Coaching in the UK

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
I am looking to broaden my skillset by adding a coaching qual.
I have checked out BC, but will not be coaching juniors and their level 2 does seem biased towrds that aspect.
The ABCC offer a coaching qual which seems more appropriate to me.
Any ABCC coaches on board here to give it the thumbs up/opinions?
I add that I already have clients but on the fitness side, I just want an added string to the bow by adding a formal road cycling qual.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    JGSI wrote:
    I am looking to broaden my skillset by adding a coaching qual.
    I have checked out BC, but will not be coaching juniors and their level 2 does seem biased towrds that aspect.
    The ABCC offer a coaching qual which seems more appropriate to me.
    Any ABCC coaches on board here to give it the thumbs up/opinions?
    I add that I already have clients but on the fitness side, I just want an added string to the bow by adding a formal road cycling qual.

I'm just about to start on the BC course (I hope) and I can see what you mean but I see it as a stepping-stone towards Level 2 specific and ultimately level 3. It does seem a costly way to do it though.
  • jgsi
    I'm also being as cost effective as possible as I am not actually intending to spend my own money, but budgets are tight.
    I'd like this extra to give confidence to clients who know I compete and are starting to pester for formal coaching, which is no bad thing.
    I know we have a few coaches on board with BR, hopefully they may pick up.
    Good luck on your track though! :)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've completed the ABCC course and British Cycling courses up to Level 3 (Road and TT). I am also a tutor on the BC courses so I know those courses pretty well. I've been coaching full-time for 5 years now and have provided coaching advice to dozens of cyclists, so I have a good idea as to what is and what isn't useful.

I'll PM my views to you when I get some spare time, JGSI. Apologies that I've got too much on my plate to spend time on it today.

Ruth
  • jgsi
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    I've completed the ABCC course and British Cycling courses up to Level 3 (Road and TT). I am also a tutor on the BC courses so I know those courses pretty well. I've been coaching full-time for 5 years now and have provided coaching advice to dozens of cyclists, so I have a good idea as to what is and what isn't useful.

I'll PM my views to you when I get some spare time, JGSI. Apologies that I've got too much on my plate to spend time on it today.

Ruth

Appreciated ! :)
  • i have also been through the ABCC qualification and BC Road & TT courses through level 3.
    if you're not interested in coaching kids (and beleive me there is a lot of pretending how to direct kids around traffic cones in a school playground about the BC courses) and dont want to waste 2 or more years before BC says you can be trusted to coach individuals then i'd recommend the ABCC course. it may benefit from some updating (do your own research in your own time) but it has some good content delivered in a non nonsense manner.