Tips for using rollers?

Todd Sweeney
Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
Apologies if this has been covered before. I recently picked up a pair of Tacx Antares rollers. However, I am finding it very difficult to get on with them. I have tried using them in a doorway as suggested on various You Tube videos. However, I just can't seem to keep my balance. I think I am probably being too cautious but as soon as I stop holding or leaning on the wall for a few seconds I feel like I am going to tip sideways and have to grab back on again.

I have the same problem when trying to cycle outside without holding on to the handlebars. Just can't do it!

Any methods or suggestions to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    practice. If you can ride a bike, there's no practical reason why you shouldn't be able to ride rollers. Keeping your cadence up and your speed above 15mph will also help...if you aren't doing that already..
  • Balance thingy is definitely in the mind to a great extent. Choose a fixed point in your line of sight and focus on cycling 'towards' it - don't look around for somewhere to fall off or hold on to - don't even think about it - otherwise your brain will want to do just that!
    Works on a motorbike - focus on where you want to be and you will go there - focus on the cones and you hit the cones
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It's easier to ride quickly than slowly. I have 99% of my near misses during my warm down when I'm in a low gear at 60-70 rpm rather than when I'm riding hard.

As has been said, focus on a point in directly front of you and you will stay in the middle. When you drink put your non-drinking hand as close to the stem as possible and take shorter sips of water so that you can regain your focus between sips.

There was a time when I had to stop to drink and couldn't even look at my cassette without almost coming off but as with all things, practice makes perfect.

I still can't ride with no hands on the rollers and I'm always within an arms length of a wall but I don't consciously worry about coming off like I did for the first 10-15 hours use!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    make sure you touch something metal after a hard fast ride
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I found it best to start in a narrow hallway where i could start with both hands on the bars with my elbow against the wall without fear of falling either direction.
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Look ahead. If you look down you'll wobble around like a newborn Bambi.

Your wheel speed gives you stability so make sure you keep the speed up.
  • Pump your tyres up really hard at first so it takes less power to maintain a good speed. As said above, higher speed gives more stability. Once you get used to it you can let a bit more air out to get a better workout, but for now concentrate on getting the technique right.

All the above are good tips, put something about 3 feet in front of you (a chair?) to focus on and don't try to look around or down until you feel comfortable. Also for me it's easier riding on the hoods than on the tops of the bars, it lowers centre of gravity a bit and makes the bike a bit more stable. Good luck, and remember you're not going fast (or at any sped at all) so a fall is pretty innocuous especially if you are in a hall or a doorway etc..
  • Thanks for the tips all!

I shall try and put them into practice tonight - much appreciated.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Make sure the rollers are set up correctly to your bike's wheelbase - if the front wheel is too far behind the roller the handling is affected.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Having it next to a wall can help - so your shoulder can touch the wall before you fall off that way you can always drift to that side if it starts getting out of shape - doorways are a bit too narrow really unless you have very wide shoulders or very narrow doorways.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • henwl
    henwl Posts: 19
    Ride in the big ring. I find it hard to balance at lower speeds, but very easy one I'm above about 25 km/h. Still haven't mastered no-handed riding yet though.
  • Herbsman
    No-handed's a piece of cake - you wanna try no-footed.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
  • I have one question. I've been riding rollers for a while, but I thought I could buy a fork stand for those harder intervals (I've got resistance unit already, so it's not a problem). I was just wondering whether taking off the front wheel would decrease the resistance and if so, is it significant? :)
  • I agree with the tips on:

- Quick cadence
    - Look ahead
    - Something unmovable to lean against if it gets rough.

However, I haven't had any problems those times when I fly of the rollers. You stop instantly and only need to be quite quick in releasing your foot from the pedal.

About a front wheel stand: I also thought about geting such device, but I decided that balance was more important and I kept riding. Now I can go real hard (cadence + 140 rpm) and do sprints.
    Fredrik Nystedt, Sweden
    Please take a look at my Tour of Flanders video(http://youtu.be/h69_542YBIQ)
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    Have you tried just leaning on the wall and pedalling?
    Dont concentrate on balancing just pedal.
    After a matter of time you will be pedalling fast enoughto balance.
  • Herbsman
    Relax and read a book