What did Cav Say ?

13»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Didn't HTC offer to put him up in a decent hotel in Dehli? Hardly abuse....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    iainf72 wrote:

Of course they would. Protecting their own interests rather than Cav's I suspect.

Cav comes down with some illness doesn't get off to a great start next season. Not as many wins for HTC and Bob is looking to attract new sponsors. Without a HTC coming over that line first and parading off his shirt it doesn't look as attractive to a potential sponsor. No Griepel as backup either now. Goss? Maybe.

My cynical view on this of course.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    iainf72 wrote:

They're just looking after their asset though - they don't want a repeat of last winter. I wonder if they offered the same to Roulston?

Anyway, he turned them down and went to sleep with the stray dogs like everyone else, so good on him.

This whole thing is just him wanting a new improved contract now, especially in a good negotiating position, rather than 12 months time. I can't blame him for that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Think it's very feasible that Sky could manage to keep both Cav & Wiggo happy.

Maybe they ought to get one part right before they try and do both!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mroli wrote:
    Also - from the cycling news article:

"We’re in India,” said Cavendish. “It’s not a Western country. “I think it's quite ignorant to assume we were going to going to be in a Western-style country. I've been to India before on holiday - I knew what it was going to be like."

“I think it's ignorant not to respect the way those countries are, it's how it is. The reason India's got the Commonwealth Games is because it's a developing country, so you can't expect it to be like going to Hong Kong or something"

+ lots Cavendish. + lots.

Glad someone brough this up. Plenty on here quick to jump on Cav's perceived negativity but they fail to mention all the good stuff he says.

Thought he did really well at the Commonwealths trying to hang on to the various breakaways, he just couldn't manage it in the end.

Think Sky would be different from HTC but he's shown this year that he doesn't always need a leadout train to bring him to the line. Think it's very feasible that Sky could manage to keep both Cav & Wiggo happy.

Agree - another reason to like him. he has not succumbed to the OMG it is not England cr*p.....a billion people manage to live and thrive there listening / reading to many opinions being spouted you would assume India was some kind of post-apocalyptic waste land.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Think it's very feasible that Sky could manage to keep both Cav & Wiggo happy.

Maybe they ought to get one part right before they try and do both!

I'd say that Wiggins owed Sky more than they owed him. He's been poor after all the hype. IMO :)
  • This is just contract negotiations more than likely but it's also an interesting one from HTC.

For the last few years majority of the team have been built around cav while retaining a little of the individual ambitions. But now you have a couple within the team that you could probably aim for harder prizes with a bigger pay off but it might require hurting that lead out train.

Tony Martin I can't see working every tour as the man who pulls back the breaks with Eisel and sets up the train from 3k if he wants to focus on GC. You have eisel who surely wants to concentrate on classics in the coming seasons. And now with Goss, Renshaw and Velits brothers you have a few riders who can target some stage wins. This is forgetting about the other talent in there.

For me HTC have such a good roster maybe Bob is willing to let go of cav to focus the team around new targets? Then again a good number of stage wins per year from the Cav machine is probably worth his contract 10 times over in sponsorship etc.

I don't think there is a problem at HTC but I also don't believe Cav would have a problem at Sky, they have world champs and olympic team pursuit in there and have just added Dowsett to compliment an already strong lead out train that just need a good premier sprinter to finish off the work. The problem with Sky I think is that you would need a strong 5 man minimum to control the peloton and pull back breaks in the tour for Cav and that limits support to anyone on GC who needs a real helping hand i.e. Wiggins. You would also hope wiggins would help in that lead out, something he commented on not wanting a few years back.

Personally I don't think Cav is going anywhere, and when or if he does then you can be sure he will take the coaches or riders he needs to deliver the results he wants.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Agree - another reason to like him. he has not succumbed to the OMG it is not England cr*p.....a billion people manage to live and thrive there listening / reading to many opinions being spouted you would assume India was some kind of post-apocalyptic waste land.

Judging by the number of people watching the race, I did start to wonder... it reminded me of this:

28dayslateremptystreets.jpg
  • More from Cav...
    "I went so deep and gave everything I could and although I let them down with the result and I couldn't have done anymore," said Cavendish, who finished seventh.

"The Isle of Man mixed it with the big boys. I had five amateurs with me and they rode like my professional team.

"I was so proud of those guys, they did everything for me and we got beaten by stronger nations."

Cavendish also lauded David Millar's efforts after the Scot took bronze behind winner Allan Davis, and tipped him for gold in Wednesday's time trial.

"David was incredibly strong and I'm positive he'll win the time trial on Wednesday," added Cavendish.

"I'm just sorry that I didn't have the legs to stay with him."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10102010/ ... mates.html
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Hasn't Wiggins been involved with the leadouts with almost every racve he has taken part in?

Difference with cav being at the end of the train might mean they get one over the line afew more times.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    sherer wrote:

. Even though Wiggins is crap .
    I fail to see how you come to that conclusion??
    so many cols,so little time!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Open your eyes, it might help.
  • RichN95.

I've opened my eyes and seen a man who has come fourth in the Tour de France and won three Olympic Gold medals (six medals in total - only Redgrave can match six, post-war), World Champion many times, in three different events.

Pray tell us how that is 'crap'.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

What Rich is saying above is your views are that of an arsehole. I'd like to be more specific but you're supposed to critique the post rather than the person :)
  • RichN95.
    dougzz wrote:
    What Rich is saying above is your views are that of an arsehole. I'd like to be more specific but you're supposed to critique the post rather than the person :)

An apt adjunct, sir. girly20.gif
  • RichN95.
    Anyway, getting back to Cav and his future with HTC

HTC need a new secondary sponsor (Specialized rumoured)

Specialized need a new superstar poster boy (after Andy & Fabian have left and Bertie is due a long holiday)

Cav wants more money.

I think this can be worked out everyone's satisfaction, don't you.
  • iainf72
    He's been talking about it some more

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6043/ ... onsor.aspx

The question is why do they find it so difficult to get sponsors on board? Or is Cuddly Bob just fussy?
  • TMR
    edited October 2010
    RichN95 wrote:
    I've opened my eyes and seen a man who has come fourth in the Tour de France and won three Olympic Gold medals (six medals in total - only Redgrave can match six, post-war), World Champion many times, in three different events.

Pray tell us how that is 'crap'.

Because Olympic track medals mean nothing in the context of Pro Road Cycling. You're only as good as your last race, and a 4th Place in the 2009 TdF and nothing of worth since = complete failure to achieve.

You disagree?
  • TMR
    dougzz wrote:

Good try fella :)
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cav wants more money.

How much does he get now? Does anyone know?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Not a clue, but long before this, it was known that he was being under-paid.

Still enough to afford a flash Audi, of course, but not as much as his sprinter peers.

I think I read a while back that he was being paid less that McEwan was getting at Katusha.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Often the way. Not sure quite how this would work in cycling, but I do remember the Chicago Bulls paid Michael Jordan a fraction of his true worth, he made so much from commercial endorsements he could afford it, and it left the team a much bigger budget to sign the supporting cast. Whether this has been a factor for Cav, or whether he simply signed a contract when he was in a weaker negotiating position who knows. I know he's quick to praise his team mates, but Highroad have been pretty much dancing to his tune, he's unlikely to get such total support elsewhere, although I suspect more money may be on offer elsewhere.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Before he signed the contract with Cuddly Bob a couple of years back, he'd had offers of serious dough from Quick Step amongst others (who clearly thought he could co-habitate with Boonen, or else weren't sure at the time if Boonen was looking at a lengthy ban for his coke habit).

So, he turned them down for a team that suited him better. This time, he's just posturing, I'd guess. And I too doubt he would move without Renshaw, and, IIRC, Stapleton was canny enough to get Renshaw to sign a two year contract this year.
  • iainf72
    This was discussed a bit in the new Cyclingnews podcast. Something I'd not thought of was that Cav's outburst might make it harder for Stapleton to get a sponsor on board. If you were a big company wanting to put some money in, but the star attraction on the team is making noises about leaving, would you invest?

I know Spesh are on board now but that's not the level of investment that they need.