gear and chain service

2wheelsonit
2wheelsonit Posts: 72
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having bought a used bike in great condition i decided to give the chain and gears a good clean as they were a little oily/gritty

Fortunately the chain has a powerlink so was off in seconds with no tools required. I cleaned this in white spirit by shaking it around in a bottle and then changing fluid and repeating (warning i wouldn't recommend a glass bottle as the chain kinks whilst being shook around making it impossible to get out of the bottle opening meaning i had to cut the bottle open when finished)

I hung the cleaned chain on the line to dry and then removed the jockey wheels from the Sram x7 these were also sounding a little gritty in their rotation i removed the caps from each side of the jockey wheels and cleaned them both thoroughly - the bearings seemed to be sealed but the movement and play seemed fine so i greased the sides added the caps and returned to the hanger and cleaning any dirt from it.

The chain now being dry i placed it in a bin bag squirted in a helping of scotoiler and gave it all a good work around/shake and let it soak in whilst i cleaned the rear cassette and front deraileur sprockets with some wd40 and elbow grease

I then wiped the excess lube from the chain by running it through a rag and reattached it to the bike i also found that the rear deraileur mount was loose whilst removing the jockey wheels which is another benefit of giving your bike a good hands on clean and service - you find potential issues before they become problems.

Took about an hour and i took the bike out for a spin the gears now feel even silkier, run quieter and change easier.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice to see your doing the gritty part of the mtb curse, I love doing the cassette and deraileur it just makes you feel warm inside when its gleeming clean.

But it never ends..........
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Yeah vicious circle.. to be honest i won't be cleaning in white spirit very often this was just an initial deep clean water and slight lube now again should suffice for a good while