Etape Caledonia 2009

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Absolutely BigG67, it's got to be worth the challenge of pushing it - I'm going for 4 hours - there, I've said it so now I've got to do it!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    bompington wrote:
    Absolutely BigG67, it's got to be worth the challenge of pushing it - I'm going for 4 hours - there, I've said it so now I've got to do it!
    Snob. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BigG67 wrote:
    I agree

Likewise the Etape Caledonian is a OK for me in 5hrs with good weather, but I'm trying to break 4 -15 this year which will be bloody hard...every bit as hard as getting round the Fred Whitton, Etape du Dales etc etc

Disagree...give me 2 x Etape Caledonias at my full speed rather than the Fred at my 'survival' speed! Ive cycled many places and many terrains but Hardknott at 100miles is (for me) the toughest thing Ive ever encountered...christ I near pass out on it :shock:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Noodley wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Snob. :lol:

Now really, you misunderstand me - if you knew me you'd know that "fool" says it better
  • The Etape Caley seeding application has come through. 81 miles,mostly hooning by all accounts, especially if you can get a good group together.
    Sub 4 could be pushing it? Could end up more like 5.30 with the wrong wind :oops:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    The seeding is a bit indiscriminate for people like me. If I go for sub 4:30, I'll be trashed like I was last year; if I go for sub 5:30 I'll be in a peloton the size of critical mass. Hmm.

I'm aiming for 4.40.

Anyway, as has been said on here many times, it is not a race.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• glencoe
    glencoe Posts: 9
    I would like to enter this year's etape but didn't realise that it would be sold out already. Does anyone know if there is someone who has changed their mind and will definitely not be going. I would repay their fee, goes without saying .
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Its been full for a while now (about 8 weeks).

I am also trying to get an entry transferred, but havent heard anything yet, though without getitng the seeding entry in at the same time as Art Vandelay (for the same estimated completion time as Art Vandelay) it wont be worth it anyway....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Just to say that you'd need the organisers to transfer it.

The were definitely checking photo id against names last year.
  • felgen
    BigG67 wrote:
    Just to say that you'd need the organisers to transfer it.

The were definitely checking photo id against names last year.
    And well they might - apprently the guy who came second in the Quebranahuesos last year was a ringer riding under someone elses entry - uproar!

Anwyay its been a few days since I emailed the organisers, and no reply, so perhaps time to call them, or just go down there in person, its only in Kew just down the road.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.

Etape du Spam.

1. please stop sending me junk mail.
    2. if you have to send me anything, send me a confirmation of the f****** seeding request that I provided today (for the 3rd time).
    3. then kindly rest assured that I will be there, on the start line, come the day. And go away.
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    Looks like it's completely sold out now!

http://www.clubsonline.com.au/eventsreg ... 2200941212
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?
  • felgen
    been sold out for a while hasnt it? Anyway they wont transfer entries as they say the info has already gone off to sportident. I dont see how it can be so hard to just change one name for another.... :?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    The normal entries have been sold out for a while yeah but now even all the charity spaces have gone too.

3500 bikes in the middle of Pitlochry is gonna be mental!
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I'm coming - really looking forward to it :)
  • zebedeecp
    zebedeecp Posts: 63
    I must say having taken part in the first one in 2007 apart from the scenery the whole route is a bit of a dissapointment has far as a challenge goes with only one proper climb. All in all a bit too easy and certainly doesnt justify the entry fee.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    popette wrote:
    I'm coming - really looking forward to it :)

Me too :D even though some here do not think its 'hard enough' There a few of us coming up and we intend on making it a long weekend with a ride in the middle and few beers on Sunday evening :P returning home on Monday!

Looking forward to it.
    Shane
  • dnrdnr
    dnrdnr Posts: 27
    Seeding out - I finished top 100 last year - this year my start is +30min with number 2 thousand and something. SIgh. Looks like top notch entry fee is not for the top notch administration.
  • felgen
    dnrdnr wrote:
    Seeding out - I finished top 100 last year - this year my start is +30min with number 2 thousand and something. SIgh. Looks like top notch entry fee is not for the top notch administration.

Isn't that more people to draft then?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • pneumatic
    I'd rather draft and hop my way up from the back than suffer what happened to me last year. They seeded me in the second pen off and I spent all day falling off the back of speedy chain gangs and being overtaken.

My biggest concern is the traffic this year. Twice as many people on the course as there were last year. There will be crashes.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    3500 riders is going to be horrid. ILast year, there was traffic jams on the route around the loch, I predict that if you do not have a decent seeding, you are going to be very frustrated following some slow riders.
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    dnrdnr wrote:

Oh bugger. I'm setting off with the big boys at 07:18, despite my pleas for mercy.

I'll try not to get in everyone's way.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • glencoe
    glencoe Posts: 9
    Has anyone ever joined the race without paying the fee? The reason I ask is that I was too late to enter this year and really keen to do it organisers never replied to email regarding withdrawals there are over 3000 taking part and one more would never be noticed.
  • andywgg
    andywgg Posts: 303
    I'm not sure if they've seeded at all - my mates and i all put 4:30-5:30 and vary from 7:08 to 7:34 (me). Another guy I know put 6+ and has 7:16. They're going to get a lot of hassle if people are paying £50+ for the "closed roads" experience and they end up in a traffic jam for 80 miles!
    may the dawes be with you...

andy
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    glencoe wrote:
    Has anyone ever joined the race without paying the fee? The reason I ask is that I was too late to enter this year and really keen to do it organisers never replied to email regarding withdrawals there are over 3000 taking part and one more would never be noticed.
    Oh come off it! What if a couple of hundred people decided to do this, would they be noticed? The number of people on these & other boards who reckon they are entitled to get something for nothing is really depressing. You didn't get in, so you didn't get in. Tough
  • NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    yeah my uncle put himself down for 5:30 whereas I said 4:30, we have the same start time... I guess the seeding procedure wasn't perfected in time!
  • pneumatic
    I did wonder about the seeding. 4:30 to 5:30 is a huge window. What is more they already have my times from the last two years (between 4:40 and 4:55). I'm off at 7:34, behind a bloke who put 6+. Something tells me their seeding machine is only interested in those who say they can do it in sub 4 hours.

Talking of which, last year I parked next to an old-timer from Dundee CC. We had a bit of a chat and I saw him again at the end. Relieved to have got in under 5 hours, I asked him how he'd done. "Ach eh wisnae racing, jist hinging oan tae the yingins." His time? 3:46!!!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• andywgg
    andywgg Posts: 303
    What letter does your surname begin with? I'm "w" and I'm 7.34 too - my mate (same time) is "A" and he's 7.08! used to get really cheesed off at school with always being last for stuff!
    may the dawes be with you...

andy
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    I a "W" and I'm off at 7:03. I must be bloody good! ;-)