Body Weight Training

13»

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    And anything above 16 reps is a waste of time in my opinion unless you're doing some kind of physio rehab.
    I suggest you get underneath a barbell and complete a set of 20 rep squats. You may change your opinion. High rep lifting has a great tradition in strength training, especially for the lower body.
    been there done that - all i got was tired. Not stronger , bigger or better in any way. if I want to get that kind of tired I'd rather ride my bike..... but each to their own. Personal experience and that of other top level cyclists I have spoken to (inc. Emma Johannsson 2nd in peking) suggest that if you want to do weights heavy is good - teh heavier teh better. But each to thier own....as I said!
  • ut_och_cykla
    Low carb is not the same as no carb. Low carb has a fair amount of followers inc. jonas Colting who trains on low carb but competes Ironman etc on high carb. Of course you can cycle for 3 hours on a LCHP diet just as you can do everything else! How fast and how you feel is a matter of how well adapted your body is to your diet.
    Apples and minestrone soup would contain some levels of carbs. My point was that only protein shakes would not be a good idea - you would quickly become malnourished. :)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Low carb is not the same as no carb. Low carb has a fair amount of followers inc. jonas Colting who trains on low carb but competes Ironman etc on high carb. Of course you can cycle for 3 hours on a LCHP diet just as you can do everything else! How fast and how you feel is a matter of how well adapted your body is to your diet.
    Apples and minestrone soup would contain some levels of carbs. My point was that only protein shakes would not be a good idea - you would quickly become malnourished. :)

Can't you people read!? It was NEVER suggested that a NO carb diet could produce such results.

The assertion was that it is possible to maintain the energy needs of cycling on a high-protein LOW carb and reduced calorie diet. Furthermore, it was asserted that a high protein, regular calories diet CAN lead to muscle gain.

I never suggested that a straight diet of protein shakes would meet daily dietary and energy needs. :roll:
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Pokerface wrote:

That was a weight LOSS diet. It wasn't designed to maintain weight. Again - you're not reading my posts correctly. It IS possible to maintain high levels of exercise on a high-protein diet. If I had added even MORE protein (which adds extra calories) I would have been able to still train and NOT lose weight.

My weight TRAINING diet was similar, but with an additional 1000 calories of carbs to prevent weight loss.

Strange that you needed that amount of carbs to ensure you didn't lose weight when you said you could BULK on a diet of high protein, low carbs, etc..
    I think your definition of bulking is awry, that is all I'm saying.

Also, did you have no carbohydrate pre, during or after your three hour rides?
  • Pokerface
    jacster wrote:
    Also, did you have no carbohydrate pre, during or after your three hour rides?

No, no and no.

I was burning fat.
  • And anything above 16 reps is a waste of time in my opinion unless you're doing some kind of physio rehab.
    I suggest you get underneath a barbell and complete a set of 20 rep squats. You may change your opinion. High rep lifting has a great tradition in strength training, especially for the lower body.
    been there done that - all i got was tired. Not stronger , bigger or better in any way. if I want to get that kind of tired I'd rather ride my bike..... but each to their own. Personal experience and that of other top level cyclists I have spoken to (inc. Emma Johannsson 2nd in peking) suggest that if you want to do weights heavy is good - the heavier the better. But each to thier own....as I said!
    Fair play.

I've always found 20 rep squats to be a great test of strength and mental toughness, such as here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6W ... re=related

But, as you say, different things work for different people.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Pokerface wrote:

Prior to my biking days when I used to weight train, I did NOT eat an excessive amount of food and bulked up easily. Went from 170 to 225 pounds in under a year. Muscle, not fat. How? Mostly due to genetics. I can put muscle and bulk on easily. Always have been able to do so.

I thought pre-biking you were a junk food addict who sat on his sofa watching telly? I'm not surprised you bulked up easily! :wink:
  • Pokerface
    jacster wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Prior to my biking days when I used to weight train, I did NOT eat an excessive amount of food and bulked up easily. Went from 170 to 225 pounds in under a year. Muscle, not fat. How? Mostly due to genetics. I can put muscle and bulk on easily. Always have been able to do so.

I thought pre-biking you were a junk food addict who sat on his sofa watching telly? I'm not surprised you bulked up easily! :wink:

Now - my FAT phase was after the weight training days when I won a butt-load of money on a TV show. Then I got FAT. Then I got back into cycling.
  • Pokerface
    Edit: Actually I started get fat after I got married a few years ago. Then I got REALLY fat after the TV show. Funny how I got skinny again after getting divorced! :shock:
  • ut_och_cykla
    And anything above 16 reps is a waste of time in my opinion unless you're doing some kind of physio rehab.
    been there done that - all i got was tired. Not stronger , bigger or better in any way. if I want to get that kind of tired I'd rather ride my bike..... but each to their own. Personal experience and that of other top level cyclists I have spoken to (inc. Emma Johannsson 2nd in peking) suggest that if you want to do weights heavy is good - the heavier the better. But each to thier own....as I said!
    Fair play.

I've always found 20 rep squats to be a great test of strength and mental toughness, such as here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6W ... re=related

But, as you say, different things work for different people.

Nice video! Nice technique. Impressively Tough mentally - but not quite what i would call high rep training as the pauses between each squat get longer and longer, the movement is quick, using a bounce at the bottom and teh pauses long. But anyway - thanks for the link!
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Nice video! Nice technique. Impressively Tough mentally - but not quite what i would call high rep training as the pauses between each squat get longer and longer, the movement is quick, using a bounce at the bottom and teh pauses long. But anyway - thanks for the link!

The idea of "breathing squats", as they're also called, is that you pick a high weight (say your 10 rep maximum) which is too heavy to do 20 straight reps with. The only way to do all 20 reps with such a high weight is to pause in between. Tough as heck, but it works a treat.