turbo trainer on my own bike (which doesn't have a single mark from the crsh!!). It felt GREAT to be back on my bike,

Did 35 minutes fairly light, but just sitting in my normal position felt comforting. I was sweating like nuts & I'm shattered now but I'm making good progress.

The physio says that I'm flying (at the moment) so,all seems ok!

If this ever turns up on a search for somebody having this injury I hope it might give them the belief that if you do everything right, you have a chance of getting right again!

Fingers are still crossed.........
    chris
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I'm so glad you're doing well and are eager to get back on the bike! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • drummer
    OK Chaps, here we are at nearly 10 weeks!

My main worry which has been the groin pain has started to subside over the last week or so. HUGE RELIEF!

Started doing some turbo work the week before last, but a virus left me feeling flat last week so I just rested.

Felt better last day or so, so did 40 on the turbo and felt fine.

First few goes on the turbo were funny. Lost about 2 buckets of sweat in 20 minutes!! Slept like a baby also after!

I'm finding that my quad becomes sore very quickly if I've been sedentary, it just feels really tight & 'achey' when it's not moved much.

My gluteus and hip flexes are sore as they are finally staring to get used again.

Overall, I feel like I'm making progress.

Last wee was a black one. Infection in my leg left me feeling really lifeless. That & the knowledge I'd put a few lbs on left me feeling really miserable. But you have to just keep your head down & keep going.

My physio has been the BEST investment!!

Excellent knowledge, understanding & works in Pro Cycling...... RESULT!

He's helped me keep the faith with the programme & still insists that I'm flying in terms of recovery time.

Back to hospital on 16th, then hopefully off the crutches.

Holiday in Italy a couple of weeks after. My ambition is to ride my bike to the next village, about 11km! Have a macchiato, then turn round and come back!

Too ambitious? Maybe! But that's my aim!
    chris
  • kayakerchris
    Congratulations. Really pleased that it has all worked out for you.

Chris
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Get yourself a good private physio and advise from a consultant - when the time is right from a healing point of view, a physio will have you back on the road (and your bike) far quicker than following the NHS advice - they are always a little cautious. I mean 2 years! Really! Come on you will get back quicker than that! But anyway, good luck, keep your chin up and hope you heal really quick.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Ok should have read the other posts! It appears you are on the road to recovery...excellant!