Post exercise nutrition

13»

Comments

• This morning's post ride nutrition? A sausage sandwich with ketchup on a granary bread, washed down with a coffee :)

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Whats wrong with you people? :lol:

Beans on toast. End of discussion. It was good enough for Ian Botham (back in the day) and its good enough for us now. Protein and simple sugars in the beans, complex carbs in the toast. Hell if it was a really big effort put some cheese on top :D

Unless you are an elite level athelete, in which case you should be under the instruction of a nutritionist anyway, pretty much everything will be a placebo as you will have enough nutrition from EATING to cope with the demand we all have. Placebo effects can work mind (I swear by Skins recovery tights even though I know there is little to no peer reviewed research to support them), just dont think they are anything other than a placebo.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Ian Botham was a cricket player, you know, the fat ones, that can still play at world class level as they stand around all day doing f all. ;)

Define elite level athlete, there are plenty of decent level athletes on this board, I have no doubt I can get the same value from eating a chicken breast after a ride, but sometimes its far easier, cheaper, to have whey shake.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Whey is good for post-exercise because it is quickly absorbed. Also, in terms of general health benefits (aside from the benefits of consuming more protein), there is some suggestion that it has a powerful anti-oxidant effect. Hmmm, should really go back to using the stuff, rather than crisps.

I can certainly understand skepticism about some supplements, but whey is a straightforward food by-product and very useful stuff. You don't have to be an elite athlete to benefit from it.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    Whey protein a placebo :lol::lol::lol:
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    Whey protein a placebo :lol::lol::lol:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I can certainly understand skepticism about some supplements, but whey is a straightforward food by-product and very useful stuff. You don't have to be an elite athlete to benefit from it.

I should walk away from this thread..............but I can't :D

First sentence; correct IMHO
    Second sentence; well intentioned bunkum IMHO

Everyone I have talked to who has taken protein suppliments (including me), and as an ex gym rat for years thats quite a few, has agreed that they have noticed a darkening of their urine when taking said suppliments. Urea causes this colour and urea is metabolised waste PROTEIN. Yes thats right you pay for it, you consume it, your body has no use for the extra and .....................you pi$$ it out (this is an overly simplistic model but broadly accurate).

Even a bad modern diet has an excess of protein in it in most cases. In a personal example, my paternal grandfather was a 'Lumper' on, at the time, the busiest fish dock in the world (Lumpers manually unloaded fish in crates/baskets of ice from trawlers holds). This involved long and arduous physical effort that would exceed the effort of the vast majority of peeps on here. According to modern marketing, in order to sustain this 6 day a week effort suppliments were the only hope. Reality - Fry up every day for breakfast, oily fish sandwiches most lunchtimes and fish and potatoes for supper all in portions that would be considered small nowadays and he was super lean and strong as an Ox. The level of activity of the average person 60 years+ ago would likely have been about the same as weekend warriors in todays society and they just ate stuff :)

If you insist on using protein post ride and believe it helps that is fine. If you do, whey based products are probably best (in fact I do use them myself after Sportives when regular food is sometimes not available). However the people who NEED this type of post effort nutrition will not be reading this thread as their nutritionist will be telling them all they need to know. Nigel Mitchel the SKY and BC nutritionist has said a couple of times that when he rides he doesn't use the CNC products he helped to develop and SKY use under his direction. Why is this? He has no need of that level of nutrition and rides on bananas and water and eats a meal or (admittedly protein rich) snack post ride.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')