Fat burning myths

1235»

Comments

• sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    edited July 2009
    jp1985 wrote:
    This thread has become a debate on whether efficiency can improve performance so i am debating this topic.

I just making a suggestion overall :D, so it not become self defeating.

If a coach tells a beginner or not, they need to be more body efficient, then it's not going to help them, they end up more confused. The better advice would be on how to build a better foundation, such as training better, improve muscle, lose weight, improve VO2 and muscle efficiency. Regardless of a study it is logical to think, a bigger VO2 will improve efficiency. Better efficiency will then take care of itself and come with time.

Let's say with great, perfected training, you end up 20lbs lighter, get a much improved VO2 max and highly respected muscle efficiency all in place. To increase body efficiency even further, by another 2-3% , is going to take years!
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    edited July 2009
    jp1985 wrote:
    If you assume that the findings were wrong (which they were) and his efficiency didn't change. The conclusion would be that over 7 years of training with no training specifically dedicated to improving efficiency, efficiency did not improve. Thats a shock.

They didn't say it didn't improve, they said it didn't improve much. I agree it only one study, but there is a common theme with efficiency.

The factors that make a great rider are already in place from the start, such as natural talent, big lung capacity, high muscle efficiency, big heart, low resting heart rate, strength, ideal weight muscle/fat ratio, along with pro training/racing, good nutrition and a aerodynamic light bike.

Considering all that, you not going to see a big efficiency leap from a different training schedule are you? even training at high altitudes with a space age bike. Once you get to a certain high level of fitness, there is only so far you can go. More performance and power - YES , but a big leap in efficiency - NO.

Think about it logically. If you done a training routine for many years, and then switch to a superior training routine, changing the muscle/fat composition all again. How can the body be super efficient with the new training routine? It can't. That is why, the earlier you get the latest modern training suited to you, the better.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    jp1985 wrote:
    I think an important point to consider is the post exercise oxygen consumption which is far far greater with high intensity exercise. I've seen research that would actually advocate a resistance training program over endurance/ aerobic based training programme for weight/ fat loss.

Do you have any references to hand?

I did discount the impact of workout intensity on post exercise fat oxidation in my opening post but if you have a reference at hand .... :D
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • topcat33
    topcat33 Posts: 57
    Everyone knows a Campag equipped bike will allow you to burn fat quicker than a Shimano one..............