10 mile TT top end training

red_eye5
red_eye5 Posts: 57
Hi,

Any ideas on what best I should be doing to up my overall
speed on a 10 mile TT?

I did 28:30 last night ( first TT) on a slightly hill and rough circuit I am hoping to get down as much as possible. I dont have power meter but go on HR zones. Also don't have a TT bike or tri bars but am considering the latter. Have access to a turbo though but hate using it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If you want to do quality top end intervals I would use the turbo. You can do them on the road, but without a PM, they can be really hit or miss IMO. HR is pointless for short intervals so you need to do them on perceived effort, and if on the turbo you can use rear wheel speed as a proxy for power.

You need to do some 5 or 6 mins intervals at over 10m TT pace/effort. Try and do 4 quality intervals, they will hurt, but these will help no end for 10m TT's.

A progressive training plan focusing on achieving targets is a real must though, no point in doing 1 or 2 sets of intervals a week, if the rest of your cycling is just random riding around.
  • red_eye5 wrote:
    Also don't have a TT bike or tri bars but am considering the latter.
    This.
    red_eye5 wrote:
    Have access to a turbo though but hate using it.
    Learn to love it. Some are better to use than others though.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    SBezza wrote:
    A progressive training plan focusing on achieving targets is a real must though, no point in doing 1 or 2 sets of intervals a week, if the rest of your cycling is just random riding around.

Can you expand on this? what sort of riding would be beneficial alongside interval stuff?

I ask because i find myself in a similar position to the OP, i'm struggling to break 25/26min 10s

I tend to do about 3x 20-30mile rides pretty much as quick as i can. I very rarely do anything over this distance. Combined with 1 or 2 sets of interval stuff a week.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Create a plan that progressively overloads the body, let it recover, and repeat and you will get faster as you get fitter. Don't do the same thing every week, keep the body guessing.

If you only intend to target 10 mile TT's then 20-30 miles rides should be ample, though just riding them as fast as possible every time, might not be the best way. Try and include intervals within that ride, that for 5-20 mins simulate riding at intensities of around or higher than a 10 mile TT.

Do some of the rides on the TT bike as well so you can get used to putting out the power in this position, no doubt it will be lower than what you can do on a road bike. Again the body needs to be trained in and adapt to the position you race in.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    thanks for the info, i will start to put some structure to my training.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...