Do you bother with mudguards ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All

Finally purchased a Cube X disc model and it looks lovely in the flesh (crap on all pics).

Ii has mudguard mounts BUT it will obviously look awfull.

I know its only 'supposed' to be for winter months but not sure if i can bring myself to fit them.

Or is there a small/unobtrusive set out there ?

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ask the person behind you.
    Or the person washing your jerseys/jackets.
    A CX bike is a work horse to be used in foul conditions, not a prancing bling bike.

Short answer - Yes.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I run mudguards all year on my CX.

As said its a work horse.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The damage limitation to the bike is the most important slat and road dirt are not good for components.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    The damage limitation to the bike is the most important slat and road dirt are not good for components.

+1

an a badger stripe up your 4rse off your back wheel isnt a good look
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Yet another fashion over function victim.... And you have a CX bike?!!?!?!?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    bilabonic wrote:
    Hi All

Finally purchased a Cube X disc model and it looks lovely in the flesh (crap on all pics).

Ii has mudguard mounts BUT it will obviously look awfull.

I know its only 'supposed' to be for winter months but not sure if i can bring myself to fit them.

Or is there a small/unobtrusive set out there ?

Cheers

Yes, of course.

Mudguards should be standard on bikes-for-transport (ie commuting). If you're one of those wierdos that uses a carbon race-bike with a top-end groupset to get to work then maybe don't bother :-). For the rest of us... Yes.

Having said that: I live in Scotland- it rains a lot most of the year and they grit the roads heavily in winter. Keeping salty sand out of your drivetrain is a Good Idea.

I've experimented with riding mudguardless since about March (mostly 'cos I haven't had time to re-fettle the winter hack). The experiment has demonstarted clearly to me the folly of this approach for my purposes. I don't anticipate repeating it.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Absolutely I use mudguards. Not only do they keep the mud off you, and anyone riding behind you, they keep salt and grit and mud out of your drivetrain.
  • mudcow007 wrote:

I think badgers manage to carry it off with a certain debonair charm.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

I think badgers manage to carry it off with a certain debonair charm.

ah-ha but they also have go faster stripes down their sides

they can pull the look off

cyclist with a brown sludge stripe on their derriere can not
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I think Crud MK2 guards actually look pretty good, infact they are hard to notice at a glance.

Looking like you've sh*t yourself, not so cool.
  • Another CX commuter here. With mudguards fitted. My commute is rural and with dairy farms en route. Hearing liquid cow sh*t splatter around the tyres and guards and knowing you're clean and dry is oddly satisfying.
    I'm also quite lazy when it comes to bike cleaning so guards are another bonus.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yet another CX commuter here, my CX is my only 'road' bike and I just leave the guards on year round. It's not as if it doesn't rain, or cows stop pooing on the lanes, in the summer.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I only have mudguards on bikes I ride in normal clothes.
  • I ride with mudguards all year round. don't notice them to be honest and I cant be asked checking the weather forecast before every ride to see if I should put them on/take them off to be honest.

And commuters without them are scum and shall be glared at in the rain as you pass the selfish mofos!!! :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    People who commute without mudguards seriously f*ck me off.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Raceblade xl's as I need to remove them to put my bike in a bag to store it at work, they do a good job for the coverage they give
  • People who commute without mudguards seriously f*ck me off.

true dat...
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Yes, there is nothing worse than cycling in the rain and getting wetter from below than above. That's before you start considering water/salt damage to components and animals using the road as a toilet :D.

I've got black SKS Bluemels as recommended by Bails. A bit of a fiddle to fit, but solid and totally rattle free.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Mudguards don't fit on either frame; Both steel TT frames with very, very tight clearances and no mountings. I could put those seatpost mounted MTB things one, but they just look really silly and do nothing for anyone trailing in my wake. :lol:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Mudguards don't fit on either frame; Both steel TT frames with very, very tight clearances and no mountings. I could put those seatpost mounted MTB things one, but they just look really silly and do nothing for anyone trailing in my wake. :lol:

Raceblades would
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Paul E wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Raceblades would

I have raceblades on my cross as there are no mounts, they work a treat.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Mudguards?

Hell No!

Why bother???

You just need to wash your clothes more often
    Clean your bike more often
    Replace your clothes more often
    Replace parts on your bike more often
    Get soaking wet feet every time it rains
    You annoy everyone around you
    Smell more

Mudguards? Nah.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Paul E wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Raceblades would

Nope - too tight for them. Get some tyre rub using 23mm tyres at the fork crown bridge and rear bridge.....And I ain't switching to tubs for commuting. Both are custom built frames from the 1970's/1980's.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    SKS Raceblades don't go under the bridge, you're thinking of Crud road guards
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I was doubtful about full SKS guards but my god they're a god send! am a complete convert even though I have horizontal drop outs and they make changing my rear wheel an unbelievable faff.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I don't use mudguards. I'm going to get wet and dirty anyway. Also means if you are getting sprayed on by my rear wheel in the wet.... YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO ME!!!1111

I have boundry issues.... :P
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mudguards?

Hell No!

Why bother???

<snip>
    Mudguards? Nah.

How often do you wash your cycling clothes?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Mudguards?

Hell No!

Why bother???

<snip>
    Mudguards? Nah.

How often do you wash your cycling clothes?

Generally when they start walking to the washing machine themselves...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    No mudguards on my CX bike until January when the CX season finishes, I just can't be bothered with taking them on and off every weekend.

If I need to ride it to work before then (and if it snows I will) I'll just have to put up with a wet a*se...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    daviesee wrote:
    A CX bike is a work horse to be used in foul conditions, not a prancing bling bike.
    This. A lot of cross bikes are just a hybrid with drops.

Runs and hides