Tour of Lombardy *spoiler*

1235»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Great quotes from Kelly. Interesting he sees Paris Roubaix in Gilbert's future. I thought Flanders was very much possible - wasn't so sure about him being a big favourite for Roubaix but certainly interesting to see.

A season long Cancellera - Gilbert fight for the classics would be great - with the likes of Boonen, EBH, Hushovd etc in there too. Can you imagine Flanders and Roubaix coming down to a small group of those riders, maybe one or two others, I can hardly wait.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,790
    Great quotes from Kelly. Interesting he sees Paris Roubaix in Gilbert's future. I thought Flanders was very much possible - wasn't so sure about him being a big favourite for Roubaix but certainly interesting to see.

A season long Cancellera - Gilbert fight for the classics would be great - with the likes of Boonen, EBH, Hushovd etc in there too. Can you imagine Flanders and Roubaix coming down to a small group of those riders, maybe one or two others, I can hardly wait.

EBH?

No.

Not for a while.
  • Tom Butcher
    Yes probably a bit early for him - Flecha still a better bet.

You get the idea though - seems to me we are starting to get some real potential rivalries going between established classics riders with a number of wins under their belt - maybe more so than in recent years.

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Flecha and EBH has the potential for a great double act for Sky in a race like PR. Flecha to try and get away on his own and EBH to save his energy and go for it if it comes to a sprint from a small group. Although he's not as fast as Cav or Farrar he'd have a very chance against the likes of Hushovd and Boonen. His spring season was ruined by injury this year but he rode well at Vattenfall and the two Canadian Pro Tour races and in 09 won GW and was 4th at Eroica.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tom Butcher
    Does he struggle over 200k though ? The big Sean Kelly test for a true classics rider.

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Does he struggle over 200k though ? The big Sean Kelly test for a true classics rider.

I think that's still a bit of an unknown due to the fact that he was ill or injured for the spring classics this year and in 08 and 09 was too young to be realistically challenging over 200km +. 2010 will be a big year for him, hopefully a breakthrough year in the big races. I like him as a rider, though he doesn't seem to have a very inspiring personality but that could just be shyness.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • The test for EBH was in stages over 200km in stage races, and unfortunately he failed most of the time. A common theme for him was the shorter the stage the higher he would finish
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

do not see anyone that can resist him on the Muur van Geraardbsbergen or the Bosberg - not Boonen, not even Cancellara."

"On Saturday, he reminded me a bit of Merckx, :shock:

That Cancellara guy what he would know about climbing the Muur anyway !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest