Trainer of Rollers?

peterw47
peterw47 Posts: 24
Looking at getting a trainer so I can jump on it for a few hours after work without having to get kitted up to go outside. Just wondering what peoples opinions are between getting a turbo trainer and the roller type trainer?

There are a lot more turbo trainers available than rollers which would suggest they are a lot more popular but I've only just started on a road bike so thinking the rollers maybe better for me to get used to the bike more than just training my legs?

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    im no expert on this but i would think if your buying one of these products the place to start is a turbo. the versatility of workout types and intensity changeability would give it the edge imo. i think rollers are more leg speed/warm up/handling specific.

like i said im no expert and im quite happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge.

p.s. you can get a turbo a lot cheaper- as a beginner theres enough other things to squander your wedge on :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • elgordo
    elgordo Posts: 13
    I'm thinking of getting rollers too. Am I correct in thinking there is little resistance and no way to alter resistance with rollers?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Don't get either just now - assuming you live in northern hemisphere and not in lappland or similar - you will very soon be able to get out on your bike at weekends and in the longer daylight evenings - so save your money, buy a good rain jacket and some neoprene bootees and get out there !
    (I have a turbo - well used this winter - but I'd like to have the skill /`& balance to ride rollers. I think I'd suggest turbo for newbie cyclists as rollers could be a bit demoralising!)
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    elgordo wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking there is little resistance and no way to alter resistance with rollers?
    No, not correct. There are several models of rollers available with varible resistance.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • mickybhoy
    mickybhoy Posts: 19
    I agree with most of the comments on here :
    First, there's no substitute for getting out on the roads and riding there.
    Certainly a turbo, which stabilises the bike, is much easier to use, and therefore more suitable for beginners.

However, don't rule out a good set of rollers. Rollers help develop your pedal-stroke, making it more efficient and helping you perfect a full circle motion. I prefer them as they also bring into play your core muscles to help you stabilise and balance, especially at high cadence.
    They do take a while to get used to, though, so be patient with them but I firmly believe that if you can ride a bike, you can use rollers.

The choice is yours - neither are very cheap, but with the winters we seem to be getting now, it could be a worthwhile investment for future winter workouts.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...rollers worked for me.. I wanted something to get me up to speed through the winter and to improve my balance and pedalling technique, not so interested in power workouts etc., so lack of resistance was not an issue (having said that, I got a good sweat going just using the high gears)....they were a bit scary at first but after a few weeks of regular use, I felt much more comfortable. They're also great for trying out adjustments you've made to the bike...

My chum is equally happy with his turbo trainer, though he has been able to permanently mount his old bike to it to avoid the faff of changing back wheels etc...

...must admit I've not been on them for 6 weeks or so now as the weather has improved...maybe some bargains out there as folks off-load their old gear??
  • peterw47
    Thanks guys great help... I can understand the attraction of a turbo when it's crap outside but as said it's a lot easier to get out this time of year and through the summer of course.

I still like the idea of using rollers at home though to tune my balance and get a full body workout rather than just spinning on a fixed trainer. It must be a lot harder to keep yourself centred on a 30cm (ish?) roller rather than being out on a wide road where you can end up weaving all over the place I guess.

Wiggle have a got a sale on at the moment too... CycleOps Aluminium Rollers at £141 or £191 with the resistance unit... I might go for one of the those :-D
  • I think it depends what you intend to use them for. In my experience rollers are great for all the reasons people have mentioned. I have used them extensively for long endurance sessions this winter when I have been unable to get outside. However, they are less useful, in my experience, for hard interval sessions for several reasons. Firstly, you may not be able to obtain sufficient resistance to reach the power levels you are trying to target. Secondly, when doing intensive intervals I like to focus purely on the effort required, rather than balancing the bike. Overall, if I had the option of only buying one product, it would be a turbo as IMHO it is more versatile.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I have both. I have resistance rollers (elite emotion), and don't find the level of resistance to be more limiting than the turbo (tacx flow). I alternate depending on my mood. The turbo has the advantage that you only need to concentrate on hurting yourself and it has power output. But sometimes handling of the bike is a welcome distraction and does feel more real (though certainly not the same as being on the road)
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    peterw47 wrote:
    Wiggle have a got a sale on at the moment too... CycleOps Aluminium Rollers at £191 with the resistance unit...
    You have your answer... :wink:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • ga02clr
    ga02clr Posts: 97
    I have both.
    Personally I find the rollers suit me much better during the winter for long base sessions and as you have to engage a tiny bit of your brain to remain stable helps prevent boredom which I find sets in very quick on the turbo.
    As stated it depends what you want to get out of the session. If it’s just general fitness and laying in base fitness over the winter then I would get rollers. If you after interval power sessions and working on top line speed then turbo is probably the way to go.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I think it depends what you intend to use them for. In my experience rollers are great for all the reasons people have mentioned. I have used them extensively for long endurance sessions this winter when I have been unable to get outside. However, they are less useful, in my experience, for hard interval sessions for several reasons. Firstly, you may not be able to obtain sufficient resistance to reach the power levels you are trying to target. Secondly, when doing intensive intervals I like to focus purely on the effort required, rather than balancing the bike. Overall, if I had the option of only buying one product, it would be a turbo as IMHO it is more versatile.

+1. Even if my el cheapo rollers had sufficient resistance, I don't think I'd use them to do anything harder than sweetspot sessions; I reckon I'd lose concentration and fall off.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Personal preference is a turbo trainer for actual training, because of the variable resistance and the fact that you don't need to balance. And it cost £89. For a more enjoyable indoor recovery spin that feels more like an actual bike ride, I'd have chosen rollers. At £140 I couldn't afford a set at the time.

Turbos feel horrible to ride in comparison, with the bike being locked into position. The side to side movement on rollers is nice, and it helps train you to ride more smoothly and more stably.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • FCatC
    FCatC Posts: 20
    Also if choosing a turbo make sure you also use an old frame which you don't want to ride on the road. As the frame is fixed in position and your body will inevitably move no matter how good your pedalling technique is this creates greater stress than normal where tubes join. For example where the top tube meets the seat and head tube. Therefore better not to use carbon as there is less flex and the turbo could ruin the integrity of the frame and could over time cause cracks.
  • peterw47
    Just placed an order for the CycleOps rollers with resistance module :D

I am considering getting a cheap trainer from eBay too though :P