Saddle Height - Knee 25 degrees WTF?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited September 2013 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,

I have read a lot about setting saddle height and the knee angle should be between 25 and 35 degree's, with 25 being preferred, one article here mentions 25 degrees - http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/

Can I just double check, the picture in this article shows a 25 degree angle off the back of the leg, I have been using a fitment tool that measures angles and taking 180 degrees (straight leg) minus 25 gives an angle of 155 degrees for the knee, when taking pictures of pro's and other riders and checking them using the tool they are around 140 and 145, TT positions seem to be closer to 150.

Here are the points I am using when measuring - http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/imag ... ngles1.jpg and looking at the pic it looks like the same tool I am using with the green lines :)

I'm just interested to know why its recommended to be 155 when I havent seen a single fit that is 155??
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    These are all just guides and firm numbers lend an air of validity to them. The reality is that this is entirely dependent on the rider.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I'm pretty sure that 30-35 degrees was what I was told when I had my BG fit. That would also explain the difference you're seeing.
  • Saddle should be low enough that your hips stay level and do not move up/down while pedaling.
    Saddle should be high enough for good breathing, good power and endurance, and leg and foot comfort.

Being able to place the heel of your foot on the pedal without tilting your hips is a good starting position, Then adjust up/down from there based on personal choice and results.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    This is the right kind of advice. Trying to avoid rocking your hips while getting the power /comfort. I wouldn't get too carried away with exact measurements but they can be good a starting point.