Turbos: fluid vs mag (vs gym bikes?)

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Hi guys,

This must have been discussed many times here, apologies if so, and so here it is.

Appreciate if anyone can share the pros and cons of fluid and mag trainers. The aspects of interest are naturally the noise and the need to adjust the power setting.

Currently thinking of CycleOps Fluid2, however never tried fluid before, not sure how good is the "natural resistance" allegedly offered by the trainer.

Any nice add-ons like computer connection that I should be bearing in mind?

And in general, what do people think of turbos vs spinning classes offered by most gyms?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've ditched my (good) mag trainer for a cycleops jet fluid pro, much more natural, good resistance curve (power at a given speed for a given power output is very similar to the road. A little bit noisier but not by much... Great stuff!

As for everything else, have a read of this thread...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 84&start=0
  • Thanks, forgot to ask about rim drive vs tyre-driven trainers...

For instance, how long does one need to spend on a bike to completely wear the normal road tyre?
  • Anonymous
    Definitely tyre!!

Rim (which are very uncommon now because they are bobbins) ones wear the, er, rim, which is far more expensive to replace than a cheap tyre!

A normal cheap road tyre will last me all winter for both turbo and road.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have the CycleOps Fluid II... It is an excellent trainer, and I wont be looking for another until it's knackered. :lol:
    I'd go for a turbo, over a spinning class, or gym bike.
    Because of my work, I spend 6 months of the year training on a gym bike... Not very interesting...
    Spinning clases are dependent on the coach for a good stimulating session, but you can plan your turbo session, music/DVD fan placement, etc, making the turbo best IMHO.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    i have the cyclops pro fluid 2 and its great very smooth,ive had magnetic before but the fluid is the one for me
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Thanks all, got myself a fluid 2 as well... Hope doesnt leak as the rad gets really warm.
  • Would the cycle ops Jet Fluid Pro be suitable enough to replicate hills?

I have purchased one, but I also have a Tacx sirus softgel which is magnetic so has the optional resistance.

Basically, should I hang on to this for when I want to simulate hills, or will the Jet fluid pro be enough to simulate hills?
  • as an aside, where does everyone do there turboing?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    as an aside, where does everyone do there turboing?
    My house has a cellar, which is nice and cold. I painted the walls white so it's not quite so grim. It still has the feel of a dungeon though.
  • The Garage.

Single strip light, brick walls, weights, stand for the water etc and fan.

Anyone looking in would think its made for torture :twisted:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    There was a topic thread last year on Turbo Dungeons in here, if you search.
    I use my living room. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    birdy247 wrote:
    Would the cycle ops Jet Fluid Pro be suitable enough to replicate hills?

I have purchased one, but I also have a Tacx sirus softgel which is magnetic so has the optional resistance.

Basically, should I hang on to this for when I want to simulate hills, or will the Jet fluid pro be enough to simulate hills?

The Jet Fluid Pro is fine for replicating hills. Whack it in a big gear, shove some books or whatever under your front wheel and away you go!