bike seat and post stolen

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
grrr...just thought i'd add this as a record of all the other bike related thefts that have occurred recently..

It was stolen from outside a cop-op in Bromley, the security guard checked the CCTV and said it was taken by 2 kids, and that there have been lots of kids hanging around that particular car park stealing things recently.

I heard that the co-op have recently tested playing loud classical music outside their stores to deter kids with some success and suggested they implement it at that store.

hmmmmm

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Hmmm. Quick release seat posts have a definite disadvantage. IIRC this also happened to DDD.

I believe he now has a saddle with a groove in the middle, through which he threads a cable lock.

How was the ride home?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Sorry to hear that Moonio. Silly season in full flow I see :cry:

Whilst I appreciate bikes are stolen year round, do they reach a peak in the summer or is this a 'special' year because of the recession?

Continue to hope mine escapes such 'loving' attention :?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, it sucks when this happens. My expensive saddle now gets swapped for the cheapo piece of crap that I got for a fiver as a spare from the LBS every time I need to lock my bike up.

Locking through the saddle rails isn't always a deterrent - I've seen a few stolen seatposts where someone's got an allen key and detatched it from the saddle. Why anyone would want to do this is a mystery to me. :roll:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Cafewanda wrote:
    do they reach a peak in the summer

I asked the police recently for some statistics regarding this. They said that most bikes get stolen in December/January because of Christmas.