ner ner, missed the rain! :p

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, around London anyway.

I give thanks to the fast guy on the hybrid near Tooley St/London Bridge. In my poor efforts to keep up with you I just managed to scrape into the office before the downpour.

Huzzah!

Comments

• rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    Me too. 8)

Be careful. Take it steady. The roads might be a bit greasy.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Meh! We got it in South Wales... :(

Roads are very greasy - I managed to wheelspin away from a standing start.
  • ktaylor
    ktaylor Posts: 58
    Got caught with a mile to go. Everyone in the office just thought I had a particularly sweaty ride in. Nice.
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    :evil: caught all of it - started 10 minutes after I left the house, finished 5 mins before the office - just going to get some socks from tesco now *humph*
  • Rodmc
    Rodmc Posts: 42
    Oddly while I got rained on I wasn't that wet. Obviously due to the speed I was moving at I bypassed the water droplets :wink:
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    myself & Mrs greggyr missed the lot !! We arrived at St Pauls at 7.03. I didn't know that rain was forecast ...
  • zrazzle
    zrazzle Posts: 79
    started 5 mins into my journey. no waterproofs, no spare socks, shoes soaking, nowhere to buy socks - bare feet in the office style today!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Left home at 6, arrived at work at 7, started raining at 7.10. I'm not usually lucky!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Passed over here at 4:45 - woke me up. I didn't know we'd had a Thunderstorm until I got into the office and one of the other guys who lives locally told me. :shock:

Best thing was: I got a tailwind for the first time in AGES for a morning commute! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Lovely ride into work in the rain. Dunno wot all the fuss is abaht :lol:

Nich, you'll get yours :P
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Enjoyed riding in the rain, but didn't enjoy the reduced braking. Was following a guy on tribars up Fulham Palace Road, reeling him in despite his attempts to breakaway when he suddenly stops and indicates that a car wanting to turn right across our lane can do. Because of the stationary traffic in the right lane (we are in the bus lane) I can't see the turning car. I really wish cyclists wouldn't do this; fine, feel free to stop so the car can turn, but don't tell them it's safe and check behind you that it is first.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    twas a lovely ride in with the rain. most refreshing.
    and my lettuce got watered without any effort from me this morning :)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Started off half an hour later than usual and caught all of it. Hanging my socks under the desk to dry as I speak!

There was a strange scummy substance being washed up by the rainwater all over the roads. Anyone know what it was?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited June 2010
    kelsen wrote:
    There was a strange scummy substance being washed up by the rainwater all over the roads. Anyone know what it was?

Are you talking to me?

Someday a real rain is gonna come and wash all the scum from the streets.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    It started just as i stepped out of the house and got heavier from there. Lovely warm summer rain. One hour of great riding. :D
    Riding on 531
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    kelsen wrote:

There was lots of sort of soapy suds on my ride in - both out in Herts and in Barnet - wondered if it was splatterings of people's screenwash or the dregs of people's soap from washing their cars in driveways being washed out onto the road?
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I asked exactly that question elsewhere, and the best suggestion so far was that it was natural saponins from tree debris on the road. May or may not be true, but I can't see that there would be that much screenwash sitting on the road over the course of a 19km ride.
    Riding on 531
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Day off, result, just lied in bed listening to the rain and smelling that funny 'summer rain' smell. Ahhh and relax. :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    got hammered on initially and decided to take the quick route in once it stopped I was dry very quickly

What the hell was that grim white foam stuff??
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Passed over here at 4:45 - woke me up. I didn't know we'd had a Thunderstorm until I got into the office and one of the other guys who lives locally told me. :shock:

Best thing was: I got a tailwind for the first time in AGES for a morning commute! :D

I didn't know we had a thunderstorm either, in fact I had my nana for breakfast at 5:50 on the bench in our back garden and it was dry.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    richred_uk wrote:
    :evil: caught all of it - started 10 minutes after I left the house, finished 5 mins before the office - just going to get some socks from tesco now *humph*

I decided it was easier to carry a complete set of riding clothing (except shoes) for the return journey than it was to carry/wear waterproofs.

Warming and drying up nicely here. Wind's picked up though, so a headwind on the way home again... :cry:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yeah, that was weird, it really did look like soap suds. :S

I rode right through it in my bibshorts and jersey. Turns out I'm waterproof! :D
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i got caught walking to work, looked like a drowned rat. hat to dry my clothes under the hand dryer. Me fleece is still ringing.
  • frankieh
    frankieh Posts: 85
    Foam on the A21 was from big motorway cleaning trucks with massive rotating brushes. I didn't know what it was until I went past one in Lewisham.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221

I rode right through it in my bibshorts and jersey. Turns out I'm waterproof! :D

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Worth a try...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It started just before I left and finished just after I arrived. Baah. Actually I don't mind riding in the rain except the bike gets mucky and I have to put wet clothes back on at the end of the day for the journey home and my bike shoes end up wet and smelly for a couple of days til they dry.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Put my lightweight jacket on this morning , thought i was being clever but think I ended up wetter than if I had not worn it. Note to self; just because I have it does not mean I have to use it. At least he Pace got a run out as the Scott stayed snuggled up in the dry.

The white foamy stuff was all over my skylight this morning so that suggests it came down with the rain?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Clever Pun wrote:
    What the hell was that grim white foam stuff??
    I think it's the first rain in quite a while, and thus loads of crap gets on the road, and now it bubbles :)

For me... i got up, looked out the window = fine.
    went outside = fine
    got the bike out = light drissel started
    got on the bike = rain gets heavier
    a mile down the road = it's pissing down and i'm soaked through already, no point going back for waterproofs, so continued for 14miles.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,718
    Was wee-ing down when I was about to set off, so held off for a bit until it eased. Same soapy stuff down my way as well, as well as the mother of all traffic jams coming through Mitcham up to Tooting - never understand why the rain has this effect.

The manholes seemed to be particularly slippery today - heading down to QTR from North Road, I misjudged my line and caught the rim of one, which popped me sideways a couple of inches. Not much fun at 20+. Neither was the goon on Balham High Road, who swung out without looking causing some fishtailing from me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    rjsterry wrote:
    Was wee-ing down when I was about to set off, so held off for a bit until it eased. Same soapy stuff down my way as well, as well as the mother of all traffic jams coming through Mitcham up to Tooting - never understand why the rain has this effect.

The manholes seemed to be particularly slippery today - heading down to QTR from North Road, I misjudged my line and caught the rim of one, which popped me sideways a couple of inches. Not much fun at 20+. Neither was the goon on Balham High Road, who swung out without looking causing some fishtailing from me.

Really didn't notice the foam, but I was more focused on the traffic, I get a bit nervous when I know my brakes aren't as effective because of rain! Traffic out my way didn't seem much worse than usual and I was surprised that there were still quite a few cyclists out - expected all the patr timers to chicken out and get the Tube/bus
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.