Smokers

13»

Comments

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    davmaggs wrote:

I've often thought it would be nice to go through the processes of tapping out a pipe, filling it up and having a good train-like puff prior to a running event just to annoy people.

I have decided that if I am ever diagnosed with a terminal illness that I am going to start smoking a pipe. And now I have added (to my list) smoking it in public areas just to be a trouble maker.

Like :)
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    OK, so my comment about "back in the day...racism" may have been misunderstood...

The point I was trying to make was that the argument "Back in the day" is lame - what was acceptable behaviour 20 years ago is not necessarily so now, and harking back to the good old days is not a valid reason for anti-social behaviour.

Ends.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    OK, so my comment about "back in the day...racism" may have been misunderstood...

The point I was trying to make was that the argument "Back in the day" is lame - what was acceptable behaviour 20 years ago is not necessarily so now, and harking back to the good old days is not a valid reason for anti-social behaviour.

Ends.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    SecretSam wrote:

Ends.

I'd suggest telling people to stop smoking when they're entitled too is more anti-social...
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    What we really need is a completely sanitised, Orwellian society within which we could enjoy our own lives without the displeasure of being impacted by other human beings. That would solve it.

To achieve it requires rules, lots of rules.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    London-Red wrote:
    What we really need is a completely sanitised, Orwellian society within which we could enjoy our own lives without the displeasure of being impacted by other human beings. That would solve it.

To achieve it requires rules, lots of rules.

Or free, limitless energy, and the technology to turn energy into matter.

Yah!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dm38 wrote:

Banning them completely would be the worst policy decision - risk criminalising a fifth of the population plus it just means it will go down the same road of all other banned substances and that clearly hasn't worked and increases the health risk as there is no control or regulation of what goes in i.e. heroin and ecstacy- so ultimately less risk in keeping it legal. Tax is not really a net benefit to the economy either as it's not just the cost to health but lost workforce productivity, more sick days etc etc - plus tax also helps in encouraging people to quit and to be honest tax isn't as big as we are lead to believe the tobacco industry, like oil and alcohol always increase their prices on the day the tax increse is introduced.

ALso in terms of health benefits
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10266997
    it is an irony that kids are the most suseptible to secondhand smoke yet they are the most exposed and have the least protection i.e. did anyone see the coverage of banning people from smoking in cars when kids are in them and the reaction against - as a cyclist I see loads of people smoking in cars on the school run everyday! And to be honest I also remember the stoners at university who would go and smoke in their cars with the windows up to get a better high.

I agree that banning things completely is not the answer....but by allowing smoking to continue, then moving inevitably to not smoking where anyone else who doesn't smoke might be....is crazy.....

perhaps if there were more designated smoking areas, there wouldn't be such an issue....

I remember sitting in Yo-Below in edinburgh some years ago.....the system they had there for getting rid of smoke was phenominal.....

no matter how many people in the place were smoking,.....you couldn't smell it, or see any smoke....

every table had a little extraction unit (and a draught beer tap), and any exhaled smoke was removed immediately...

it was honestly superb....

Now if premises were to allowed to be licensed for smoking, but with a reponsibility to provide that quality of extraction.....there wouldn't be an issue.

Also....on net income effect of smoking....I am under the impression that various studies are in disagreement about the true cost, expecially when you include productivity etc....

things like...smokers go outside for a 5 min cig....but non-smokers tend to hang around the coffee machine for 20 minutes...etc etc....

I don't know about sickness days.....I am one of the only guys in my company who doesn't have kids.....I have had zero sick days in 3 years..(ok, partly because I always seem to get ill when off on holiday or at the weekend etc... :x ), whilst most parents have had several periods of absence during the last 6 months, due to sickness aquired through their kids.......

basically saying that its difficult to take some of these statistics particularly seriously, as there are so many factors that sometimes its impossible to separate them.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I am an ex smoker - 16 years and counting. However, I do smoke cigars (good quality cigars!)

However, I was smoking a cigar outside a bar in California. The couple next to my wife and I were clearly getting a bit upset about the smoke, so, I stopped smoking made my apologies and bought them a bottle of wine.

As such, I learned my lesson. Always ask your surrounding guests before lighting up and make sure it is not around kids.

I usually brush my teeth and have a shower afterwards too.....If I am at home.

It seems a bit extreme and really, I should completely quit, but it is my once a week luxury.

Cigar's absolutely stink! They aren't as commonly found these days so their smell is distinctly noticeable and less tolerated than cigarettes .

If sex is unwelcome in a public place, imagine the response to an orgy in the same public place. That's what cigar smoke is like compared to cigarette smoke.

They look cool and gangstary though.....Give me an air of elegance and distinction whilst being slightly "wild".

Some people quite like the smell of cigar smoke...but not you!

I will remember to keep my Cohiba to myself when in one's presence.....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    things like...smokers go outside for a 5 min cig....but non-smokers tend to hang around the coffee machine for 20 minutes...etc etc....

always chuckle at this......

i've never met anyone who could go have a cig in 5. in a small office, you can get outside quite quickly, but in some larger places, waiting for lifts etc., and now having to totally leave the building, it takes 5 min just to get to lighting up!

also, every smoker i know has coffee breaks too.....
    but by allowing smoking to continue, then moving inevitably to not smoking where anyone else who doesn't smoke might be....is crazy.....

why? in fact, given what we know, and granted we aren't going to ban it, isn't the most logical progression that an individual has the right to smoke, but they mustn't impinge on non smokers?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited June 2011
    t4tomo wrote:
    Seems a little extreme.

Where's the (actual) harm?

It stinks and its particulary unpleasent to eat with smoke billowing over you. Would you eat a picnic next to the exhaust pipe of a lorry with its engine running? I doubt it.

If cigarette smoke is pleasent, why do smokers blow it away from themselves and hold their cigarette away from themselves? Tell me that Mr Chasey. :D

*shrugs* I don't smoke.

Just seems an overreaction to something that, in instances like this, is totally harmless.

People hate the smell now because of what they associate with it. Back in the day, you'd rarely get anyone complaining.

They mightn't have complained, but that was possibly because I guess it is harder for a smoker to smell cigarette smoke if they already smell of smoke themselves.

I remember as a kid hating the smell of cigarette smoke when we visited our next-door neighbour, and also that my granddad smoked an evil-smelling pipe. Cigar smoke always seemed a lot less unpleasant to me.

Books from the early to mid twentieth century often have references to people's foul-smelling brands of tobacco, the stink of Gauloises is often mentioned in books by English people when mentioning France.

These were usually complaints - just not directed at the smokers, just as I don't direct complaints at the rain gods when it rains because it just happens.

In other words, the complaints probably weren't there because they wouldn't have been heard.

It would also have been hard to complain to someone about their tobacco if you yourself smoke.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,762
    gtvlusso wrote:
    They look cool and gangstary though.....Give me an air of elegance and distinction whilst being slightly "wild".

Or perhaps they allow you a little nostalgic flashback to your former 'guitars & superbikes' lifestyle. :wink:

I was never cool, gangstery, or wild :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:

Don't worry grandad, you are to me.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,762
    Where's that Stuey puking gif when you need it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    There are dirty couldn't give a damn smokers and there are a few considerate ones.

Y E A R S ago when I smoked I NEVER did so where people ate, always put my cigarette out and the end back in the packet and NEVER threw it on the floor, and when I was near someone where I thought I could smoke I ALWAYS asked "do you mind if I smoke, if they said yes I moved".

Also you can tell a lot about the people who live in an area, take Tavistock as an example, could be Camberley or Windsor, almost no cigarette ends or chewing gum on the floors, now visit west Yorkshire, Pontefract, Leeds, Camelford :?

I remember one day in a hotel I asked a chap if he minded not smoking whilst we were eating, my sons were young, he said "if you don't like it go outside", I look back and smile as he now "goes outside" he also said "never happen mate" when I said it will be benned inside one day soon. :twisted:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    It is precisely none of my business what substances, intoxicants or stimulants you put into your body. But if what you do impacts on me then I think I am allowed an opinion on it, and smoking is a good example of this.
    I don't smoke and find it quite unpleasant (and baffling - why would you do that? Really, why?). That's why banning it in enclosed premises was sensible. What is probably most remarkable is that someone thought this worthy of mention as an OP. This indicates to me that this is now a rare event (thank goodness), and a sign of the times that it is now possible to confront someone over their inconsiderate behaviour.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I smoked for 27 years, just over a month ago I gave up. Yes I had loads of cigarette breaks, but often it was time that I could spend thinking about something without any interruptions. Not wasted time at all. Where on earth does this crazy idea that by not sitting at your desk means you are not working/productive come from?

Give smokers a break, it's an addiction, yes it smells but you often find the most outgoing people are smokers.
  • Buff40
    Buff40 Posts: 19
    Does anyone else see the irony in criticising smokers for smoking outside (whatever the area if they are within the current law) for the discomfort they allegedly cause, when by definition (with this being a commuting forum after all) we voluntarily subject ourselves to an environment which consists of many of the same carcinogenic compounds and dangerous gases at probably a far higher concentration on a daily basis......?

For the record, I'm an ex-smoker, gave up on January 1st this year, however, if someone is smoking in accordance with the current law, it's their right to do so, whether i like it or not is irrelevant. I have exactly the same chance as a smoker of dying.............that'll be around a 100%

:wink:
    FCN 9
  • - Hi. - Are you?

-A little bit from yesterday, you know, when Kenny got--

... But-But-But, listen. l'm done.

l'm done smokin' it. This is the last of it, right here.

l just wanted you to see me get rid of it.

Could we just have a-- a moment alone ?

-Do what you gotta do. Be strong.

-Thanks, baby.

*talks to cigarette*

-Baby, bein' with you these past 11 years has been wonderful.

But l gotta move on.

-Come on. Smoke me. Have a quickie for old time's sake.

-No. She's looking.

She's looking. All right. Real quick.

No. No ! lt wouldn't be right.

-Goddamn you !

Yooooou'llll be baaaacck !

-Everything work out okay ?

-Yeah, l love you.

l love you too.

l know. l know what you're thinkin'.
    That old emotionless_softcore sold out, right?
    But let me tell you something. l love smoking, okay ?

l LOVE it.

But not as much as l love cycling.

The End.

With apologies to Dave Chappelle
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    PBo wrote:

always chuckle at this......

i've never met anyone who could go have a cig in 5. in a small office, you can get outside quite quickly, but in some larger places, waiting for lifts etc., and now having to totally leave the building, it takes 5 min just to get to lighting up!

also, every smoker i know has coffee breaks too.....
    but by allowing smoking to continue, then moving inevitably to not smoking where anyone else who doesn't smoke might be....is crazy.....

why? in fact, given what we know, and granted we aren't going to ban it, isn't the most logical progression that an individual has the right to smoke, but they mustn't impinge on non smokers?

to the why question...sure...in principle I agree....but is walking down the street/standing outside a bar/sitting in a wide open public park/on the beach whilst smoking a fag inpinging on non-smokers? I don;t think it HAS to be, given some consideration.

On organisations....

Yeah..I know what you mean....of course smokers get a coffee etc....but some studies suggest that non-smokers take longer intentionally because they say...well I don't smoke...so i don't need to rush...whilst smokers more and more feel like the quick cig is a bonus so do so as quickly as possible...

As I said outside of your selective quote....I don't really trust any of those figures/conclusions/suggestions....too many reports compare apples and pears, then present them as bananas.

but....

In those types of organisations you talk about...the coffee machine/costa susidiary etc...are often also on the ground floor....so it takes just as long to get to ordering the coffee as it does to lighting up......

and...In fairness....in large organisation I have worked in (mostly financials)...the most productive discussions happen outside in the smoking area.....to the point where non-smokers go outside to be involved in the conversations....for fear of missing out on something important!

certainly more productive than being on a conference call with 20 people, where only 5 have anything to say (conference calls have to be the biggest job dodge ever!), or in incident meetings every half hour for 15 minutes, not leaving enough time in between to actually work on the incident!

I just think that if we take that smoking is an addiction as a given....then it is fairly difficult to impose rules that will not be broken at some point....

I see that on the bbc today, there is a story about some mp's joining campaigners to relax/change the smoking ban regulations, to allow pubs and clubs an option of providing a ventilated smoking room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13948624

just talk at the moment....

but as i said before...and a few people have kind of agreed....with a bit of consideration....and a bit of give and take....its a molehill compared to the mountain that is sometimes made from it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Or perhaps they allow you a little nostalgic flashback to your former 'guitars & superbikes' lifestyle. :wink:

I don't think I was either....I just thought I was!

Still, A cigar fits nicely with my grey hair and silver Mercedes (with rusty bits).

Were's my zimmer frame?
  • Ever tried smoking when cycling? It's hilarious, it burns down in like 2 seconds and you get a face full of sparks and burnt bits.