Do old alloy wheels have any value ?

go4gold
go4gold Posts: 2
edited November 2012 in The workshop
Hi. I wondered if old alloy wheels have any value ? Even if only scrap value. I am sure my alloy wheels could be refurbished at least (I don't have the skill), but it seems a shame to throw them out since they are all alloy wheels (with faults such as broken spokes etc). I presume cash converters won't accept 'broke' wheels. Is there anywhere that would take them ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    very low value and you will need to seperate it out. spokes steel. nipples brass hubs stripping and breaking down to their parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If they're in good nick and if good quality and/or unusual then an enthusiast might well have a use for the rims and hubs.

If you have a local bike recycling project, you can take them there...

http://www.re-cycling.co.uk

Welcome to the forum!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some alloy wheels are shocking BSO territory, worth a couple of quid if they work, others may have some value for someone who can make use of component parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    As someone who needed to source a couple of replacement spokes recently, but had trouble finding the right size and shape in anything but a bulk pack, I'd say yes, strip them down and offer the bits for sale individually. Alternatively, if you can't be bothered, stick them complete on freecycle, as someone will have used for them, and you can save yourself a lot of trouble trying to sell them.