Do you bother with mudguards ?

124»

Comments

• Chadders81 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted but if you're soaked by the person in front, grow some **** and drop them.

If you can't do that, get out training and build some power.
    My, aren't we macho...

Aren't we humourless?

Don't tell me that it wasn't exactly the reaction you were looking for in your mini-troll... :roll: :wink:

Nah - tongue in cheek. Flippant maybe.

As long as you're sure you've got sufficient power, that's all that matters.
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted but if you're soaked by the person in front, grow some **** and drop them.

If you can't do that, get out training and build some power.
    No, my 'victims' aren't riding with me as I cycle to work.. If a little spray concerns you feel free to try overtake me is my general feeling on the matter.

Again, what if you're riding WITH this person (or these people)? Group cycling is one of the best things you can do on a bike. Being soaked by other cyclists isn't a concern of mine because I don't wait. :lol:
  • Is "blethering" Scots only? Ir does it trickle down to the north east as well?

It infiltrated Tyneside lingo a long time ago and is still used as part of the Geordie* dialect although not universally.

* I've been one for 48 years.

On topic, I really don't see the point of not using mudguards if you're riding in rain or on wet roads.
  • used to have guards on the nicked bike, haven't bothered on the new bike.

Do I get wetter? yes but not as much as you might think.

I'm not attempting to be a bike racer so I pass wide, and on the whole attempt not to be close to others, at fast bike cruising speeds be 20ft or more thinking distances, stopping on wet rims could be quite long so really if your getting wet your too close.

I do ride with others and guards are fairly rare but equally were not racing so keep our distance, tending to chat, ride 2 abreast than chain gangs
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,669
    Is "blethering" Scots only? Ir does it trickle down to the north east as well?

It infiltrated Tyneside lingo a long time ago and is still used as part of the Geordie* dialect although not universally.

On topic, I really don't see the point of not using mudguards if you're riding in rain or on wet roads.
    What were you before being a Geordie? Did you have a go at being a Scouser, but couldn't stand all the arguments?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

What were you before being a Geordie? Did you have a go at being a Scouser, but couldn't stand all the arguments?

Maybe he was Scottish, but had a lobotomy? Just a thought.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Went out for a ride with a mate on Saturday. He had mudguards, I didn't. When we stopped for cake he was *covered* in mud. I felt a bit bad about that :P
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ...... stopping on wet rims could be quite long so really if your getting wet your too close.

Assuming the rider in front is also using rim brakes, this issue isn't really very relevant; the wetness of your rims affects both of you equally (more or less). Besides, you can be well back from the rider in front and still be getting spattered. But put some mudguards on - if only for the sake of your poor, poor bike!
    I do ride with others and guards are fairly rare but equally were not racing so keep our distance, tending to chat, ride 2 abreast than chain gangs

But when you go back to single file to let cars past, do you drop back to 20 feet or accept the splatter?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,773
    daviesee wrote:
    *Clarty is an underused word these days. :wink:

I think it was always "underused" in England. I never heard it before I moved to Scotland

Wikipedia reckons it's a Cumbrian dialect word, which wouldn't contradict the Scottish use given the historically rather mobile border.

I've heard 'without' used to mean outside on church names - there are at least two in central London: St Botolph without Bishopsgate and St Sepulchre without Newgate - so certainly used south of the border in the past.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:

I've heard 'without' used to mean outside on church names - there are at least two in central London: St Botolph without Bishopsgate and St Sepulchre without Newgate - so certainly used south of the border in the past.

Yes - without seems to be southern - outwith northern
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,773
    edited December 2012
    daviesee wrote:
    or outwith.
    So many others........ American & text speak are overwriting the words of days (not so long ago) gone by.

Yup - another word seemingly only used in Scotland. I'd come across the use of "without" meaning the same thing (outside) - some hymn or other "There is a green hill far away without a city wall"

I have a Collins Scots dictionary somewhere.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blethering

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=blither

As used copiously by Captain Haddock in the Tintin books (although presumably not in the original French language version).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The subtle difference is that "blether" means to have a relaxed chat - no negative connotations. Blithering idiot is very different.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Rolf F wrote:
    ...... stopping on wet rims could be quite long so really if your getting wet your too close.

Assuming the rider in front is also using rim brakes, this issue isn't really very relevant; the wetness of your rims affects both of you equally (more or less). Besides, you can be well back from the rider in front and still be getting spattered. But put some mudguards on - if only for the sake of your poor, poor bike!

at the edge of thinking distance - 20ft for 20mph you'll not get any spray in any meaningful amounts, spray falls off quite quickly as distance increases, my experince of bikes with guards and looking at others bikes with guards is while they may stay cleaner for longer, in winter all bikes tend to have dirty chains.
    Rolf F wrote:

But when you go back to single file to let cars past, do you drop back to 20 feet or accept the splatter?

splatter is very close proximity, it really isn't a problem if give your self a little space.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

at the edge of thinking distance - 20ft for 20mph you'll not get any spray in any meaningful amounts, spray falls off quite quickly as distance increases, my experince of bikes with guards and looking at others bikes with guards is while they may stay cleaner for longer, in winter all bikes tend to have dirty chains.
    Rolf F wrote:

splatter is very close proximity, it really isn't a problem if give your self a little space.

Around 20 feet? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:

Rolf F wrote:

Around 20 feet? :wink:

Clearly not or rather at some point for some point of the time i'll be within that range. normally it's a few secs at most and we are alert etc. at higher speeds scrubbing a bit of speed gives you a decent gap in no time. climbing steeper/slower hills is where you can end up rather close though, if you pull behind for a car.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Clearly not or rather at some point for some point of the time i'll be within that range. normally it's a few secs at most and we are alert etc. at higher speeds scrubbing a bit of speed gives you a decent gap in no time. climbing steeper/slower hills is where you can end up rather close though, if you pull behind for a car.

You probably ride mostly wider, straighter roads than me. In W Yorks, you inevitably spend quite a bit of time running in a line unless you like annoying car drivers.

Still, mudguards really do make a big difference - esp Cruds (SKS not so effective around the front mech).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Belgian toothpaste is all part of the ritual of the long, winter, group ride.

Mudguards would put an end to those post-ride admiring looks from the waitress in the cafe.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Mudguards would put an end to those post-ride admiring looks from the waitress in the cafe.
    Are you certain it is admiration?
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:

Are you certain it is admiration?

Of course, what else could it be! :lol:

I personally feel a great deal of pride when I have to spend time in the shower cleaning road filth out of my ears. I might film that for inclusion in the next Rapha commercial.
  • I mind less if you're riding a gnarly group ride in rubbish conditions. What I hate is getting a face-full from a nodder who won't get out of the way.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    rjsterry wrote:
    I passed St Botolph without Aldgate yesterday, the name struck me as odd. Turns out there were 4 St Botolph churches, without Aldgate, Aldersgate, Bishopsgate and Billingsgate.
  • Rolf F wrote:

You probably ride mostly wider, straighter roads than me. In W Yorks, you inevitably spend quite a bit of time running in a line unless you like annoying car drivers.

Still, mudguards really do make a big difference - esp Cruds (SKS not so effective around the front mech).

probably quieter roads, rides for pleasure with others I tend to choose quiet roads plus in summer at least be early as well.

My other bike had cruds and did stop the rooster tail, but my commute is though a park so slow speed stuff, and off for a burn I don't get cold so am not worried, i don't like unknown drafters so if a bit of spray keeps them away, thats no bad thing really.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I use mudguards on my commuting bike. Full SKS ones. Excellent.

I try to have my commuting bike optimised for ... commuting (funny that) so it has full guards, disk brakes, hub dyno lighting, rack, alfine hub gear (with versa drop bar shifters), 28mm durano plus (for optimal puncture resistance to rolling resistance trade off). Basically everything selected to make it a low maintenance and practical as possible for 20 miles a day, all year round in all weather.
    I am aware that other people optimise their commuting bike for stage races, track racing or trail riding which strike me as a little odd but, hey, each to their own :lol:
    I was doubtful about full SKS guards but my god they're a god send! am a complete convert even though I have horizontal drop outs and they make changing my rear wheel an unbelievable faff.

I shall impart some words of wisdom to solve this "unbelieveable faff":

You know the special emergency release clips that SKS have on the FRONT mudguard stays? The ones that are designed to pop off if you jam something in the guard preventing an abrubt over the handlebars moment? Well you can get a second pair (spares available from many online bike shops) and use them on the rear mudguard stays as well. Then you can just pull the rear stay off with a sharp tug to get at your rear wheel more easily.