training benefits of distances and times of day

GazelleBoy
GazelleBoy Posts: 32
Does anybody know of any stats relating to distance and times of training rides.

For instance how will two spaced out rides of 17 miles (Morn & night commuting) effect your fitness, metabolism etc, as apposed to just doing 34 mile in one evening ride.

Is one more beneficial than the other in improving certain aspects of your cycling performance or weight loss?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike.
Then I realised that The Lord doesn\'t work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Different for different people. I spent years going out early and it's always felt a bit crap, but I've started going out in the afternoon and it's been feeling far better.

So I recommend training at the time of day you feel motivated and good at.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I seen some research somewhere - though can't remember now where or who done it - however I do remember them saying that the optimum time for cardio training was at around 6pm for most people. There was some science as to why this was this case though can't remember the details of that either.

Not sure I buy into it though as my weekend rides are generally start around 9-11am and I find it harder to get motivated or interested the more the day runs on. However if it is a work day I would much rather do an extended commute in the evening than in the morning. So what does that tell me? Damn all other than its just a mind thing ie I'm motivated at weekends to go out early however on workdays I'm more motivated in the evening.
  • Is going out twice not better than going out once, regardless of time of day, distance etc?

Like hydration - little and often vs one long draught.

Like previous posters, there may actually be some science somewhere that sez: 3pm = optimum performance, but really everyone's different and you'll know best when you prefer riding.

Psychologically, I much prefer "going for a ride" in the morning rather than evening. I usually feel that I have to put in more effort for an evening ride and think I feel worse physically compared to a morning ride, but I can fool myself by going on a long commute...?