What did Cav Say ?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    wicked wrote:
    Er no didn't.
    Seem to remember cav gushing howfantastic it was kirchen was helping in his lead out train and he never said he hoped the guy who did not do his job was sacked at all. He said it was a serious clanger that could have got got him the sack.
    If I were in his position and someone was payed to do a particular task like check the run to the finish which he failed to do and that resulted in a defeat for me I would make sure he got the sack!

Why feel the need to mention it on telly at all? Especially since the interview was recorded 6 months after the fact! It just proves what a lot of people have already mentioned on other occasions - whenever he wins, it's because he's brilliant, and whenever he loses, it's always someone elses fault.

He also praises his team when he wins, so I find it hard to believe that he doesn't criticise them when he loses. We've all seen the footage of him having tantrums and chucking his helmet about - would you fancy being his team-mate when he's like that?

And yes I know that is the mindset of a sprinter and partly what makes him so good. I admire him as an athlete, I just find him insufferable whenever he opens his mouth. (I'm sure he gives a sh*t too.)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Here we are discussing Cav and Bob and HTC. I wouldn't be surpised if they concocted the whole thing just to keep themselves in the news.

Even if Gilbert wins tomorrow, riding a unicycle and juggling chainsaws, he won't get many more column inches that this latest "outburst"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LangerDan wrote:
    Here we are discussing Cav and Bob and HTC. I wouldn't be surpised if they concocted the whole thing just to keep themselves in the news.

Even if Gilbert wins tomorrow, riding a unicycle and juggling chainsaws, he won't get many more column inches that this latest "outburst"

You could be right....but this message board would be awfully dull without stories like this!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I think MC is brilliant :)

He's an amazing sprinter, and I love his grumpy attitude as well. I hope he stays at HTC, but if not, then I hope he takes Renshaw with him.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    Oh dear, Cav's upset the internet forum people again!

you patronzing person :roll:
  • You would have thought it a priority to get him signed up...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    spinndrift wrote:
    He'd be mental if he even considered Sky no matter what the package was.

Sky have had some great lead outs this season without a good enough sprinter to finish them off.

Cav would give them the wins they crave.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    well they have got over a season to wait and next season hasn't even started so maybe this is just Cav giving a very unsubtle hint he wants a new contract.

Either that or another case of not thinking before he speaks :D
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    spinndrift wrote:

Why? Can you imagine how good Sky's lead out train would be? Two gold medal winning pursuit riders, EBH and the others taking him into the last few km.
  • finchy
    afx237vi wrote:
    He also praises his team when he wins, so I find it hard to believe that he doesn't criticise them when he loses. We've all seen the footage of him having tantrums and chucking his helmet about - would you fancy being his team-mate when he's like that?

Well, with the cyclist's tradition of sharing out the prize money, and with Cav taking the quantity and quality of wins, I reckon I'd probably be able to put up with that.

2009 must have been a pretty damn good year for the bank accounts of his team-mates.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    iainf72 wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:

To be honest sounds like a lot of posturing pre contract negotiation - as Greipel has gone he holds the cards, unless HTC are fed up of his antics.

And that, young Mark, is why Stapleton is a billionaire :wink:

And why Cav will get a sweet deal(or go to sky)
    Either way he'll be made for life :wink:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    johnfinch wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

Why? Can you imagine how good Sky's lead out train would be? Two gold medal winning pursuit riders, EBH and the others taking him into the last few km.

You mean "gold medal winning pursuit riders", one of whom moved to Garmin to avoid having to spend his career leading Cav out. And I guess EBH hasn't signed up for that particular role either

The Wiggins interview in the current ProCyling doesn't exactly paint Team Sky in glowing colours. Cav is far better where he is and he knows it - this is just posturing.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • finchy
    LangerDan wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

You mean "gold medal winning pursuit riders", one of whom moved to Garmin to avoid having to spend his career leading Cav out. And I guess EBH hasn't signed up for that particular role either

The Wiggins interview in the current ProCyling doesn't exactly paint Team Sky in glowing colours. Cav is far better where he is and he knows it - this is just posturing.

I agree that Cav is probably better off at HTC.

If he went to Sky, it's Brailsford's job to keep the riders happy. Cav for Milan-San Remo, Giro and TdF stage wins and Paris-Tours. EBH for the northern classics and Wiggins for TT wins. There you go, all sorted. :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

Sky have had some great lead outs this season without a good enough sprinter to finish them off.

Has there ever been a sprinter good enough to finish off where the Sky lead out train normally ends - about 2-3 k from the finish.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

Has there ever been a sprinter good enough to finish off where the Sky lead out train normally ends - about 2-3 k from the finish.

ouch!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

Err I saw plenty of time Sky taking Boasson Hagen to finish.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Tom Butcher - you've been watching different races from me... Sky have been fantastic from that distance out until about 5-600m to go. Great to that point (and not surprising with their riders), but not only have they been lacking a Cav, but they've also been lacking a Goss/Renshaw....

If Cav went to Sky, he'd have a team that would work and make sure he was in the mix at the end - and he would work his own finishes out, but as others have said - destroys Sky's ideas of having a GT contender (British at that!) and would put other noses out of joint.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Also - from the cycling news article:

"We’re in India,” said Cavendish. “It’s not a Western country. “I think it's quite ignorant to assume we were going to going to be in a Western-style country. I've been to India before on holiday - I knew what it was going to be like."

“I think it's ignorant not to respect the way those countries are, it's how it is. The reason India's got the Commonwealth Games is because it's a developing country, so you can't expect it to be like going to Hong Kong or something"

+ lots Cavendish. + lots.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    spinndrift wrote:

+1 Sky have had a dubious lead out at times. Looking strong in the last few kms and then non-existent with 1km to go.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    IF Cav went to Sky I would imagine he would take Renshaw with him
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    sherer wrote:
    IF Cav went to Sky I would imagine he would take Renshaw with him

I'd support SKY then instead of HTC. Even though Wiggins is crap and needs a haircut.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    mroli wrote:
    Tom Butcher - you've been watching different races from me... Sky have been fantastic from that distance out until about 5-600m to go. Great to that point (and not surprising with their riders), but not only have they been lacking a Cav, but they've also been lacking a Goss/Renshaw....

If Cav went to Sky, he'd have a team that would work and make sure he was in the mix at the end - and he would work his own finishes out, but as others have said - destroys Sky's ideas of having a GT contender (British at that!) and would put other noses out of joint.

One thing I haven't seen commented on is that HTC-Columbia managed to finish a rider on the GC podium of the Vuelta and get Cav the points jersey at the same time.

OK, it's the Vuelta not the Tour, but it shows it can be done.

There's also the Telekom example with Zabel and Riis/Ullrich but that's perhaps not the best precedent....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    mroli wrote:

"We’re in India,” said Cavendish. “It’s not a Western country. “I think it's quite ignorant to assume we were going to going to be in a Western-style country. I've been to India before on holiday - I knew what it was going to be like."

“I think it's ignorant not to respect the way those countries are, it's how it is. The reason India's got the Commonwealth Games is because it's a developing country, so you can't expect it to be like going to Hong Kong or something"

Aye, but he had similar ideas about Paraguayan dentistry :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,057
    All this talk about having a great leadout is silly.

Unless your sprinter is the best or 2nd best (or at least, very very close to the best) in the peleton, then you shouldn't need a train.

Anyway, the young blood sprinters in sky could do with learning a thing or to about how to do a proper sprint without a train.

Cavendish started out at Tmobile and Columbia doing that and he's a better sprinter for it.

You earn them. A train doesn't bridge the quality gap - it just gives your rival team an easier ride.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,057
    DaveyL wrote:
    mroli wrote:

One thing I haven't seen commented on is that HTC-Columbia managed to finish a rider on the GC podium of the Vuelta and get Cav the points jersey at the same time.

OK, it's the Vuelta not the Tour, but it shows it can be done.

There's also the Telekom example with Zabel and Riis/Ullrich but that's perhaps not the best precedent....
    Rabobank attempt it regularly. Or will untill Oscar throws in the towel.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    mroli wrote:

Did you see any of the Tour of Britain? GT and Wiggins were lying upto 3k out, after that there was nothing. Henderson had to try and finish things off from there, with Vacansoleil having a couple of riders who had an easy ride of the back of Sky's run in.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary. Bob is waiting for a new Sponsor to come on board and then will then be in a better position to deal with new contracts.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Oh dear, Cav's rattled a lot of cages. This is a bit like a certain regular poster's man crush on Bertie in reverse ;)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    EBH, Wiggo, Kirchen, Lovqvist, Henderson all left HTC-Columbia because they didn't want to spend the best years of their professional lives in a lead-out train. Bringing in Cav to Sky would upset the dynamic of the team massively.

In any event, Cav's just playing the game...
  • mroli wrote:

Glad someone brough this up. Plenty on here quick to jump on Cav's perceived negativity but they fail to mention all the good stuff he says.

Thought he did really well at the Commonwealths trying to hang on to the various breakaways, he just couldn't manage it in the end.

Think Sky would be different from HTC but he's shown this year that he doesn't always need a leadout train to bring him to the line. Think it's very feasible that Sky could manage to keep both Cav & Wiggo happy.