Brand Loyallty

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pypdjl wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    So Sheeps was quite right when he said 'im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks' when some are not manufactured here. Only some are.

I'm sorry, that is a very charitable reading of that sentence.

nope, thats a complete translation of what i said.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Okay - then we should all be loyal to the brand TAIWAN... :wink:
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    Okay - then we should all be loyal to the brand TAIWAN... :wink:

ding ding ding, we have winner.

and why not would be my opinion, state of the art facilities which produce the best* frames in the world.

*best is quantified by quality and value in my opinion.
  • Anonymous
    pypdjl wrote:
    im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks.

Do you have any evidence for this? Only having been to the factory where they are made I find it hard to believe, unless it is all just a front and they are only pretending to manufacture bikes. Or you might be spreading baseless lies...?

earlier today i received an email from orange in response to a couple of questions, one of which was where would my bike have been made and the answer was that not only was the frame built in the far east, the entire bike was assembled in the far east. how british is the bike now?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The postman may have been british :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    haha, might have been. to be fair, im impressed with how quickly i got a response and i love the fact that they will paint and re badge the frame for 150 quid, just need to decide which colour i fancy now.........................
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    nope, thats a complete translation of what i said.

It's not a translation.

If all you were saying was that not all Oranges are made in the UK, it would have been easier to just say that, rather than what you did say, which is open to various other interpretations.
  • pypdjl... What you on?

Sheep, Orange aren't that british these days you are totalyl right but it is an image they do like to cultivate.
  • pypdjl
    Sheep, Orange aren't that british these days you are totalyl right but it is an image they do like to cultivate.

Imagine that, a british bike company cultivating the idea that they are british...
  • Indeed, but it doesn't show a great maral standard as a company to its loyal customers, they give the impression you are buying british and half the time there customers are not.. there just paying a mark up to a british office for importing a bike from abroad almost.
  • pypdjl
    Indeed, but it doesn't show a great maral standard as a company to its loyal customers, they give the impression you are buying british and half the time there customers are not..

You are buying british though, they are a british company and all their bikes are designed in the UK. If they were claiming that bikes made elsewhere were made in the UK then they would be morally (and legally!) wrong. But they aren't.
  • Anonymous
    pypdjl wrote:
    Indeed, but it doesn't show a great maral standard as a company to its loyal customers, they give the impression you are buying british and half the time there customers are not..

You are buying british though, they are a british company and all their bikes are designed in the UK. If they were claiming that bikes made elsewhere were made in the UK then they would be morally (and legally!) wrong. But they aren't.

orange is a british company but there is every chance that that the bike you buy from them isnt as british as you think.

fact

orange owners love the britishness of their bike but often dont know that their bike is actually a foreign product. this is not a new thing. i own an orange bike and have owned a previous one but as much as ive got nothing against the company, im not all rose tinted about it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is the crux of the matter - many believe they are ALL British made, when they are not. Just google it for the amount of people who ask questions about it.

OK, Orange are not legally claiming anything, but some people do get the wrong idea, especially based on their history. Sanderson do the same, they WANT you to believe it was made here. And the original post brought into question was about 'made in britain', not just the Britishness of it...

Even the 5, with the new hydroformed bit - that bit is made in, you guessed, Taiwan.

But I have nothing against Taiwanese fames, as is built to the same or usually higher standards for less cost.
  • Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    I want to be loyal to Kona, but I can't stand the way they've made their bikes look the past few years :(
  • Northwind
    pypdjl wrote:
    You are buying british though, they are a british company and all their bikes are designed in the UK.

In which case Cotic, Ragley, On One, and any number of other companies can say that you're buying british if you buy from them, can they?I think it's a good thing that these companies are using british skill in design but I don't consider that I "bought british" when I got my Cotic. "buying slightly british" maybe.

As SS points out Orange are completely honest about their points of origin, when asked. But they don't publicise it. It's not dishonest but you could say it's misleading, especially from a company that makes such a big deal of its britishness yet chooses just to be quiet on the subject of its foreign-ness.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    this thread is why i emailed orange and to be fair i was replied to very quickly. They made no bones about the origins of the bike and i dont like it any less.

As it happens, have a look at their site and im not sure they mention their britishness anywhere, it might be one of those things that is percieved by everyone for whatever reason.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i know where my bikes were designed and made.

4 UK designed and Taiwan made, 1 Taiwan designed and made and the rest designed and made in the Czech Rep. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    The website does seem to have changed. But plenty of people still think this, and many orange logos going about saying stuff like: Orange Mountain Bikes. Handbuilt with pride in Halifax Yorkshire England since 1988.

I do think a large proportion do buy Orange because some are made in England. If they all were built abroad, they would be cheaper, but would they then lose the appeal? Seems they want a slice of both cakes. Which is fair enough, as long as people don't get confused.
  • Northwind wrote:
    In which case Ragley can say that you're buying british if you buy from them, can they?

We are a Calderdale company, just like Orange, that has products made in other places around the world. Taiwan mostly, but USA too (Ti frame).

And to be honest, I think the Calderdale aspect influences things more than the country of manufacture ;-)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supersonic wrote:
    The website does seem to have changed. But plenty of people still think this, and many orange logos going about saying stuff like: Orange Mountain Bikes. Handbuilt with pride in Halifax Yorkshire England since 1988.

I do think a large proportion do buy Orange because some are made in England. If they all were built abroad, they would be cheaper, but would they then lose the appeal? Seems they want a slice of both cakes. Which is fair enough, as long as people don't get confused.

we had the 'why do people buy orange' debate a while back and we also agreed that steve peat and racing pedigree had a lot to do with it....

how many Iron Horse Sundays did you see after sam hill was successful on one....commencals since the athertons started riding them.....how many intenses were sold on the back of shaun palmer....

I honestly believe that people who spend 3 grand on a bike do so because they think it is the best bike....so they look at race results and guess what...Orange really dominate downhill in the uk. I can't remember the numbers, bt when we talked about this before it was someting like 5 of the top 10 in this years NPS series were orange 22x's.

Thats a hell of a good advert. never mind where they are made.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    colintrav wrote:
    Yes it's like having a girlfiend

It's true - a mate of mine dated a girl, and then dated her older sister.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    verloren wrote:
    It's true - a mate of mine dated a girl, and then dated her older sister.

I did that the other way round, my young mind told me it was only fair to date the older one before giving the younger a go :?

In terms of loyalty, I think it is only natural that if you find something that works to buy from the same manufacturer next time.
  • pypdjl
    Northwind wrote:
    In which case Cotic, Ragley, On One, and any number of other companies can say that you're buying british if you buy from them, can they?

Yes, why not, they are all british companies? It's a somewhat vague expression though.
    Northwind wrote:
    It's not dishonest but you could say it's misleading

I don't think you could say misleading, no. It's certainly less clear than it could be, but then I don't think anyone is required to put 'made in xxx' stickers on all their frames. I don't see that the company are responsible for peoples misconceptions.
  • supersonic
    cee wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

we had the 'why do people buy orange' debate a while back and we also agreed that steve peat and racing pedigree had a lot to do with it....

how many Iron Horse Sundays did you see after sam hill was successful on one....commencals since the athertons started riding them.....how many intenses were sold on the back of shaun palmer....

I honestly believe that people who spend 3 grand on a bike do so because they think it is the best bike....so they look at race results and guess what...Orange really dominate downhill in the uk. I can't remember the numbers, bt when we talked about this before it was someting like 5 of the top 10 in this years NPS series were orange 22x's.

Thats a hell of a good advert. never mind where they are made.

NPS - the British thing again. How many did we see at the World Champs or World Cup? But I agree Peaty had a influence, just as he did for GT ;-)
  • Northwind
    pypdjl wrote:
    I don't see that the company are responsible for peoples misconceptions.

They (intentionally IMO) allow those common misconceptions to continue, is where it becomes potentially misleading. A sin of omission if you like.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pypdjl
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point. They seem no different to any other bike company in this respect.
  • A company is responsable for its imageand styling, And most of the public think of orange as british built as obvious from this thread. it is there choice to allow this or change it.. they allow it. simples
  • Northwind
    pypdjl wrote:
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point. They seem no different to any other bike company in this respect.

Well... Look at On One and Cotic for examples of how to make it clear. On One's frames say something like "Designed in Yorkshire, Made in Taiwan", Cotic's website's covered in information about the points of origin. But still, I don't think it's the end of the world ;) I slag Orange's taiwanese frames purely because they're comedically overpriced, not because of where they're made :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist