Crank brothers wheels to fit a nukeproof..possible?

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Am i right in thinking Crank brothers don't do a set that's compatible for a Nukeproof?

Wheelset: Nukeproof Generator Race, Thru Axle front 110mm-20mm rear 135mm-12mm

Cheers

Full spec of the bike here

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75658

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be greatful you can get some proper wheels then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • appy
    What like I'm GRATEFUL for your trolling?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Crank bros wheels might look nice but they aren't very strong compared to proper wheels. There is a good reason why nearly every other manufacturer uses 32 or 36 spokes.
  • nicklouse
    appy wrote:
    What like I'm GRATEFUL for your trolling?
    yes i did trawl the crank brothers web site to check for you.

and you should be careful who you sugest is trolling.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not trolling just saving you a shed load of money for a crap set of wheels, which will foook up... my mates company used to be spnsered by crank bros and they a few sets of wheels sure they look good but they were pants they had countless problems with them.. this was back in 2010 thoug..
    they also sponsered by dt swiss their wheels are pretty good...
  • appy
    Why dont you just give a straightforward helpful response? I cant be arsed with all the childish sarky comments that people feel the need to give on this site whatever your status is

Wont be using them for the heavy stuff just the XC days so think they will be fine.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not sarky comments just people giving advise against buying overpriced poor quality wheels designed for style over performance. They aren't even light for their strength.
    Try the Crank Brothers website if you really want a set. Odd choice for a heavy hitting bike.
  • nicklouse
    appy wrote:
    Why dont you just give a straightforward helpful response? I cant be arsed with all the childish sarky comments that people feel the need to give on this site whatever your status is

Wont be using them for the heavy stuff just the XC days so think they will be fine.

And as I said there is none so spend your money on some proper wheels.

Don't believe me go look on their webby as I did.
  • appy
    Ok fairy enough, plan b then....

Just got a new Nukeproof which is an awesome bike but in my opinion very boring to look at. So the obvious way to make a major difference to its looks is by adding some colour to the wheels. Is it going to be cost effective to buy a couloured rim and get a wheelbuider to swap my hub and spokes on to it or will the superstar custom wheel builder be better?

How would say a £300 superstar rim compare quality wise to my standard wheels?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As you don't like sarcastic comments, I won't suggest you pick a colour to match your lippy.
    IMHO it looks right as it is. Anything wrong with the standard wheels? Apart from being black, which is the right colour for wheels and tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • appy
    cooldad wrote:
    As you don't like sarcastic comments, I won't suggest you pick a colour to match your lippy.
    IMHO it looks right as it is. Anything wrong with the standard wheels? Apart from being black, which is the right colour for wheels and tyres.

Exactly "in your opinion" whats wrong with wanting to look different to the masses? I dont get some peoples issues with people who want to add a bit of colour to their bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Superstar AM runs on trizoid hubs is a winning combination
  • cooldad
    Christmas trees are for colour, bikes are for riding. IM(not so)HO of course.

ps you are posting on a forum, you will get different opinions. What were you expecting? How people express them is what makes it interesting.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • appy
    I know the Internets for people with just have to say what they are thinking not whats being asked for but sometimes its just nice to get what you asked for,i didn't ask for opinions i asked for advice ...simple
  • cooldad
    You got some excellent advice, including someone who really knows his sh1t doing your homework for you.
    And while you are correcting his spelling (one day you might even find out why it's a bit random), you should be a bit more careful with your grammar. Glass houses and all that.
    appy wrote:
    I know the internet's for people with? (who?) just have to say what they are thinking, not what's being asked for but sometimes it's just nice to get what you asked for, I didn't ask for opinions I asked for advice ...simple
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • appy
    Excellent advice? What to a questions i didn't ask, that's useful.

I asked a simple question yet got a completely unhelpful response. If I cant give any useful advice to a thread I don't bother replying, if a thread is asking an opinion that's different but im not.
  • rockmonkeysc
    30 seconds on the Crank Bros website would have told you that they only do 9mm or 15mm hubs.
    They only do small hubs because they are xc race wheels xc race bikes don't have 20mm front or 12mm rear axles.
  • appy
    I did look on there and have emailed them as well. They do a 20mm front but not a rear 12mm in 135mm width

these are the iodine sizes
    • Front axle length: qr15 or 20mm thur axle
    • Rear hub shell: 4 cartridge bearings
    • Rear axle length: 135 x 10mm qr / 142 x 12mm thru axle
  • rockmonkeysc
    Can you get QR or 12 x 142mm drop outs for your frame?
    If you just want some nice xc wheels have a look at Superstar, you can get a set with Trizoid hubs for much less than the price of the Crank Bros wheels & they do every axle option. Great hubs as well.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Right, honest answer in simple English.

There are a few things worht considering:
    Carnkbrothers wheels are expensive for what you get.
    Crankbrothers have a bit of a reputation. If they make something that moves; chances are it won't be much good.
    The spoke arrangement is "different." Break one of those bad boys and it's going to be a major pain in the arse getting it fixed.
    If you want colour then superstar and spank offer coloured rims. If you can't find something that takes your fancy then why not pick a decent rim and find a powdercoater?
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    Crankbrothers have a bit of a reputation. If they make something that moves; chances are it won't be much good

Or if it moves and is good it won't move for very long before it breaks (Crank Bros Mallet pedals)
  • appy
    Torres wrote:
    Right, honest answer in simple English.

There are a few things worht considering:
    Carnkbrothers wheels are expensive for what you get.
    Crankbrothers have a bit of a reputation. If they make something that moves; chances are it won't be much good.
    The spoke arrangement is "different." Break one of those bad boys and it's going to be a major pain in the ars* getting it fixed.
    If you want colour then superstar and spank offer coloured rims. If you can't find something that takes your fancy then why not pick a decent rim and find a powdercoater?

Thanks for that will have a look at the spank stuff
  • appy
    Can you get QR or 12 x 142mm drop outs for your frame?
    If you just want some nice xc wheels have a look at Superstar, you can get a set with Trizoid hubs for much less than the price of the Crank Bros wheels & they do every axle option. Great hubs as well.
    Not sure on the hubs. will give superstar a bell and see what they can do, thanks
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Is it not a little broadbrush to infer that all CB stuff will break? Sure they've had issues, including with the wheelsets but I'm pretty sure they've changed the design to rectify the issues for 2012 anyway?

They're a long way from just XC race wheels as well, the Cobalts might be but then there's the AM (Iodine), DH (Opium) and FR (Sage) ranges.

But, it doesn't help you because as Nicklouse said they don't do a 135 x 12 - Should've bought the Strive after all :D
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Woody80 wrote:
    Is it not a little broadbrush to infer that all CB stuff will break?

Absolutely; however crankbrothers are renowned for their issues. You may be right and they may have improved their wheels for this year, however I personally wouldn't touch them untill a few others have tested them and reported back.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if you want to be different and add bling factor, then go for chris king hubs on what ever rims take your fancy.. they come in the sizes you require, and come in different colours to.. they also have a decent warrenty on them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They also cost a rediculous amount. I paid less for a pair of perfectly good DH wheels than the cost of a Chris King rear hub. Chris King do give a lifetime warranty though and there are probably no better hubs.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    To be fair he's binning a perfectly good pair of wheels to add a little colour to make his bike look better and was considering CB wheels so i think we should be suggesting ridiculously costly options to go with his apparently overly stuffed wallet.

OP - did you buy the bike as a complete bike then? Where did you get it from I thought it was a frame only? Should have got a yellow frame then it wouldnt have needed colour, black wheels would look good with a yellow frame.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    did you get it from I thought it was a frame only? quote]

See link in OP.

If you want a nice, light, strong, colourful set of wheels, go for superstar/tune/dt swiss/american classic/similar hubs, supercomp or cx ray spokes and arch ex/flow/enve rims (depending on how much you want to spend)

A superstar/arch ex/cx ray build will be roughly 1600g and £3-400.
    A dt 240/american classic/tune build on flow rims can be as light as 1500g and stronger, but will be closer to £600
    Anything on enve rims will probably be better still but will also be stupidly expensive.
  • appy
    To be fair he's binning a perfectly good pair of wheels to add a little colour to make his bike look better and was considering CB wheels so i think we should be suggesting ridiculously costly options to go with his apparently overly stuffed wallet.

OP - did you buy the bike as a complete bike then? Where did you get it from I thought it was a frame only? Should have got a yellow frame then it wouldnt have needed colour, black wheels would look good with a yellow frame.
    Who said ill be binning any wheels? Will use CB wheels for xc and original for heavier stuff. I dont consider CB wheels ridiculously costly, Why the sarcy comments about my wallet? I work friggin hard, its my money and my bike so why do you have issues with me spending money?

Bike was bought built up as they have been doing them for a while now.

WTF is peoples issue with someone doing something different to a bike?