I have a hunch...

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited August 2012 in Training, fitness and health
As the title implies, years slumped over a keyboard have given me rounded shoulders and a neck that juts forwards.

Not only do I look like my dad, I suspect it affects my breathing when I'm on the bike, too.

Can anyone recommend me some daily exercises to strengthen my shoulder muscles and get rid of my hunch?

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If it's as bad as you suggest, perhaps a physiotherapist should be your first port of call?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Pilates.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Edited daft response
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    :?
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Edited daft response
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    You won't sort it with exercise. Myofascial release to pecs, abds, and the back/front of neck should do it. You may also get some benefit from MFR to the intercostals to help open up the rib cage if breathing is compromised. Then you need to strengthen the traps, rhomboids and neck muscles............ and sit up straight more!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Balance a glass of water on your head.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    d87heaven wrote:
    Myofascial release..

Am I the only one who sniggers when someone says this .. ? :lol:
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • ric/rstsport
    ric/rstsport Posts: 681
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    As the title implies, years slumped over a keyboard have given me rounded shoulders and a neck that juts forwards.

Not only do I look like my dad, I suspect it affects my breathing when I'm on the bike, too.

Can anyone recommend me some daily exercises to strengthen my shoulder muscles and get rid of my hunch?

sit upright, rather than slump
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Could be genetic too - but see a physio first before embarking on Internet quick fixes. It is unlikely to be affecting your breathing on a bike - tho' you might have other bike fix issues that are holding you back.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's amazing how much you can correct your "default" posture (sitting or standing) just by being more aware of it. You can sit at a desk with your stomach in and your shoulders back, you just need to think about it more and correct yourself every time you are aware that you are slouching. After a while the better posture should become the default (so I have been told, although I haven't got there myself yet..).
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Yoga Bow pose for stretching the shoulders. For the neck, pull your chin in towards your neck, and hold for a few secs and repeat. Also worth doing the Yoga Cat pose to help release the tension in the back to help with posture.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • d87heaven
    I'm waiting for ptucker to turn up and advise something pot noodles related whilst doing yoga, or sitting up straight.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Sitting up straighter is kind of obvious and I've started down that route. I guess I was wondering what else I could do to help the process.
  • d87heaven
    If your muscles have adapted to that posture just sitting up straight won't do it. In fact there is a study somewhere that attributes posture pain from people trying to sit with better posture....what a screw over eh?