Quad pains

kangarouge
kangarouge Posts: 210
Whenever I do a club run over about 40 miles and get out of the saddle when going uphills, I develop cramp like pains in the lower part of my quads, just above the knees. If I stay seated though, I can feel the muscles begin to tighten and then satrt to get sore but it doesn't develop into cramp pains.

This has been happening regularly for several months now and I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar and possibly know what this condition is.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,612
    assuming you are staying hydrated, then it might be worth getting your bike fit checked, could be that you are putting excess strain on your legs due to incorrect position

some suggestions here...

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I get that when my seatpost has slipped, check your saddle height. I would also second the bike fit option, though you can do it yourself quite easily using the calculator here
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Agreed sounds like a setup problem, check this out before worrying about anything else.
  • Suffered the same symtoms last year on a new bike, raised the saddle 5mm, problem gone away.

atb
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. Though my bike bike-fit positioning should be the same as it was prioir to me developing this condition, I will re-check all the measurements, with particular attention being paid to the saddle height.

However, I can't help feeling that it's more like some sort of injury. Next time I'm out I'm going to consume more liquids than previously and if that doesn't work, then try one thing at a time.

Again, many thanks to all.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's the same in both legs I'd have thought it's less likely to be injury
  • Pretty sure it will be the saddle, even though I measured both my bikes up to be the same height from saddle to peddle and conviced they were the same, only one bike gave me a problem with my quads cramping, 5mm was all it took in the end to resolve the issue after several weeks of sufferring after training and having to limp home. Until then all sorts of thoughts went through the mind, de-hidration, lack of training, over training but no 5mm was all it took to sort out the problem.

Good luck.