Pasteys Steel Voodoo Wanga WIP .

13»

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    If you like nice reds, but want the durability of powdercoat, how about a lovely deep candy red over metallic silver basecoat (the pics don't do it justice - it really is lush, and needs to be seen in the flesh)? :

DSC_1155copy_zps363563a2.jpg

DSC_0771_zps55d47945.jpg

DSC_0619_zpsc6a18283.jpg

Is your candy green like this (this is over a metallic silver base too) ? If it is, it's a long standing favourite of mine, and looks great too.

8241.jpg?max=640

If you want something subtle yet bling at the same time, how about gloss black with a silver metalflake lacquer? Looks like a regular metallic black until direct sunshine hits it then it's hello 70s disco pimp metalflake - it sparkles like fark (again, photos don't do it justice):

DSCN0894_zps370bf4cc.jpg

DSCN0898_zps0129bd82.jpg

For true chrome effect powdercoat, the only one I know of is Aeromax by Aerocoat, but it's expensive. You can get "black chrome" effects cheaper (this was £25) - it's not a true mirror chrome look, but it is shiny:

15747.jpg?max=640

8242.jpg?max=640

Phoarrrrrr that bike is gorgeous!!!! That red is perfect. And the chrome looks amazing with it.

Is this yours aswell?

And does having a different base coat make alot of difference to how the final coat looks?

What different types of lacquer/top coats are there? Curious because im going to spray two bikes at least in a month after my exams are all done.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Phoarrrrrr that bike is gorgeous!!!! That red is perfect. And the chrome looks amazing with it.

Is this yours aswell?

The silver and red Bandit? It's a bike I built for an ex girlfriend (from her crashed and rusted piece of shite wreck, that was only fit for use as a boat anchor, and looked like it had been used as a boat anchor for the last five years, it was dark blue originally). If I knew then what I knew now I would've set fire to the finished bike, rather than given it to that bitch. There's about 230 hours labour in that picture, never mind the £1600 of my money, and various of my spare Bandit components, and it was stunning, even if I say so myself - most people who saw it said it was the nicest Bandit they've ever seen, and those who'd seen the wreck it started as couldn't believe it was the same bike, it was immensely satisfying stepping back and looking at the finished bike after all that work, but I wish to christ I'd never done it. I should've told her to fuck off and spent the money rebuilding my own bandit again instead, but hindsight's always 20-20... There's no chrome on it though (apart from the fork stanchions) - the standard chrome bars in the pic were only on for moving it around, they were replaced with black anodised Renthals on the finished bike.

And does having a different base coat make alot of difference to how the final coat looks?

What different types of lacquer/top coats are there? Curious because im going to spray two bikes at least in a month after my exams are all done.

It does with candy colours. Candies are translucent (like a coloured lacquer, rather than a solid paint/powder), so the base coat (and the amount of candy you apply) changes the end result. You can't use a candy over just primer, it needs a basecoat (be it white, silver, black or whatever. The silver metallic silver basecoat makes the red look metallic, as the metallic particles show through the translucent red. My Bandit frame goes a stage further by having a silver metalflake in the metallic silver basecoat, with candy teal green/blue over the top, so sunshine makes the metalflake really sparkle. With the black wheels the metalflake is in the topcoat lacquer, so it looks like silver glitter in the black, whereas on the frame the metalflake's under the candy, so the flakes sparkle in the colour of the candy, rather than silver.

If you look at that Prismatic Powders website you'll see that these days there's masses of choice, from basic RAL colours to metallics, candies and special effect powders (like flip colour change pigments), and even more variety with wet paints - in wet paints there's some amazing (and amazingly expensive - like hundreds of pounds per litre) special effect paints these days.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I would have kept that for myself after all that effort! Hahaha. Sod giving that to a girlfriend :lol: Nah just joking.

Thanks alot for that info. I might give Candy a go myself with spray paint cans if its possible. Might go for Candy red with purple anodized bits and bobs here and there.
  • Kowalski675
    I would have kept that for myself after all that effort!

I should've done, half the bike belonged to me anyway. With hindsight what I should've done was inist that she transfer the logbook into my name, so I could'v ejust taken the bike as payment when she didn't pay back what I'd lent her to build it (or any of the rest of the 5 grand she owes me, the bitch).
    Might go for Candy red with purple anodized bits and bobs here and there.

Don't do that, it would look awful. Purple anodising should be left in the 1990s where it belongs, lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    LOL! True.

But my bikes from the 90s. And purple ano looks the bollox on retro bikes. Im thinking bronze now though...if i can find it.
  • Kowalski675
    Purple anodising doesn't look good on anything, leave it in the nineties, with the other style crimes from that decade.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Purple anodising doesn't look good on anything, leave it in the nineties, with the other style crimes from that decade.
    Rivi_zps93b6a124.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thats bloody gorgeous!!! Is that one yours pastey?

I meant things like purple ano seat post clamp, frame bolts, stem bolts, dust caps etc etc.
  • Kowalski675
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Rivi_zps93b6a124.jpg

The defence rests, lol...

Actually, the frame looks ok, but the blue and orange really don't go with it. It'll certainly get you noticed, anyway. :wink:
  • gt-arrowhead
    If you think about it though, those are probably the best colours to go for if you had to choose. I think it looks nice tbh. Would look better with orange bar ends, possibly an orange stem and an orange seat post clamp. :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    If you think about it though, those are probably the best colours to go for if you had to choose. I think it looks nice tbh. Would look better with orange bar ends, possibly an orange stem and an orange seat post clamp. :wink:

Seriously? Orange with purple? I reckon (IMO) if you're gonna go lairy with your frame colour (and I do kind of like the purple frame, in an in yer face kind of way) then better to keep the rest simple (preferably black), like my TDR (ever seen a thousand quid of powdercoat in one place, lol?):

17008.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    Nice one! :wink:

Im a big fan of bling and ting. :lol:

Chrome/Polished metal and Red are the best combinations to have IMO.
  • Kowalski675
    Nice one! :wink:

Im a big fan of bling and ting. :lol:

Chrome/Polished metal and Red are the best combinations to have IMO.

That pic doesn't really show the colour - it's a lairy candy magenta over silver base (looks properly tarty in sunlight):

Copyofscan0036_zpsd02813cd.jpg

One of these days I really must finish that bike - I started it 16 years ago. the project's as old as you, lol.