Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor

isimba
isimba Posts: 44
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Right I have tried to search but struggled to find anything so apologies if this has been discussed before.

right first and foremost I am a runner but I do love cycling and at the start of the summer I replace my hybrid with a specialized allez compact sport.

Now I am very tempted to get a edge 800 but I am not sure how much I will ride during the winter (marathon training will take over). So I was thinking of getting a Cadence sensor for my Garmin 305 forerunner. Do people have these sensor's? Do they work well and how long is the battery life?

Also with the Edge 800 is it worth getting the maps or can you run the openmaps with them and get the same experience? and finally am I right in thinking you have to buy the cadence sensor separately with the edge 800?

Many thanks.

Comments

• isimba wrote:
    Right I have tried to search but struggled to find anything so apologies if this has been discussed before.

right first and foremost I am a runner but I do love cycling and at the start of the summer I replace my hybrid with a specialized allez compact sport.

Now I am very tempted to get a edge 800 but I am not sure how much I will ride during the winter (marathon training will take over). So I was thinking of getting a Cadence sensor for my Garmin 305 forerunner. Do people have these sensor's? Do they work well and how long is the battery life?

Also with the Edge 800 is it worth getting the maps or can you run the openmaps with them and get the same experience? and finally am I right in thinking you have to buy the cadence sensor separately with the edge 800?

Many thanks.
    The Garmin GSC10 is a popular unit even with non Garmin users. Battery life can be years(I have one and don't have a Garmin). Buy a bundle Open maps
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    I come from a running background as well and originally had a 305 and more recently a 410.

My edge 705 is being fixed with Garmin at the moment (not the best advert) but it's a great piece of kit and much cheaper than the 800, which with the touch screen I am a bit wary of, be it that my touch 410 is a bit of a pain in the arse.

I did originally just ride with a Forerunner 305 or my 410, but found the navigation rubbish for the long rides, especially if you are loading a route you are unfamiliar with, something I found I was doing more and more often the longer I rode. I think most of the 705/800 bundles usually have a Cadence sensor thrown in anyway.

I actually still mount my 410 and track the ride with it, as well as the Edge when I ride, it's a back up should signal lose or anything go wrong. I just keep the 410 on the heart rate display screen and use the Edge for all the other displays.