Brand Loyallty

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I'm not really brand loyal as such but I find that stuff I have and like is a good starting point when looking for new stuff, so I'm perhaps more likely to end up with the same again. This is especially true for things like clothing on the internet, so while there are lots of brands I'd happily own I have a lot of Endura and dhb stuff because I know what I'm getting and CBA to mess about with unknown fit.

I have a Giant hardtail and if I were to ever go FS there's a good chance it would be another Giant because for me they seem to sit in the sweet spot of price, fit and spec. But I wouldn't say I have a particular affinity for the brand.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I think brand loyalty is important - people try things, like them, and buy more things from that brand, word gets around, people recommend it and we all find out what stuff is good.

I buy hope stuff because I have a pair of wheels that have lasted over 10 years - if a brand can prove themselves as good, then why should I not trust their other products?
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh yeah, i forgot, im a big fan of sram as opposed to shimano, i like thomson kit but have just defected to sunline for my most recent finishing kit purchase. i love specialized tyres and doubt i'll use any others again.

i really like specialized bikes (i have 4) but im really itching to buy another bionicon which would be used to replace one of them.

just for fun:

orange bikes are a rip off and im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    But your calling my bike a Ford? Right then, time for some chrome wheels and a big "ST" sticker on the side. Oh and better paint it fluro orange or green too

Nothing wrong with Ford's or ST's I was looking at 330d Sports when I got my Mondeo. Couldn't see the point in pissing 10K down the toiler for a badge, less spec and worse build quality tbh. Each to their own though, plus the ST is more exclusive :D
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Trek all the way got got a ex9, topfuel 8, trek 6000, :D , and a trek 830 road bike :oops: (was gave to me by a mate who packed up riding) i've only road it twice though.
    I wouldn't mind a yeti 575 though demo'd one it rode superb like the ex9.
    i have demo'd a few bikes at shows and robbed some of my mates bike on rides to have a go on but still prefer Trek, in my mate rode my ex9 when got it a month later he had one and he was a marin man before that.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Eranu wrote:
    But your calling my bike a Ford? Right then, time for some chrome wheels and a big "ST" sticker on the side. Oh and better paint it fluro orange or green too

Nothing wrong with Ford's or ST's I was looking at 330d Sports when I got my Mondeo. Couldn't see the point in pissing 10K down the toiler for a badge, less spec and worse build quality tbh. Each to their own though, plus the ST is more exclusive :D

Errrmmm - ST - exclusive? :lol:
    Mondeo better built than a 330d? :lol:

Someone is being rather silly. No surprises there then. :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Eranu wrote:

Errrmmm - ST - exclusive? :lol:
    Mondeo better built than a 330d? :lol:

Someone is being rather silly. No surprises there then. :lol:

Don't be silly Eranu, obviously no other famiy saloon can be better than a BMW like Matt's
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Errrmmm - ST - exclusive?
    Mondeo better built than a 330d?

Someone is being rather silly. No surprises there then.

Less ST Mondeos than 330d's my friend by a long shot. Thus making them more exclusive not more expensive I agree.

In my experience the E36 was a woeful car for build quality. Yours must be different, which is perfectly understandable, there's a lot of BMW's out there :)

What's the last line supposed to mean? Or am I being overly sensative?
  • Anonymous
    no matter what, do not engage matt in bmw speak.
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks.

Do you have any evidence for this? Only having been to the factory where they are made I find it hard to believe, unless it is all just a front and they are only pretending to manufacture bikes. Or you might be spreading baseless lies...?
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    isn't it the tube work for the full sussers is tawain and the hardtails UK..or visa versa can't remember..and then the bits assembled in the uk.
  • some of them are far eastern some are still produced in house.
  • Anonymous
    pypdjl wrote:
    im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks.

Do you have any evidence for this? Only having been to the factory where they are made I find it hard to believe, unless it is all just a front and they are only pretending to manufacture bikes. Or you might be spreading baseless lies...?

where are the mechs made, where are the tyres made where are the forks made etc etc infact, where is the frame made??

i bolted all the parts onto my orange in england so does that make it made in britain?
    pbpic4218855.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Crush frame is certainly made in the Far East. As is the P7. The G2. The G3. ST4. R8...
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    The Crush frame is certainly made in the Far East.

agreed.
  • supersonic
    Which is no bad thing at all. Infact, I'd prefer it to a handbuilt alu frame.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The R8 made me giggle, they've been very coy about where it was made but the number of times I've heard "At that price, it MUST be made in the UK." Or perhaps it's just too expensive? :lol:

I think it's possibly true that the tubes in the 5 are of far eastern manufacture, but then it's probably also true that the welding rods are made abroad and nobody complains about that. The sheet which they fold the main frame and swingarms out of is going to be from China, most likely, I doubt Orange have a bauxite mine in the back garden. So where do you draw the line?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    im not even sure what difference it makes
  • supersonic
    A good robot can weld better than a good human. Much more precise, and repeatable.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Until they go mad and kill you. WELDOTRON WANTS TO LIVE!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pypdjl
    where are the mechs made, where are the tyres made where are the forks made etc etc infact, where is the frame made??

So that's a no then?
  • Anonymous
    nope, its a fact, lots of orange frames as well as everything bolted to them are made abroad. bolting things together is slightly different to most owners view of made in britain.
  • supersonic
    pypdjl wrote:

So that's a no then?

Well, what do you mean by 'made in Britain'? Quite simply put, some of the frames are manufactured in Taiwan as are the majority of the parts.
  • IMO if the frame isn't welded in the UK it isn't made in the UK.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • supersonic
    My 'designed and hand welded in Santa Ana, USA' Zaskar is in fact made in Britain because I put the pedals on and turned the handlebars.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    My 'designed and hand welded in Santa Ana, USA' Zaskar is in fact made in Britain because I put the pedals on and turned the handlebars.

you know what happens if you turn the handlebars, someone takes you into halfords and demands satisfaction........
  • pypdjl
    supersonic wrote:
    Well, what do you mean by 'made in Britain'?

What do you think building a frame means? Put simply, the 5 has a sticker saying handbuilt in Halifax, while the P7 has one saying designed in the UK, do you see?
  • supersonic
    Which is what I am saying - the P7 and various others are not made in the UK, but made in Taiwan.

Many people confuse 'made in' and designed in', and think that their Orange was manufactured here when in many cases it is not.

So Sheeps was quite right when he said 'im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks' when some are not manufactured here. Only some are.
  • pypdjl
    supersonic wrote:
    So Sheeps was quite right when he said 'im not sure they are as 'made in britain' as everyone thinks' when some are not manufactured here. Only some are.

I'm sorry, that is a very charitable reading of that sentence.
  • supersonic
    edited November 2009
    But not quite as all encompassing and sweeping as your interpretation.

If you knew some Oranges were not made in the UK, why did you ask him to provide evidence? Surely yiour response would have included this fact. And I don't think anybody would have interpreted his statement to mean 'all oranges', but specifically the example I laid out.