Smokers

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
right, i was in Alton Towers yesterday with my mrs, her sister an younger brother we stopped to have a bite to eat an the people sitting behind us were smoking, the place we were all sitting was designated eating area (the people smoking were not eating food either)

so i said to them are you suppose to be smoking here? the wind is behind you an blowing your smoke over to us an there are kids here who probably don't want your smoke either

shortly after this they moved on, i felt a bit guilty then for "having a go" but i dotn think its nice smoke going into your face especially when you are trying to eat

thoughts?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    completely agree - filthy habit and peole who do it inconsiderately deserve at least a good telling off.

Mind you if there are midges about and you're outside then next to the cigar smoker is the best place to be
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2011
    Seems a little extreme.

Where's the (actual) harm?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Am a total nazi about the Cancer-chancers and their filthy, evil habit. Would it be socially acceptable to sit next to someone and then f&rt? No - but f&rting won't give them cancer (unless you've really overdone the sprouts) - yet it's OK to pollute the air with carcinogens, etc??

Don't worry about it at all - smoking in an eating area, even outdoors, is seriously rude and out of order, so don't sweat about giving them what for.

Oh - and in case any smoking cyclists are reading, and thinking "personal freedoms, my lungs, etc." - I'm an ex-smoker (11 years freedom and counting) and having worked on a number of cancer centre projects, I know only too well what the "Big C" can do. I think Britain is going the way of other nations, where smoking is socially unacceptable - can't come too soon for me.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I gave up just over a month ago. Feel much better for it. Smokers are outcasts these days in the UK, pubs just aren't the same.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    is it in new york central park and times square where you cant smoke outdoors? :D

when can we expect the same here???
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Seems a little extreme.

It stinks and its particulary unpleasent to eat with smoke billowing over you. Would you eat a picnic next to the exhaust pipe of a lorry with its engine running? I doubt it.

If cigarette smoke is pleasent, why do smokers blow it away from themselves and hold their cigarette away from themselves? Tell me that Mr Chasey. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Bloke at work quit and he reckons he's saving four grand a year. Its enough to make me start and give up! As for the OP not a smoker and never have been but it doesn't really bother me. My pregnant wife and 1yr old however, i would have done the same as you did. Finally, its nice to have a night out and not be repulsed by the smell of your clothes and skin the next morning (not that i can remember my last night out).
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • mudcow007
    i grew up with both my parents who smoked like troopers an hated it then.

in a way a feel a bit sorry for smokers they do seem to be having a bad time not allowed to smoke here an not allowed to smoke there either but i do really think that you shouldn't smoke where non smokers are. its your choice to smoke not ours so why shouldn't have to inhale your smoke especially when eating
  • rick_chasey
    t4tomo wrote:
    Seems a little extreme.

It stinks and its particulary unpleasent to eat with smoke billowing over you. Would you eat a picnic next to the exhaust pipe of a lorry with its engine running? I doubt it.

If cigarette smoke is pleasent, why do smokers blow it away from themselves and hold their cigarette away from themselves? Tell me that Mr Chasey. :D

*shrugs* I don't smoke.

Just seems an overreaction to something that, in instances like this, is totally harmless.

People hate the smell now because of what they associate with it. Back in the day, you'd rarely get anyone complaining.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I have never smoked and used to feel a little sorry for smokers but if I am honest now I think it is a revolting habit all round.
    The issue is that it impacts on everyone else, not only them.

When I have a shower why should I then stink after just because someone else is smoking. I don't make them smell.

Also, why is it acceptable to just throw fag buts on the floor!

Grrr.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    *shrugs* I don't smoke.

Just seems an overreaction to something that, in instances like this, is totally harmless.

People hate the smell now because of what they associate with it. Back in the day, you'd rarely get anyone complaining.

"Back in the day", racism was accepted in many aspects of life, eg at football matches (monkey noises, bananas, etc.). If someone did that now, would it be OK?

I rest my case. Smoking is a filthy, dangerous and polluting addiction. The sooner it's made socially unacceptable, the sooner we can move towards eradicating it.

[/sermon] :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I think you should have chucked in a threat to call the police.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2011
    Seems a little extreme.

Second hand smoke

Personally I think smoking where people are eating (may be compounded by the fact that those people are non-smokers) is unhygienic it may also ruin the experience (taste) of the food for the non-smokers.

That said, smoking and having a deeply embodied indulgent red wine is a beautiful pleasure. Add a steak and I'm in ecstasy! Also some women who smoke can also either look sexy, smell sexy or be both. So I don't see it as the complete evil others do.

I accept that there may be some conflict in the two paragraphs. So what, read the info make a decision. Choose your choice.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Agree when it's around people eating, but otherwise what's the big deal.
    You walk down the street next to cars all day.
    exercise.png
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I am a smoker...I gave them up last year but started again....i will beat it...one of these days....just need to keep trying.

I hate littering in general...so throwing butts on the floor is a big no-no...especially now that most litter bins have ashtrays on top.

I try to be as considerate as I can. If I am at a bus stop, I stand away from the shelter etc.

I don't stand in the doorways of pubs etc...it annoys the fark out of me trying to run the gauntlet through a throng of people trying to get into places....

basically...I think about who is around me when I light up.

So with the 'I am as considerate as I can be' thing out of the way...

It does seem that non-smokers have recently become much more forward in registering their distaste...seems to have come along shortly after the smoking ban...

This can be seen above with all the 'eradicate the filthy habit' type comments above....surely my habits don't really affect you (with the considerate caveat)....

So resumably...all you can really hope for....is to eradicate the inconsiderate behaviour....and leave people to have their own habits.

I do kind of wish the government would just MTFU about it though and ban them completely, or stop getting on their horse about it.....it strikes me as having their cake and eating it, while they are still happy to receive the tax revenue, but are basically moving towards only being able to smoke in your own home....

If there is one thing I know about smoking....is that limiting it to when you are at home...is impossible.

And lastly a question....are there any other public health issues which are dealt with successfully, by passing laws about where and when you are allowed to indulge in the health problem?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I can't stand the smell of smoke and will avoid being around smokers if I can. I won't go so far as to mention it to strangers but I consider it pretty anti social to light up next to other people in public. Its so rare that I ever really have to put up with it anyway since the smoking ban. :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I did the Pearson 150 sportive a few weeks back - London to Brighton and back again. At the last food stop I saw 2 lycra clad cyclists sharing a fag whilst everyone else tucked into the cake and enerfy drink! Made me laugh...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    cee wrote:
    I am a smoker...I gave them up last year but started again....i will beat it...one of these days....just need to keep trying.

I hate littering in general...so throwing butts on the floor is a big no-no...especially now that most litter bins have ashtrays on top.

I try to be as considerate as I can. If I am at a bus stop, I stand away from the shelter etc.

I don't stand in the doorways of pubs etc...it annoys the fark out of me trying to run the gauntlet through a throng of people trying to get into places....

basically...I think about who is around me when I light up.

So with the 'I am as considerate as I can be' thing out of the way...

It does seem that non-smokers have recently become much more forward in registering their distaste...seems to have come along shortly after the smoking ban...

This can be seen above with all the 'eradicate the filthy habit' type comments above....surely my habits don't really affect you (with the considerate caveat)....

So resumably...all you can really hope for....is to eradicate the inconsiderate behaviour....and leave people to have their own habits.

I do kind of wish the government would just MTFU about it though and ban them completely, or stop getting on their horse about it.....it strikes me as having their cake and eating it, while they are still happy to receive the tax revenue, but are basically moving towards only being able to smoke in your own home....

If there is one thing I know about smoking....is that limiting it to when you are at home...is impossible.

And lastly a question....are there any other public health issues which are dealt with successfully, by passing laws about where and when you are allowed to indulge in the health problem?

an excellent distinction....
  • mudcow007
    I did the Pearson 150 sportive a few weeks back - London to Brighton and back again. At the last food stop I saw 2 lycra clad cyclists sharing a fag whilst everyone else tucked into the cake and enerfy drink! Made me laugh...

every single year of the liverpool to chester bike ride (54 miles) at the very beginning of the ride you have to ride through the mersey tunnel which has a bit of a climb to to exit (its 2.5miles) every year without fail there are a gang of smokers at the top of the climb sucking on cigarettes, always makes me chuckle
  • rick_chasey
    SecretSam wrote:

"Back in the day", racism was accepted in many aspects of life, eg at football matches (monkey noises, bananas, etc.). If someone did that now, would it be OK?

I rest my case. Smoking is a filthy, dangerous and polluting addiction. The sooner it's made socially unacceptable, the sooner we can move towards eradicating it.

*facepalm*

Is a racism claim the new nazi?

They're so different I can't really be bothered to argue this one.

Racism and smoking? Seriously?

As for the secondary smoking. You're outside, they're not blowing it in your face, and it's for how long? 10 minutes? 20? All the secondary smoking stuff was for children who lived with parents who smoked indoors, usually in the same room which is pretty different to a guy smoking outside nearby and some of it happens to blow over. It's hardly hotboxing is it?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I am an ex smoker - 16 years and counting. However, I do smoke cigars (good quality cigars!)

However, I was smoking a cigar outside a bar in California. The couple next to my wife and I were clearly getting a bit upset about the smoke, so, I stopped smoking made my apologies and bought them a bottle of wine.

As such, I learned my lesson. Always ask your surrounding guests before lighting up and make sure it is not around kids.

I usually brush my teeth and have a shower afterwards too.....If I am at home.

It seems a bit extreme and really, I should completely quit, but it is my once a week luxury.
  • PBo
    Sewinman wrote:
    I think you should have chucked in a threat to call the police.

:)

No, he didn't need to - he already took on the role of police, judge and jury :wink:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    t4tomo wrote:
    Seems a little extreme.

*shrugs* I don't smoke.

Harmless? Probably.

Bloody unpleasant? Definitately. I seriously doubt that people hate the smell of smoke because of the (now known) health risks. It smells nasty, and whilst I think smoking out in the open is generally fine, it's really not nice for anyone eating close by.

Alton Towers, like many places, has dedicated smoking areas placed where the risk of bothering others is lower. If people aren't using these, I don't think it's wrong to point out that they should.

I'm not an anti-smoking nazi, but like anything else (farting, swearing, shouting, throwing spoons, etc.), people should show a little consideration for those who might be within range.
  • Monkeypump
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I am an ex smoker - 16 years and counting. However, I do smoke cigars (good quality cigars!)

However, I was smoking a cigar outside a bar in California. The couple next to my wife and I were clearly getting a bit upset about the smoke, so, I stopped smoking made my apologies and bought them a bottle of wine.

As such, I learned my lesson. Always ask your surrounding guests before lighting up and make sure it is not around kids.

I usually brush my teeth and have a shower afterwards too.....If I am at home.

It seems a bit extreme and really, I should completely quit, but it is my once a week luxury.

The very thought of your selfish behaviour upsets me deeply. I'll take a bottle of Catana Malbec, 2008 please. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, you English are weird.

I don't get it. You're outside, people smoke. Don't like it? Go inside. What did you all do before it was banned inside?

Equating smoking to swearing or shouting? We had racism earlier on.

Bizarre.
  • Sewinman
    I was talking about this subject the other day with my GF. Slightly different scenario but we were sitting in the outside bar of Vinopolis in London having a stupidly expensive bottle of Prosecco (is it not meant to be the cheap alternative!). A group arrived and sat down next to us with a couple of prams containing new born babies. We were put off having a fag due to proximity of babies. One of the babies started screaming and kind of ruined the atmosphere. We drained the bottle and headed off.

Inconsiderate noise polluting babies! Ban em!
  • PBo
    SecretSam wrote:

*facepalm*

As for the secondary smoking. You're outside, they're not blowing it in your face, and it's for how long? 10 minutes? 20? All the secondary smoking stuff was for children who lived with parents who smoked indoors, usually in the same room which is pretty different to a guy smoking outside nearby and some of it happens to blow over. It's hardly hotboxing is it?

I call Godwin!!!!!

quick mods, lock this, we've already got the drinking in a car thread, we don't need this too.

i'll end up wasting twice as much time posting on both, when they are only going to throw up the same arguments....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    SecretSam wrote:

*facepalm*

Doesn't make a difference it's still secondary smoke and a non-smoker, given that they have chosen not to smoke, may not want to be subjected to it.

Irks me when you get those obnoxious types that when in a social environment and asked to stop, move or put it out, refuse claiming it's "hardly harming anyone". Why must their actions impose them self upon me? I hate people like that I really do.

Like a fart some people simply do not want to breath in the gas other people put out. Be it indoors or outdoors.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Ah, you English are weird.

I don't get it. You're outside, people smoke. Don't like it? Go inside. What did you all do before it was banned inside?

Equating smoking to swearing or shouting? We had racism earlier on.

Bizarre.

It's not about being English or weird (although I'm happy to accept being both).

If you're smoking in a place you shouldn't be, and your smoke annoys me, I'm going to ask you to put it out or go elsewhere. Them's the rules, if you don't like it.... er... I don't care.

If someone is just being a selfish moron, but is perfectly within their rights to smoke, perhaps I would move away. But I'd expect people so show a bit more respect in an area designated for eating.
  • Sewinman
    Monkeypump wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Seems a little extreme.

*shrugs* I don't smoke.

Harmless? Probably.

Bloody unpleasant? Definitately. I seriously doubt that people hate the smell of smoke because of the (now known) health risks. It smells nasty, and whilst I think smoking out in the open is generally fine, it's really not nice for anyone eating close by.

Alton Towers, like many places, has dedicated smoking areas placed where the risk of bothering others is lower. If people aren't using these, I don't think it's wrong to point out that they should.

I'm not an anti-smoking nazi, but like anything else (farting, swearing, shouting, throwing spoons, etc.), people should show a little consideration for those who might be within range.

Are you sure? I came inside from having a fag at the SCR Xmas do a few years back and you detected the smell and declared "Are you a smoker...I hate you!".