Etape Caledonia 2009

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    A friend of mine is hoping to finish in... err, is hoping to finish... and has a start time just back from 7, despite having a surname right at the back of the alphabet. She didn't reply to the seeding request.
    She's a bit disconcerted by the prospect of being overtaken by 3000+ people, so you can all wave to her as you go past!
    Something tells me there's a lot of randomness in the process, and any attempts to read logic into it are a bit futile...
  • I'm a little bit peeved to have a start time of 07:28. I started about that time last year and was held up a bit on the narrow roads around Loch Rannoch. I ended up finishing in 4hrs4mins. This year I put in a seeding request aiming for sub 4. I am much fitter this year but with 3500 cyclists, most of them in front of me I dont think I'll get a good time. They seem to have allocated most of the start times according to surnames with some seeding requests being successful.

The bonus is the scenery is magnificent and you dont have to worry about metal heads so a nice pleasant cycle may be on the cards. No point getting wound up about people in front or the people last year who dropped onto the little ring and stood on the pedals on the Shehallion flank thinking it was a hill.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    edited May 2009
    message removed by Shane
  • bompington
    OK, this is either an obscure Outlook fault or another case of typical Etape C pre-race communication: email arrived this morning claiming to contain, among other things, start times and seeding info. It contains the line

Download your race start times and seeding information

but the link is invisible until you click it!

If anyone else is having the same problem, the link is:

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/images/PDFs/Race-Start-Times.xls
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Are there any standard times - gold, silver etc etc?

If not, what is a respectable time do you reckon?
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Sub 4 is a great time, sub 4.5 is good. There are however a lot of riders out there so you may not always be able to go at your own pace. I would suggest enjoying the scenery and making the best of the day is more important than getting a specific time.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I did the Brian Robinson Challenge (77.6mile, 10,000ft climb) in 6hours. I was hoping to do Etape Cal in under 5.5 and fingers crossed under 5hrs. Sub 4 is beyond the realm of possibility for me. Flippin 'eck! that is going some.

Main thing is I need to beat Mr P
  • aberdeen_lune
    I think you may be surprised how fast a course the EC is, especially if the weather conditions are favourable. Its a beautiful part of the world make sure you look up and enjoy the scenery.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    7.04 start time for me. Hopefully all the miles I did in Majorca last week will see me round the course. I'm hoping for a sub 4.5 hours time but in reality I'll be quite happy to roll along and take in the scenery.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on the day. I'll be riding a black,white & blue Wilier and I'll be wearing EK Road Club kit
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    arranandy wrote:
    7.04 start time for me. Hopefully all the miles I did in Majorca last week will see me round the course. I'm hoping for a sub 4.5 hours time but in reality I'll be quite happy to roll along and take in the scenery.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on the day. I'll be riding a black,white & blue Wilier and I'll be wearing EK Road Club kit

Not to be confused with me who will also be starting at 7:04 on a black, white and blue Wilier :roll: :lol: although not sure what I'll be wearing yet - weather permitting.

The long grazed legged one
  • sam-antha
    sam-antha Posts: 11
    Some peeps have been asking info on the gradients of the circuit.
    Here are some of them :

Fincastle 5 miles Down 1/21

Bonskeid Hill 4 miles Up 1/19 1/22

Queens View 6 miles Up 1/19 - 23 - 12 - 15 (The 1/12 is very near the summit)

Dunalaistair 17 miles Down 1/19 (Seems worse with the bends)

Out of Kinloch that biggie is approx 1/13 in places, on both sides about a mile up and four down.

The blind one up at Logie is probably about the same, but nothing like as long.
  • Some questions for anyone who knows the route:

Having looked at the elevation of the route provided on the organiser's site, the course appears to have a gradual climb for the first 16 kms (with a spike around the 10 km mark) and then another around the 70 km mark.

What are these two climbs actually like? They look dramatic in relation to the rest of the course but the metres indicator would suggest that they only take the rider from 100 to 200 metres elevation and then from 200 to 300 metres.

What is the average gradient of these climbs and what gradient are the steepest ramps? How many kms long is the main climb?

Second question, I live in Spain and have been spoiled by good weather for several years (currently 26 degrees). How cold is it at 7.00 am in Pitlochry, even on a decent May morning? I looked at a forecast for next week and it is showery, 12 degrees or so with am temps as low as 4 degrees - is it really still that cold in the middle of May?

Here's hoping the weather changes . . .
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Last year the weather was lovely for most of the day, but at the start it was very cold indeed, below 5 degrees as I seem to remember.
    It's Scotland.
    In May.
    Weatherwise: Expect anything!
  • sam-antha
    Some questions for anyone who knows the route:

Having looked at the elevation of the route provided on the organiser's site, the course appears to have a gradual climb for the first 16 kms (with a spike around the 10 km mark) and then another around the 70 km mark.
    What are these two climbs actually like? They look dramatic in relation to the rest of the course but the metres indicator would suggest that they only take the rider from 100 to 200 metres elevation and then from 200 to 300 metres

The first spike I describe in a post above, as Bonskeid Hill. Length about 1.5km
    Then on the contou,r there follows the Queens View spike of about the same distance with the bad bit 150 metres before the summit.
    The second spike you refer to, I described as the one out of Kinloch Rannoch and it is not easy. Probably the worst of the lot, in total, seemingly endless, but after that it is fast downhil , mostly, to Aberfeldy

How many kms long is the main climb?
    Around 2km.

~Samm
    . . .
  • sam-antha
    ellieb wrote:
    Last year the weather was lovely for most of the day, but at the start it was very cold indeed, below 5 degrees as I seem to remember.
    It's Scotland.
    In May.
    Weatherwise: Expect anything!

this link should help

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxS ... showrain=1
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Other McHoy, calm your beans, settle the kettle. The climbs are not extreme. Queens view is a pech, Shiehalliion is a grind and the lumps after Logierait are unwelcome at that stage of the route but, sod it, you are nearly there by then.

I recommend arm and leg warmers and a lightweight waterproof. The steam coming off the crowded peloton will keep you warm on the way round the lochs.

First year, drizzle, last year, perfect conditions. This year, I predict a tempest!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Thanks to all for the info. Those types of temps are the lowest ones we get here in winter. Local Spanish riders would have full face balaclavas on at anything below 10 degrees and more layers than a polar explorer.

• bompington
    Hey McHoy, relax - the temperature was only just freezing last year and the frost on the grass soon melted! I did the runner's thing and wore an old trackie then chucked it before the start (into a bin, unlike runners) which left a nippy feeling for the first 10 mins, but the adrenaline gets you over that.

Last year was near-ideal but the pattern round here for the last while looks like cool, breezy (westerly), showery weather, and it does look a bit set to continue that way, not that you can predict that accurately in Scotland.

I was out for a ride in the area last saturday and the squally showers were noticeably worse in the west, the wind was unpleasant and cold around them, but only ever for a few minutes at a time, in between the sun was quite pleasant and I built up quite a sweat on the Glen Quaich road.

The Etape C is definitely not that hilly, I find the undulating terrain makes it hard to get into a steady rhythm at times, but the climbs people mention are really no big deal. Watch out for the steep little climb where you turn off the main road at Logierait (about 75 miles), it's not that much but catches a lot of people in the wrong gear, judging by the crunching, girinding and gnashing of teeth I heard all around me. The little rises in the following (i.e. final) 5 miles hurt me a lot more than the Schiehallion road.

BTW, with reference to discussions earlier in this thread, some sort of "Etape C++"*, including Glen Quaich & the Lawers road, would have to beat them all.

So in short, if you're used to Scottish conditions, shorts & l/sleeved top should do fine, if you're used to Spanish conditions, maybe a sleeping bag with leg holes?

*Geek joke
  • sam-antha
    that Logie hill .... after running on the more or less flat for ten miles plus the Logie Hill is a very unexpected thing. Here we leave the main road for a C class item and the corner is blind.
    Weather forecast for the rest of this week for this area is snow on high ground.
    ~Samm
  • bompington wrote:
    H

So in short, if you're used to Scottish conditions, shorts & l/sleeved top should do fine, if you're used to Spanish conditions, maybe a sleeping bag with leg holes?

*Geek joke

I'm checking now to see if Specialized have the sleeping bag kit still in stock. I shouldn't be hard to spot in the A group with that on, :)
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Well, that's me put in my place then. My first ever sportive and I'm gonna be just pleased to get around it in one piece. All this talk of sub-4 hour times seems a world away. I'm off at 7:10, so I guess I need to (a) expect to be overtaken a lot and (b) be careful not to be swept along by some really fast riders and knacker myself completely.

And now a question....I've been doing some 50-60 mile runs and averaging 16 or so mph. Should I expect a little extra speed on account of riding in a group?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Extra speed on the day - yes. The first year they did this, I rode the course two weeks before to test the landscape. On that basis, I was looking at 5 hours being a good time. On the day, I got 10% more than my usual average speed and rode the fastest 100km of my life, mostly through hooking up with chaingangs, partly through sheer adrenalin.

This year I want a sub 4.30 but I haven't managed that pace on my own yet in training over distance. I am relying on the group effect and praying I don't get held up in traffic.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Cool. Sounds like my 5hr target should be achievable. As above - I'm amazed at the (lack of) seeding.
  • yodasm9
    yodasm9 Posts: 32
    Hi folks,

I missed the entry period for this year's Etape but am coming up to Pitlochry anyway for a week.

What are the odds the organisers would let me enter if there was a no show?
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
  • bompington
    Further on Scottish conditions...
    rode to work today into a wind gusting nearly force 10, stinging rain, temp starting at about 5°, here's the evidence:
    3510244256_332169f465_o.jpg
    At one point I was doing 10mph down a 10% hill.
    There is indeed snow on high ground as Sam-antha predicted.

Looking forward to it!
  • aberdeen_lune
    You had it easy I was just out on my fixie for an hour wind speeds of 35mph with gusts of 55mph. It felt like I was going at 0mph downhill into the wind. With the wind behind me my legs were going at an unbelievable cadence.

Wind and gust speed (mph)
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I hear that there's fresh snow on the Shiehallion climb..... :shock:
  • BigG67 wrote:
    I hear that there's fresh snow on the Shiehallion climb..... :shock:

With over a week to go there's plenty of time for summer to arrive . . . or at least for Spring to show it's colours. Come on nature, time to put winter to bed.

Why is Scottish weather so feckin crap? I spent 23 years there thinking that the sky's natural colour was grey and that rain fell horizontally. If you complained about it you were told it's character building - I'm sure I was told the same about venturing into our town's outdoor swimming pool.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    Weather will be fine next Sunday. Sun, light breeze and 18C - I wish!!!! :):)
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!