Post exercise nutrition

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Right, after a good workout, PT (or the hour of torture as I know it) and longer rides (100km + or very hilly) I am often left hungry and with aching legs. I am generally a big believer in real food but have recently been wondering about making smoothies (fruit, banana, a fluid of some sort) with extra protein added as a quick fix to get the protein, carbs and vitamins into me quickly. Tried a gym made thing this morning and it tasted ok, however I can't make any real judgement from a one off! I have tried chocolate milk but I am not sure that has any real effect apart from tasting nice and helping wash down cake.

So, what do the commuters here do post long ride/run/exercise etc? Real food, proteing thingies or a mix of the two? Any ideas/data on timings and requirements?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• I've been known to feel better for munching a Clif Builder's bar. Friends of mine swear by Progenex recovery, but I baulk at the cost as it works out close to doubling your gym membership if you use it 5 days a week. Mainly thought I stick to real foods (rice & tuna for example) and vary the quantity bases on exercise levels.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Well its Macmilian coffee morning at work, so I have just eaten a large peice of cake, a couple of sausage rolls and another peice of cake.

Just about to finish a coffee. its working.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I've been known to feel better for munching a Clif Builder's bar. Friends of mine swear by Progenex recovery, but I baulk at the cost as it works out close to doubling your gym membership if you use it 5 days a week. Mainly thought I stick to real foods (rice & tuna for example) and vary the quantity bases on exercise levels.

- Jon

I would rather steer away from those kinds of bars, hence adding some simple protein powder to a smoothie. I keep reading about how it is a good idea to get the protein etc in within a short space of time and think that a drink may be best for this. I am happy to eat "proper" protein later but timings can be tricky around work and family.

I am not going crazy bulking up etc, just trying to look after myself and get down the aching a little post exercise! :)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel
    rubertoe wrote:
    Well its Macmilian coffee morning at work, so I have just eaten a large peice of cake, a couple of sausage rolls and another peice of cake.

Just about to finish a coffee. its working.

Mmm, cake. I eat the cake anyway- just cos it is so bloody tasty!
    RIP commute...
  • From the little I've learnt, you should be looking for more protein and less carbs post-workout, and getting them in you within 20 mins or so.

After my long bike sessions in the summer I was glugging this stuff: http://www.maxishop.com/maxifuel/recovery/protrient

The recommended amount doesn't make a massive volume of drink, and it doesn't taste wonderful either. I thikn it probably helped though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • menthel wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    I've been known to feel better for munching a Clif Builder's bar. Friends of mine swear by Progenex recovery, but I baulk at the cost as it works out close to doubling your gym membership if you use it 5 days a week. Mainly thought I stick to real foods (rice & tuna for example) and vary the quantity bases on exercise levels.

- Jon

I would rather steer away from those kinds of bars, hence adding some simple protein powder to a smoothie. I keep reading about how it is a good idea to get the protein etc in within a short space of time and think that a drink may be best for this. I am happy to eat "proper" protein later but timings can be tricky around work and family.

I am not going crazy bulking up etc, just trying to look after myself and get down the aching a little post exercise! :)

Clif bars are my bar of choice as they are most palatable, and have a much more natural composition. Like you I'm not into bulking up, but I do find that the key is to eat soon after exercising for best results, which is where the bars & shakes come into their own.

As for products like Progenex, have a read of the interwebs, Recovery (http://www.progenexeurope.co.uk/contents/recovery) is aimed squarely at just that, and not really about bulking up as such. A good friend of mine has tried pretty much all the shakes/powders on the market and settled on this, but he's more of a CrossFit type not a cyclist.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Similar to the stuff Greg66 recommended. I use this post-gym
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... 30268.html

(and if you want 5% off then use code MP163657 and it'll give me a few pennies)

Couple of scoops with milk as soon as possible after finishing. It's the protein that you'll be needing rather than carbs.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    You lot were making me feel hungry so I had a giant double chocolate chip cookie with my cup of tea. That should give me the energy to ride over to Twickenham for lunch with the Mrs.
  • menthel
    Thanks all. I guess what I am also hoping to do is stop the rebound hunger I get as well, which often ends in me eating far too much of the wrong food. I will have a look at the bars and shakes.

I am now eating a packet of reeces pieces now by the way, very tasty!
    RIP commute...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I am currently polishing off a box of mince pies...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • menthel
    JonGinge wrote:

Too early for mince pies. Can I have one?
    RIP commute...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    If you fancy some real food, rather than the various 'shakes', then 100g of the following has a similar amount of protein to two scoops (70g) of that one dhope mentioned: turkey or chicken breast, tuna, salmon, halibut, cottage cheese, pork, lean beef, peanuts, pumpkin seeds and almonds. All bar the poultry and fish are a bit higher in calories if that is an issue, but if you are mixing the powder with milk, then that'll up the calories anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Now is the best time for mince pies, they are usually half price or BOGOF, before they go up for christmas.

You can't lose.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    dhope wrote:

Couple of scoops with milk as soon as possible after finishing. It's the protein that you'll be needing rather than carbs.

Have ordered some tester sachets of the whey protein to give it a go. Used your code too!
    RIP commute...
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Crisps, bacon sandwiches, chocolate and cake are the only things that really hit the spot I'm afraid. If you're unfortunate enough to be afflicted with the willpower to leave them alone, then suggest do as I do and take your five portions of fruit/veg to work with you. After nearly an hour on the bike, even fruit looks edible and once you've waded through your five you can eat what you like when you get home with a (nearly) clear conscience. And, contrary to popular belief, fruit/veg will fill you up if you can force enough of it down.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    menthel wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Have ordered some tester sachets of the whey protein to give it a go. Used your code too!

Ta very much
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • menthel
    rhext wrote:
    Crisps, bacon sandwiches, chocolate and cake are the only things that really hit the spot I'm afraid. If you're unfortunate enough to be afflicted with the willpower to leave them alone, then suggest do as I do and take your five portions of fruit/veg to work with you. After nearly an hour on the bike, even fruit looks edible and once you've waded through your five you can eat what you like when you get home with a (nearly) clear conscience. And, contrary to popular belief, fruit/veg will fill you up if you can force enough of it down.

I eat loads of fruit and veg, mainly cos I love the stuff! I agree with the other foods though, just as long as the bacon isn't crispy. I can't stand crispy bacon.
    RIP commute...
  • dhope wrote:
    I use this post-gym
    http://www.manprotein.com/.....

FTFY. Come in a jar does it?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • JonGinge wrote:

'Tis not yet the season to be jolly, tra-la-lala-la, lala-la-la...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I find beer works well. If you're really hungry then I recommend a pint or two of Guinness.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Chocolate milk was looked at by one of the sports science unversities and came out very well. Probably too cheap to be taken seriously by those that want to buy powders with pseudo-science ingredients.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    davmaggs wrote:
    Chocolate milk was looked at by one of the sports science unversities and came out very well. Probably too cheap to be taken seriously by those that want to buy powders with pseudo-science ingredients.

Pseudo-science? Protein and Creatine? You're trolling, right?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Just had a large bowl of pasta with pesto. That seems like the right kind of food to me.
  • During my Raid training I was using protein powder from MyProtein - blended with milk & drunk ASAP after a ride. Totally non-scientific, but my legs felt very good in the Pyrenees and I felt that I was climbing a little better than last year. Whether the protein has anything to do with this is another matter!
  • Interesting to hear that a few users blend their powder with milk routinely. The stuff I use suggests this as an alternative to water, saying that blending with milk will delay the release/absorption of proteins, and is suitable for use immediately before going to sleep.

Any reason you milky kids are using milk?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    Palatability at a guess. But seriously, what are supposed to be the benefits of ingesting the protein, etc. that you need via a manufactured powder, as opposed to through carefully chosen 'real food'?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Palatability at a guess. But seriously, what are supposed to be the benefits of ingesting the protein, etc. that you need via a manufactured powder, as opposed to through carefully chosen 'real food'?

Palatability and because Milk is also full of protein.

Why the powder? Because it's easier. I don't need to worry about having chicken/fish etc in the fridge ready for when I get back. Powder takes 1 minute to sort so you can get it in your system v quickly post ride.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    So a glass of milk would be more or less sufficient?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rjsterry wrote:

For me: Convenience, time, cost, ability to actually consume that much food... A large beef steak upon arrival at the office would be nice, but it's not always practical every day ... Also, the creatine makes a big difference. I'm sure individuals' bodies react differently to different inputs, but my experience is that protein/creatine shakes make a huge difference to recovery.
  • rjsterry
    No-one's suggesting you need to eat a large steak. Half a tin of tuna contains roughly the same protein as 70g of powder, but I can see the convenience angle. That said, a bag of almonds on your desk is pretty convenient too - that's if I can stop myself from scoffing the lot before lunch.
    Pinnacle Monzonite