Death of a Cruiserweight (page 5)

124»

Comments

• pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Here she is mid build, I have got my saddle height right and reach wise it feels pretty good. Bars need rotating a bit.
    20121004_100959.jpg
    20121004_101016.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • found this because i was interested in one of these. it's a bit of a pissing contest but I got the info I needed from cruiser. He talks alot of sense and he's obviously got to the bottom of it. I was tempted but i'm gonna look at something else. cruiser any suggestions?? Anyone else seen any bargains about?
  • not a bad looking rig. see what cruiser meant about the size. not much seatpost showing and stem slammed
  • boodger, that's far too big a question. There are so many options for so many styles of riding. Test ride everything and something will click for you. My favourite bike at the moment is a Trek Domane. When I lost interest in this frame, I tested a Domane and bloody hell is it good. Rides better than a fat tyred tourer but screams up hills and corners on rails. It's got dream geometry for me and Trek should be congratulated for producing what is (in my opinion) the future of road bikes. Unfortunately framesets don’t seem to be available and I don't want the crap that manufacturers put on their frames to make a price point
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Hmmm...boodger seems to be talking to himself (or is he also cruiserweight?). Very strange thread!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    boodger wrote:
    boodger, that's far too big a question. There are so many options for so many styles of riding. Test ride everything and something will click for you. My favourite bike at the moment is a Trek Domane. When I lost interest in this frame, I tested a Domane and bloody hell is it good. Rides better than a fat tyred tourer but screams up hills and corners on rails. It's got dream geometry for me and Trek should be congratulated for producing what is (in my opinion) the future of road bikes. Unfortunately framesets don’t seem to be available and I don't want the crap that manufacturers put on their frames to make a price point
    PWND and banned. Duplicate accounts are not permitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    haha yeah boodger and cruiserweight what a fail.
  • hahaha that made reading through all the arguements over the last few days more than worth it :lol::lol:

awesome.
  • pastey_boy
    nathancom, thanks for your comment but I don’t really care if pastey is interested in what I have to say. My comments are mostly aimed at everyone and the amount of pms I’ve had on the subject suggests that your illogical viewpoint is far from universal. Are first posts illegal in your opinion? I joined this website because I was interested in this frame. I carried on posting longer than I intended because the Groundhog Day non-comprehension of what I was saying intrigued me. I have never posted before on any site but I have always heard that there were a lot of eccentrics on the web. Rub them up the wrong way and all sorts of emotive madness will come out. Quite amusing but ultimately it’s not for me.

Regarding these Cube frames, if anyone is still interested then you can go by the geometry that is on the Bike Discount.de website. It exactly corresponds to the Lynskey build sheets for these frames that were sent to me by Lynskey. Lynskey are quite evasive about frames they made for other people because they regret doing it. They will alternatively tell you want you don’t want to hear and what you do want to hear. In my game pastey could be accused of leading the witness but he didn’t ask the right question which is: why are there several versions of the same frame from the same era? It took me several goes (and I’m used to asking questions) to get the build sheets for these Bike Discount frames. Level four is written all over the build sheets. It’s just how Lynskey describe a frame made from this kind of tube. It doesn’t mean it is actually is a Lynskey from their standard range.
    These Bike Discount.de frames are similar to the 2009 Super HPT but not quite the same. Lynskey must have built a few slightly different versions of the same thing for Cube because these frames are different to some of the reviewed frames which in turn, are different to the frames that are on the 2009 Cube website. For example look at the link to a 2009 Cube website (I posted it earlier). I was interested in the 60cm frame and the first thing I noticed is that the headtube on the Cube website for a 60cm 2009 Super HPT was 180mm. The headtube on the 60cm frame being sold by Bike Discount is 163mm. That’s too big a difference to be ignored by any rational person. I’m sure it will be ignored but I can’t help that.
    The bike I have in front of me has the exact same measurements as this and i mean exact http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... latt.9.htm . This is the only review of the Super that has ever been published to the best of my knowledge and after much searching. Now the frame in the review is quoted as being a 56cm but the frame I have purchased is said to be a 58cm but bear in mind that the sellers description is very wrong regarding year, material and so on
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Here she is mid build, I have got my saddle height right and reach wise it feels pretty good. Bars need rotating a bit.
    20121004_100959.jpg
    20121004_101016.jpg
    Spoke count looks a bit low for a Billy Bunter.
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    Looking good, if it's 6al/4v as being suggested that is a serious bargain.

I reached out to Lynskey/Cube and the retailer and so far have heard back from Lynskey and the retailer:

Lynskey:

The Cube frame you inquired about was built with the Cube specs the only thing I would have is the geometry which is shown on the link you sent.
    You may be able to Google this it was a 08-09 model frame for Cube to find more info on this frame.

Retailer:

The official bill from Cube states this frame as a 2012 version, the actual decal styling is from 2011 (Cube does not have Titanium bikes in their product range anymore).

The tech-specs are of a 2009 bike (non-pressfit, non tapered).

These are probably frames that Cube saved because of possible warranty-issues (for other damaged frames) and are now not needed anymore.

Pretty interesting stuff. I'm finding it more and more difficult not to pull the trigger myself. You're not going to get a 6al/4v new Ti frame for a better price anywhere.
  • pastey_boy
    BR 1979 wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    20121004_100959.jpg
    20121004_101016.jpg
    Spoke count looks a bit low for a Billy Bunter.
    I thought i would take a punt with the wheels, Shimano wheels tend to be tough for their given weight and I like the cup and cone hubs, I have a set of 32h mavic open pro ceramic rims on nova tec hub i built myself but they are 1750 grams compared to the 1520 gram rs80's. The rs80's seem as comfy as the mavics but the weight difference is very noticable. I have put a few miles in on pretty bad roads on the shimano's and after a little tinker after their first outing they have been solid.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    So it looks like Pastey_boy has got a bit of a result! (in more ways than one) Fair play!
  • pastey_boy
    siamon wrote:
    So it looks like Pastey_boy has got a bit of a result! (in more ways than one) Fair play!
    This is one of my favourite ever threads, the comedy is far more interesting than the actual build :D
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Still waiting for blingy blue cable adjusters and bar tape so this is as far as I can go today. Decided to go with the sram red chainset, I swapped the original black sram rings for a set of FSA rings, the FSA rings are slightly lighter, shift better and never look scruffy due to anodising wearing off the teeth. The sram chainset is still running on the wheel manufacturing ceramic BB which i was able to convert to GXP by using a converter kit made for Token BB's. The kit was only £4.99 and it works a treat although it won't work with all hollowtech std BB's. The Ti cage weighs a scant 22grams and was only £17.50 courtesy of Ebay. Brakes are Planet X cnc SL brakes with Ti hardware fitted with Sram red brake pads also with ti hardware and swisstop pads. Headset is a very light crank bros cobalt xc, only 62 grams and purchased for £12 new. The stem is a 100mm forged/cnc'd ti model from J&L via ebay It was just under £100 and weighs 103 grams. the top cap is a carbon fsa model with a blue anodised ti bolt. Bars are Planet X Nano light sl compact drop 44cm and weigh 210 grams.
    20121004_174851.jpg
    20121004_174944.jpg
    20121004_175009.jpg
    20121004_175029.jpg
    20121004_175059.jpg
    20121004_175108.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Aesthetically, I would get an Blue headset, cane creek, hope and chris king all do one, and a white stem to match forks and handlebar, otherwise looks great to me.
  • pastey_boy
    nathancom wrote:
    Aesthetically, I would get an Blue headset, cane creek, hope and chris king all do one, and a white stem to match forks and handlebar, otherwise looks great to me.
    The Crank Bros headset has a blue top cover and its much lighter than anything else on the market. I think a white stem would be too much white and i think the ti stem matches the ti post but having said that, some of my efforts on here both road and mtb have not always been the most aesthetically pleasing. See below for proof of this
    60018_477265041067_1613460_n.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    pastey_boy wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    The Crank Bros headset has a blue top cover and its much lighter than anything else on the market. I think a white stem would be too much white and i think the ti stem matches the ti post but having said that, some of my efforts on here both road and mtb have not always been the most aesthetically pleasing. See below for proof of this
    60018_477265041067_1613460_n.jpg

My poor eyes!!!!

This thread has been seriously entertaining, especially when Cruiserweight got himself busted. The best of it was, it was so transparent, even without him getting his logins confused.

Seriously nice Cube Pastey, thinking of pushing the button myself.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oh what a quality finish to the thread :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Why would anyone go to the trouble of making 2 accounts :lol:

For what it's worth, the bike is coming along nicely. Hope you enjoy it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • pastey_boy
    andy46 wrote:
    Why would anyone go to the trouble of making 2 accounts :lol:

For what it's worth, the bike is coming along nicely. Hope you enjoy it.
    the guy set his stall out, he came up with page upon page of nonsense then when i finally had lynskey themselves prove the origin of the frame it made him look like a massive bell end so he invented imaginary friends in an attempt to debunk my information. all in all this thread turned into a comedy masterpiece and im sure cruiserweight will be back one way or another.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Oh what a quality finish to the thread :D
    i bought Bette back just for you xxx
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The bike loks great but the thread is better, creating a duplicate account to try and prove a point? Genius, the internet needs more nutters like this, most entertaining!