How do I Increase my Power?

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
For my weight (66kg) I would expect to be able to climb much better than what I actually do as I really struggle to stay with the group on club runs when we reach a hill. I think that this comes down to my power to weight ratio being very poor. I don't want to lose anymore weight having dropped from 73kg over the last 18 months so do I need to increase power and if so, how do I do this?.

At present, I am going out and doing two fifty mile (fairly hilly) rides at the weekend in order to build up my base but should I be doing something more specific to increase power? I also go to a spinning class twice a week as I can't get out on my bike during the week.

Thanks

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Fatuous but strangely truthful answer: Ride hard up lots of hills. Consume water, protein and carbs. Rest adequately. Repeat.

My FTP is on the march at the mo and whilst I do lots of tempo and some high intensity intervals the above pretty much sums up how I've approached improvements to my 8-20 minute power for the local hills I climb. But then I've got a 21% max 1.5km monster on my doorstep so I'm lucky (Horseblock Hollow in the Surrey Hills).
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    brucey72 wrote:
    For my weight (66kg) I would expect to be able to climb much better than what I actually do as I really struggle to stay with the group on club runs when we reach a hill. I think that this comes down to my power to weight ratio being very poor. I don't want to lose anymore weight having dropped from 73kg over the last 18 months so do I need to increase power and if so, how do I do this?.

At present, I am going out and doing two fifty mile (fairly hilly) rides at the weekend in order to build up my base but should I be doing something more specific to increase power? I also go to a spinning class twice a week as I can't get out on my bike during the week.

Thanks
    You may not need to do a great deal. Given your time constraints it might just mean being patient and training consistently and things will gradually improve.However once you've plateaued to further improve you may need to do one or a combination of the following:

1. Increase the duration of your rides
    2. Increase the intensity/speed/power of your rides
    3. Increase the frequency (ride more often)
    4. Perhaps :shock: rest more and reduce 1,2,or 3

All of this will of course be subject to your training goals (short TT's/Sportivs/RR/general fitness); how much fitness you bring to the table:how motivated you are; and of course what training time you have available. :D