Bent hanger.

shyretirer
shyretirer Posts: 26
edited May 2013 in The workshop
Hi all.

I think I may have bent my rear derallieur hanger. basically, I noticed that the chain going into teh bottom pulley wasn't going in straight.

Anyway, I've had a look, and the hanger looks slightly twisted. I assume they're supposed to be straight, and, if you lay them on your side, flat.

Also, what's the best way to find out which hanger I need? There's about 250 available. I have a Boardman Hybrid Comp, and, looking through various websites, it looks like I need a "Hanger 238". Is it just a case of looking through, and picking the one that looks closest to what I have?

Thanks

S

Comments

• CaMun
    CaMun Posts: 45
    Have you tried bending it back? Park tools say, as a rule of thumb, if the hanger survives being bent back to correct alignment it'll survive use.
    Some more info here:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment

As for what hanger you need I have no idea.

Your LBS may help you bending the old one back, or if you live near KT14 I can help you out.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Sounds like an LBS job tbh, that way they can make sure that you get the right hanger. Last time I did mine I think it cost me about £20 for a new hanger and about £5 for them to swap it over.
  • shyretirer
    shyretirer Posts: 26
    Fixed!!!!

Bought a hanger from Mountainbikecomponents.co.uk, which fitted perfectly. Also got a spare from Halfords.