Coach, or not?...

13»

Comments

• rvokes
    rvokes Posts: 36
    ok guys, this seems to have got slightly off topic,
    i can sit in a bunch nicely at 130-140 bpm, and its easier than my local gruppeto ride, by the same token, iits easy to ride full tilt up a hill, but when you race as someone else pointed out,(Napd) you get the racing speed, and the 'refresher' bike skills. (plus i have to put a number on my back for the sponsor/team etc, is some races)

I pay my coach to give me the best training for ME, not for someone else, if he tells me not to start going into the red at this time of year, since he knows more than i do, and i trust him, i'll follow his advice. 6 months ago i fractured 2 vertabrae and a bunch of ribs, and, thanks to his training plans/advice i still managed to salvage some of the season....

so to recap, IMO its well worth a coach, getting the right guy/gal isnt easy, and you have to trust them even if they tell you smthg that seems a little odd (yes, there are races id like to contest, but its not always the case... and we don't always get what we want in life)
  • I dont get it.

what is 'wrong' with going into the anaerobic threshold zone?

what happens when you are suddenly 'allowed' to do it after months without it? you will frickin die IMO! use it or lose it!

i use a HRM and it is poor for this kind of thing. if you can pay for coaching then why not use a PM too? this will be more accurate will it not??
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Your own ability to research training topics will get you a long way (especially with the internet). I think coaching is a great idea if you can find someone who doesn't just regurgitate Hunter Allen's ideas on how you should train with a powermeter. I think people get a bit too finicky with zones and critical power for x amount of time. They'd be better off simply riding more. The really good coaches are going to be the guys with real-world experience and even better those who have a background that starts to encroach into physiology and medical area (and no I am not talking about doping).
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have found having a coach is better for me, it means I actually do the training rather than find excuses not too, and this winter the weather has meant that is rather easy to do. I am not one to shirk training anyhow, but I doubt I would have done some of the rides this winter if I trained myself again this year.

It also means I focus on particular races, and peak for those, rather than just aimlessly racing all year round, and losing form in the process.

A coach can really provide structure to your training, with the aim of peaking for specific goals, some races will just happening to be part of a training week, with very little rest, others will be ones you are rested for. Unless you know what is 100% the best for yourself, a coaches experience, will no doubt help you no end.

With regards to the above question and the guy not going over 172 bpm, I can understand what his coach is saying, he wants him to training at a max zone, and the result of the race is not that important, the important races are later in the year, and he is probably steadily building up the fitness, and doesn't want the guy to peak too early. Racing at elite level is a whole different ballgame to racing at a Cat3/4 level. Going into the red regularly might have a detrimental effect on the training loads that follow the race, unless you know the whole picture, you have no idea if it is OK to go over a certain level. If it screws up subsequent training, it was a pointless exercise.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    SBezza wrote:
    I have found having a coach is better for me, it means I actually do the training rather than find excuses not too, and this winter the weather has meant that is rather easy to do. I am not one to shirk training anyhow, but I doubt I would have done some of the rides this winter if I trained myself again this year.

It also means I focus on particular races, and peak for those, rather than just aimlessly racing all year round, and losing form in the process.

A coach can really provide structure to your training, with the aim of peaking for specific goals, some races will just happening to be part of a training week, with very little rest, others will be ones you are rested for. Unless you know what is 100% the best for yourself, a coaches experience, will no doubt help you no end.

With regards to the above question and the guy not going over 172 bpm, I can understand what his coach is saying, he wants him to training at a max zone, and the result of the race is not that important, the important races are later in the year, and he is probably steadily building up the fitness, and doesn't want the guy to peak too early. Racing at elite level is a whole different ballgame to racing at a Cat3/4 level. Going into the red regularly might have a detrimental effect on the training loads that follow the race, unless you know the whole picture, you have no idea if it is OK to go over a certain level. If it screws up subsequent training, it was a pointless exercise

+1 to that its like the blind man touching an elaphant... he grabs hold of the trunk and proclames that an elaphant is shaped like a snake. if you dont have teh whole picture then you no idea of what realy going on.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Thanks to those of you who've shared experience.
    It is obviously a little late for sorting out a good coach at this time, but I am still pursuing it and discussing options...
    Keep the advice & tips coming though. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    It is obviously a little late for sorting out a good coach at this time, but I am still pursuing it and discussing options...
    Why is it too late?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    hopper1 wrote:
    Why is it too late?

I'd imagine that most of those 'worth their salt' would be busying themselves now, planning peoples seasons... I know some are...
    Not too long to wait, though... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Why is it too late?

I'd imagine that most of those 'worth their salt' would be busying themselves now, planning peoples seasons... I know some are...
    Not too long to wait, though... :wink:
    :?:

For many, there is no "season", it never stops. Even then I'm not sure what that has to do with when to start with a coach.

I suppose it depends on whether you have a short or long term vision in mind when working with a coach. In any case, good wishes with your search. I highly recommend working with a good coach. I've been lucky to work with a couple myself (still do) and it made/makes a big difference to me. :)
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    I think if you can afford a coach go for it.
    But consider carefully who you hire.
    There will be some who are too rigid in their thinking and unwilling to embrace anything which doesn't seem to conform with science.
    The best, IMO, combine science, innovation, experience and plain old common sense.
    Happy hunting!