Carrera Kraken - with new wheels 25/11/2014 (page 6) - 9.6Kg

Comments

• Has anyone suggested polishing the frame back yet?!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It has been suggested....I sprayed it before I really thought about it....when it comes time for some major work I'll probably get that done then, right now it's just 40g over 10Kg with a RaRa front and a RoRo rear!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Latest update time!
    A few little bits and pieces done, some functional, some to save weight....

KCNC grips added, the exotic carbon were pants and far too soft and squidgy, gave a feeling of no control, and aging badly, amazingly the KCNC are also slightly lighter!
    The Hayes front disc picked up a slight warp so has been replaced with a lighter A2Z Tepan yaki floating (fingers crossed on durability!) and the top cap has given way to a Mt Zoom Ti/ally affair which weighs in at just 5g, bought for a princely 99p from a local seller on eBay (no I wouldn't pay a tenner for it!)
    The Promax carbon seatpost was delaminating so has been replaced by a far east one piece carbon (no alloy top) and the horrid Hope clamp has made way for a KCNC forged/CNC with Ti hardware, it's as light as many non QR clamps and is a work of art!
    Weight is now solidly (right word?) under 10Kg, weighing in right now at 9928g, not bad for a budget Halfords Carrera!
    Excuse the indoor photos but I've had a minor throat op and the cold air outside hurts a bit!
    20140128_113731_zps9sc66fds.jpg
    20140128_113747_zpsgwhx7cdx.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Thats stupidly light. Mine weighs 12.1 KG and its rigid, and small. :lol:

Is the Kraken a really light frame?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You have one Dual Control lever!?

Which cable outer do you use? Quaxar stuff is very light and not silly money - as you're running full length outer you'd stand to lose a bit there.
  • The Rookie
    Hi GT, the Kraken frame (well all the same age Carrera MTB's had the same frame) is fairly light at 1735g painted, similar to the same age/size Rockhopper (and lighter than a lardrock), most my weight saving has been through careful attention to detail. I could shave another 80g off the wheels with butted spokes, but they came plain gauge and have stayed that way (so far) for example.

That's a small (16") frame.

Njee, yes it's a 1x9, so yes one dual control lever, the other is a Saint M800 lever (same part as an M765 XT but painted grey not silver), not full length outer (brake and gear are similar colour!), just to the top of the downtube and then from the chainstay to the rear mech, so running Jagwires (the 2 lengths of outer with end caps comes to 16g, so the cost/g saved of Quaxar would be quite high!)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    All that's left is to change the frame ;)
  • The Rookie
    Haha, does loyalty mean nothing?

Am considering getting it stripped which will save about 200g, in which case a decent carbon frame would only save about 250g.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    The Rookie wrote:
    Am considering getting it stripped which will save about 200g

Obsess much?

Just kidding... as a weight saving exercise on a budget this is really good.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    carbon, or just a lighter frame would save the best part of a lb, quite a big saving! Impressive weight given the current frame though, dread to think how long it would it take for it to fall apart with me riding it though! :lol:
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Out of interest, how much money do you think you've thrown at what was only a £350ish(??) bike new? That being said, I still doubt that you could get something of comparable weight for anywhere near the cost of the swapped parts.

How are you getting on with the KCNC grips? I'm tempted by a pair!
  • The Rookie
    miceden wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Am considering getting it stripped which will save about 200g

Obsess much?
    Obsess a lot!

As an engineer I do enjoy 'optimising' the bike on what is a tight budget (self imposed - I'm not a good enough rider to justify a bigger one!), it's not the same fun as riding the bike, but fun none the less.
    lawman wrote:
    carbon, or just a lighter frame would save the best part of a lb, quite a big saving! Impressive weight given the current frame though, dread to think how long it would it take for it to fall apart with me riding it though! :lol:

At 1735g, there is a bit of weight to be saved off the frame, maybe a lb or just over, not much for a 'better' ally one though. I use it for XC and trail centre (mostly Cannock) and I'm not heavy (12 1/2 stone) or a heavy rider, none of the parts are flyweight specials and are all trail centre capable so no reason it shouldn't be robust enough for that (forks get a bit flexy though), clearly I wouldn't be doing uplift days or megavalanche on it though!
    Cookeh wrote:
    Out of interest, how much money do you think you've thrown at what was only a £350ish(??) bike new? That being said, I still doubt that you could get something of comparable weight for anywhere near the cost of the swapped parts.

I built the bike up from a bare frame (bike was bought (for £35 with some other bits and pieces) in such a state that practically everything but the frame was scrap including the rusted through forks), so pick £350 (Vulcan) or £600 (Fury) as the base price, total spend has been £715 but that includes the running cost of what is now 3 years of use (including tyres etc), price of all the components as it stands in the photo is £587.

I only put the grips on yesterday and am recovering from a minor op, so not ridden with them yet, but they are all but identical to the Avenir foam grips on my commuter which have been on for 3 years and are still functionally as good as new and I can't rate highly enough.
  • njee20

I used to use the Titec Pork Rinds, which are the same grips, they're ok, IMO a bit narrow. I prefered the Bontrager XXX Lites, or Race X Lites if you want fatter.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have to admit, you were right about the exotics! I have used mine 3 times now and they are already feeling a bit worn, not as firm as they were (wet muddy hands dont help I imagine) and it feels like I am holding bare handlebars at the end of a long ride. Will be swapping for lock ons or I might try they KCNC ones.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Impressive getting it down to that weight.
    Those grips look better the Exotics don't look fit for purpose.
  • The Rookie
    To be honest I was really disappointed with the exotics, worse than some £1.99 ones from Wilkinsons I put on a friends bike to get it going again. The KCNC/Avenir/pork rinds are much better, nor perhaps as nicely shaped initially, but they do last, when climbing with the exotics it felt like I was holding a snake as they squirm all over the place.

Thanks Windy, it's taken some thought and planning to get to that weight with that frame and on a budget while keeping suspension on the front, I could save an instant 800g with the Mosso forks of my commuter, and I could fit lighter skewers, but this is as I ride the bike and it's designed to be a proper rider not a showpiece!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I fitted Mosso forks to my Scott commuter and they only weigh 700g half the weight of my SID's.

I have Ritchey WCS Truegrip foam grips on the other Scott & Giant they cost more but only weigh 34g and have hardly worn and have had some real abuse just missing little bits on the ends where I've clipped trees.

Thing is now you can only lose very small amounts and wouldn't notice it anyway other than the forks.
  • The Rookie
    It does get harder to lose weight, yes, and more expensive if you aren't careful! That's why stripping the frame is an easy win and very tempting.

I could lose 40g a wheel with butted spokes which wouldn't cost that much, I could also lose a few grams off the bars for not too much as they are relatively heavy and possibly 20g off the seatpost if I cut it down to the length I need. After that I am into fairly expensive parts mostly I think.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Thats stupidly light. Mine weighs 12.1 KG and its rigid, and small. :lol:

Is the Kraken a really light frame?

My 20" 2007 Kraken in standard trim weighed bang on 15kg.
  • njee20
    If you went the skewer route the Mt Zoom ultralight ones are nice, I had some KCNCs before, and they felt scary! I believe they're bringing out a new c120g 740mm bar too, which looks interesting!
  • The Rookie
    I do like the nice secure clamping you get with the Shimano skewers, so wouldn't want to lose that, the Mt Zoom though do look nice (so they should for £27 a pair) of course the budget option would be Halo bolt through which are a nice 61g saving for £8-9 but a loss of conveniance (as I have to take wheels off to get it in my current car), the other possibility is the 9mm QR from Superstar, just need to see if it fits my front hubs, it's heavier than the Shimano, but then I'd be deleting some axle etc parts as well, some say it does stiffen up the forks, others seem less convinced.

Mt Zoom are decent parts for reasonable prices, so like to keep an eye on what they are doing.
  • njee20
    Don't bother with the 9mm axle, pointless IMO. You could go the whole hog and get some Tune Skyline 23g skewers.

Agree on Mt Zoom, really rate their kit, I like that it's run from the UK by a (very good) rider too!
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    You could go the whole hog and get some Tune Skyline 23g skewers.
    No....for too many reasons to bother typing out.
    njee20 wrote:
    Agree on Mt Zoom, really rate their kit, I like that it's run from the UK by a (very good) rider too!
    I didn't know any of that, just know the few bits I've seen are good kit and while far from 'budget' are certainly value for money.

Very impressed with the KCNC seatpost clamp, 20g for a QR and much much nicer to use than the rather horrid Hope one I had (sorry, it was lovely, really nice to use and now for sale....)
  • njee20
    I didn't know any of that, just know the few bits I've seen are good kit and while far from 'budget' are certainly value for money.

Yep, run by Ant White, who goes off an wins Mayhem solo and what not! Top rider and nice guy. Good to have a face for the brand!

Couldn't agree more on the Tune skewers! That said, their original AC16/17 skewers were lovely, some of the first really light skewers, internal cam. Not cheap though.
  • The Rookie
    Cool, thanks for the Info......

The Tune internal cam would be nice, but yes, make XTR look budget!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Page 5 = Fail
  • The Rookie
    Eh? The update is on page4, not sure of the point you are making?
  • What size frame is it and how tall are you?
    I have 16" kraken frame - a project I started a while ago started sanding it down for paint and then got distracted for a couple of years!
  • The Rookie
    It's a 16" small size frame, I am 5'' 9.5" however I have short limbs for my height which is why possibly the small suits me better than a medium which I would 'expect' to ride for my height.