Brand Loyallty

mickedwards61
mickedwards61 Posts: 175
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Just something I thought of today when I caught myself looking at bikes online (again!), I currently have a entry level Trek, and I enjoy it so much that I think when I come to buy a higher spec bike I would be tempted to stick with Trek, not that I wouldn't consider any others if it meant getting a better bike.

Do many people find themselves sticking to one brand because they have had good experiences with them? Or do you purely go for the spec at the time of buying?

Comments

• colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Yes it's like having a girlfiend ... or having a car ..

Some tend to leave an ever lastin impression ..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    depends, i really like spesh but wouldnt choose one if they didnt makewhat i was looking for.
  • no i cant really afford brand loyalty.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i Have a Scott Genius, i have had 3 others, my daughter has one and my wife has one!
    Both my daughter and my wife use there's about as much as i use the hoover!

so in answer to your question yes.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    So far for MTB

Marin
    GT
    Marin
    Kona
    Orange

Road Bike

Cannondale
    Trek

Just a bike tart!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    which reminds me - I need to update my signiture!
  • And VW surfbum was only here yesterday asking about selling it for two 'other' brands - that's real loyalty that is! :wink:

I do agree that people will often stick with a brand because of a previous good experience even when there are better bikes around. Feeling good about your bike will give you the confidence to ride well and if you've not tried anything else then you aren't going to miss the better bike anyway. :roll:

Oh and if you want to start a fight on here just make a comment like "all brand x riders have beards and wear sandles with their socks" which is the kind of thing that does get thrown out as bait to lets say .....specialized owners (Waits for the inevitable whirring noise as the line streams off the reel) :lol:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • And VW surfbum was only here yesterday asking about selling it for two 'other' brands - that's real loyalty that is! :wink:

I do agree that people will often stick with a brand because of a previous good experience even when there are better bikes around. Feeling good about your bike will give you the confidence to ride well and if you've not tried anything else then you aren't going to miss the better bike anyway. :roll:

Oh and if you want to start a fight on here just make a comment like "all brand x riders have beards and wear sandles with their socks" which is the kind of thing that does get thrown out as bait to lets say .....specialized owners (Waits for the inevitable whirring noise as the line streams off the reel) :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    If something works well then I tend to stick to that brand.

Hence the four Spesh bikes in the garage, one of which is covered in Hope gear (which I really like), Spesh clothes and loyalty to SRAM.
  • I've had two scotts and currently have three on-ones and a sort of very budget hardtail as well.

I tend to buy what works, i like hope hubs, but have mavic and dt rims, hope and avid brakes, no SRAM gears, but then only one geared bike 8)
  • I have seen people with strong brand loyalty.. i don't have any at all lol.

And the worst is those anorak wearing Orange owners.. there like the Audi/BMW owners of the bike world!! (Gogo flame hehe)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Do many people find themselves sticking to one brand because they have had good experiences with them?
    I don't have any brand loyalty but there are some big names that don't get a second glance. I just don't like any bike they've ever made :)
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    edited November 2009
    i live 10 mins down the road from a specialized concept store and i have never been in there.
    around here theres an old guy who we all call specialized man, hes dressed head to toe in it bike and all.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I like variety and I am an unashamed bike tart. But then I'm middle aged with a decent job and no kids (and, thank god, a wife into mountainbiking) so I can get away with it.

I did get stuck in a cannondale rut for 10 years. It was a good rut, full of cutting edge oversized aluminium stiffness, but a rut nonetheless. Now I own 4 bikes from 4 different companies and once the tax bill is paid my next bike project will probably come from another brand again.

as for trusting the brand, that's all fine but only the frame is proprietary in most cases, parts are selected from the same market so I suppose if I were to stick to a brand it would be for a particular thing; shimano for drivetrains, Avid for brakes for example ... but tbh I don't even do that (except for the shimano deuralliers, but that's more of a systems thing)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Hmm, first bike was a Kona and I loved it. It has Shimano and Hayes components and yea out of the box it was near perfect for me with great components, paintwork and attention to detail. (Shimano/Hayes/Marzocci/WTB/RaceFace)

I then wanted an FS bike after recovering from breaking my leg and was quite set on the Kona AM range. In fact I was 99.9% sure I was going donw the Kona routce once again

Came across the Felt Compulsion 2, Felt being a brand I never heard much of or about.
    Took the plunge and bought the Felt which was totally different as in RockShox, SRAM components, Avid brakes etc. I am very pleased with this bike

Brand loyality? Yes and no I guess. The Felt is awesome as is the Kona. When buying my next bike in 2010 I probably wont buy another Kona nor Felt. I'll buy what suits my requirement/expectations and my budget. It will be a reputable brand though.

From the Kona I am a huge fan of WTB saddles (Rocket Race V) and have fitted one to my commuter MTB.
    From the Felt I am now an SRAM, Rockshox and Avid convert and will probably look for those component brands on my next purchase irrenspective of the marque/brand

So, yes and no when it comes to brand loyalty
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Not Loyal to a bike brand but there are components I am loyal to all my bikes have SDG Belair saddles, Rockshox forks, Shimano hubs and Shimano Cranksets.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Surf-Matt
    I have seen people with strong brand loyalty.. i don't have any at all lol.

And the worst is those anorak wearing Orange owners.. there like the Audi/BMW owners of the bike world!! (Gogo flame hehe)

Ahem...!

TBH I think Specialized IS the Audi/BMW of the bike world but not sure about Orange - I like their heritage but not their prices or products.

I think we all like to let everyone know how open minded we all are - but I bet even the biggest brand loyalty deniers have many items from the same company.

Knowing a brand will probably work well saves time and hassle.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    In general. Nope, constantly looking for the new and different, but if there's a benchmark something or other, then..
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    I have seen people with strong brand loyalty.. i don't have any at all lol.

Ahem...!

TBH I think Specialized IS the Audi/BMW of the bike world but not sure about Orange - I like their heritage but not their prices or products.

I think we all like to let everyone know how open minded we all are - but I bet even the biggest brand loyalty deniers have many items from the same company.

Knowing a brand will probably work well saves time and hassle.

Nah Specialized are more like the ford, more products at more value prices...

Most orange owners are... (flame on!!)
  • Surf-Matt
    I have no time for Orange and their obsessed owners just like I have no time for the new breed of Audi drivers.

But your calling my bike a Ford? Right then, time for some chrome wheels and a big "ST" sticker on the side. Oh and better paint it fluro orange or green too :wink::lol:

It's definitely worth looking outside of MTB brands for clothing - some stuff like Finisterre is just so ideal for biking. Howies stuff is good for clothing but their MTB specific kit is priced by someone that should run a joke shop.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Just to defend myself :)
    If scott did a 17"full bouncing 29er i would be looking at buying it, as they dont i'm forced to look elsewhere! :D

and just for the record i have owned, 2x Marins, 3 x saracens, 1 x road bike (shhh) countless BMX's and the odd BSO.
    :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • he he - feels like a nibble to me. (vwsurfbum on the hook :lol: )

The reality is buy what you like - there are so few truly awful bikes now and most components work pretty well if you clean and lube them. I've been riding mtb's since 1986 and what you can get now for £500-£1k is amazing compared to the clunkers of those days. Do you like the colour? Is it designed for what you want to do with it? Then buy it and have fun. :wink:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i wouldbnt say its brand loyalty as such, but im always gonna use shimano dx pedals as long as they are made and ill stick with 5:10 as well.

i certainly sharn't be stikcing with magura or shimano hubs tho :roll:
  • colintrav
    matthew h wrote:
    which reminds me - I need to update my signiture!

I recognise the nose cone of that car your bike is parked along side

Very nice brief If i do admit hand built possible kit car ,2 seater open top sports v8 engine TVR
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I suppose I trust SRAM, Shimano, FSA and Rockshox... I tend to look to those guys first for any new product. But really I buy what seems right each time.

The only brands I've ever bought more than one bike from are Raleigh and Carrera :lol: And I guess I do feel a bit of loyalty to Carrera, one bike gave me 15 years riding pleasure and hopefully will give more once I rebuild it, and the other got me back into riding then donated its bits to other bikes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • colintrav
    ^^^

I feel sorry for you because you live in Edinbugh the Princess st is gash for quality shop's

Compared to Glasgow I've never witnessed so many dog n bone shops in such a small distance it's sad ..

From the lothian road upwards . brutal
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On the other hand, I can visit Glasgow for the shops and gigs any time I like, and at the end I can return home to civilisation :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Despite what my signature might suggest, I'm not a massive Marin fanboy, they do however produce good bikes which have been available at good prices at the time I brought them (apart from the old bobcat which I inherited). I would happily buy alot of other brands.

I'm pretty brand loyal with kit though, like Hope stuff, shimano, DMR for flat pedals,661 for good value protective gear, troy lee or fox for jerseys and gloves, specialized for other bits and bobs. Would have Fox forks on all my bikes if I could afford it too!

I Don't think i'll ever use anyone else for saddles than WTB- pefect fit for me.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • LIke my Land Rover simply because the mountain bike was at one time called 'the land rover of the bicycle world' and it cost me only £300 new!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    shimano shoes they just fit my feet so well,
    If not DHB as every bit of kit i have got from them works with no frills at a price im happy with.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas