Struggling since changing bike on turbo

dread_i1
dread_i1 Posts: 178
After putting my summer bike away for winter and being back on my winter bike for both turbo and road I've been struggling to complete trainer road workouts at the same FTP as on my good bike. I relegated the wheels from the nice bike to the winter bike as I've got some handbuilts for the spring so the only difference is the tyres and the rest of the drivetrain.

Has anyone else found a big difference between power output relative the which bike is on the turbo.

Jon

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Motivation to go faster is lower on the turbo. You'll get used to it.
    Keep cool and hydrated
  • dread_i1
    Yeah this is true but I found I could maintain a higher wattage with less effort on my good bike than I can on my winter bike even though the wheels are the same
  • Is both your bikes set up identically? Sometimes a slight variation between the saddle heights or reach etc can be responsible for this.
  • dread_i1
    Yeah everything is pretty much to the mm between the two. Think I'll put the wheels back on my good bike just to make sure it's not me.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You're probably producing the same watts at a point where your foot is pushing on the pedal but the measured watts are being calculated at a different point. So, you need to make allowances for the effect when you change things with your set up. Even using a different tyre can make a difference. About the only thing you can do roughly is see what heart rate you get for a wattage output for the different set ups. There are other parameters to take in to account. What is needed is a divice that can be attached to pedals (difficult) or the axle that turns the chain ring electrically and then just multiply volts by amps = watts. A factor is then applied to the measured output watts at the rear wheel or turbo roller.
    This effect is also apparent when changing the wheels on a road bike or training on a completely different bike.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • dread_i1 wrote:
    After putting my summer bike away for winter and being back on my winter bike for both turbo and road I've been struggling to complete trainer road workouts at the same FTP as on my good bike. I relegated the wheels from the nice bike to the winter bike as I've got some handbuilts for the spring so the only difference is the tyres and the rest of the drivetrain.

Has anyone else found a big difference between power output relative the which bike is on the turbo.

Jon
    How are you measuring power?
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 wrote:

Jon
    How are you measuring power?

Been using trainer road and the display from my turbo (tacx flow). Maybe not as accurate as a power meter but both seem pretty close to each other and apart from the change in bike, other factors such as tyre pressures, time of day, nutrition have always been fairly consistent.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    A tiny difference in position, and I mean tiny, can have more weight over the rear wheel making things harder.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    on a tacx the turbo clamps the rear qr so whether you sit back or not makes no difference.
    but if your using dif tires(which u said you are, same wheels) then they could have a slightly dif rolling diameter, more pressure on turbo roller? also, tire pressures?
  • different tyre pressures(low) /tread and worn chain are common reasons for lower output on TAcx Flow if I recall correctly