Your diet...(the mountain-bikers special)

pedal-pony
pedal-pony Posts: 33
Extra energy is needed for those steep climbs, hills, peddling power and long distance rides..

Bananas, jell-babies, energy bars, jam sandwiches, malt-loaf and electrolyte drinks provide the instant calories needed to increase biking energy.....

but what does your daily diet consist of? (the typical sportsman/woman and cyclists diet)...

Ive seen posts about what people fancy for their lunch....
but how about day-to-day meals/nutrition?
:shock:

spill the beans.... are you a healthy eater....
or a mischief-muncher?

PONY. :P

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not the healthiest! I tend to rise late and skip breakfast, going straight in for a toasted sandwich. Dinner tends to be healthy, as cooked by me Mam, so lean meat, salads, baked potatoes, pasta etc. Drink a little too much coke, and definitely too much beer lol. Can't resist someting about 10pm, like a pizza, or big snack. I should be eating more fruit too.

Lot better than it used to be though!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Quite healthy thanks to a wife who cooks splendid meals.

Get a weekly organic veg box (and fruit) and work around what's in that. Have the odd beer, wine and pizza or curry but it's usually healthy rice/pasta based stuff.

Grow some of our own stuff too - potatoes, courgettes, tomatoes, loads of herbs and three apple trees and a HUGE amount of blackberries are great at this time of the year!

Never EVER skip breakfast - vital!
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    pedal-pony wrote:
    Bananas, jell-babies, energy bars, jam sandwiches, malt-loaf and electrolyte drinks provide the instant calories needed to increase biking energy.....

My diet is actually not bad, I only drink alcohol on a Friday as an end of working week treat. Daily I dont usually do breakfast (but will if riding that day) and a sensible lunch of a sandwich and a regular dinner, usualy very healthy.

This said, Im still a fat ba*tard!

Can I just ask, whats your opinion on eating such sugary treats as an energy boost on a ride? - I did a long off-road ride last week, and NEEDED suplementing by Jelly-Babies and electrolyte drink. Now my question is, am I just cheating? will I still lose weight/increase fitness even when Im jacked up on a sugar hit?
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Weekdays

Breakfast
    2x Weetabix
    Brunch
    Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (80g+)
    Lunch
    Pasta meal or something similar, or a chicken burger with onion rings and mayo
    3pm
    Another bowl of cereal or something similar
    6-7pm
    Evening meal, pretty healthy
    10pm
    Rice pudding or chocolate sponge or something like that.

Then weekends tend to be a little bit more, and if I can swing it, I get two roast dinners on Sundays.

Am I a big lad??? I weight 54 kilo's, and cannot put on weight! :shock:

Then if I go for a ride, I tend to have chocolate bars, jelly baby type sweets and energy drink... Hopefully I won't drop in weight!
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Milkie wrote:
    Weekdays

Breakfast
    2x Weetabix
    Brunch
    Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (80g+)
    Lunch
    Pasta meal or something similar, or a chicken burger with onion rings and mayo
    3pm
    Another bowl of cereal or something similar
    6-7pm
    Evening meal, pretty healthy
    10pm
    Rice pudding or chocolate sponge or something like that.

Then weekends tend to be a little bit more, and if I can swing it, I get two roast dinners on Sundays.

Am I a big lad??? I weight 54 kilo's, and cannot put on weight! :shock:

Then if I go for a ride, I tend to have chocolate bars, jelly baby type sweets and energy drink... Hopefully I won't drop in weight!

Fancy swapping metabolisms? You'd easily put weight on with mine!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Golden rule number 1: NEVER miss breakfast!

My typical day:
    Breakfast: branflakes with sultanas plus a glass of grapefruit juice
    9.30am: 2 kiwi fruits
    11am: chocolate biscuit/cereal bar
    Lunch: bagels with pate and cucumber or crispbreads with houmous, olives, tomoatoes - something along those lines
    4.30pm: banana
    Dinner: BIG dinner but healthy - pasta/rice/potato based dish usually with lots & lots of veg....
    Pudding: don't be silly, I wanna stay size 8 :-) Well, maybe on a Sunday as a treat...
    10ish: someting chocolatey :lol:

Weekends are a bit more unpredictable, but fave breakfast before hitting the trails is a big bowl of porridge with a gross amount of syrup - yummy :D

I might only be a size 8 girl but I'm not afraid to eat! I just keep it balanced and as a very habitual person my metabolism knows what to expect - none of this skipping meals business for me! Oh, I'm veggie too which I think helps - v low fat diet.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Blimey :shock: You lot seem to eat loads!

My typical day....

Breakfast: yoghurt and museli, melon, or toast (or sometimes nothing if i'm in a rush to get to work - bad, I know :oops: )

Lunch: sandwich and fruit / chocolate bar

Dinner: pasta / risotto or something healthy! If we're eating late then it's usually soup with lots of veggies added, and then fruit

Having said that, I am a firm believer that moderation is key so I basically eat anything! I have been known to polish off 4 donuts in the office, or two puddings of an evening... Not every week though!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I agree, moderation is definitely key. I've been known to polish off more than a few doughnuts/cream cakes in one sitting myself :oops: but as long as you recognise you've had a binge and adjust your intake later that day/the next day, you can't go too far wrong.

It's all part of a balanced diet in my view - if you eat a cake, eat an apple too :D
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    :lol::lol:

Yep, I could never be one of those people when it's always 'oh no, just the plain salad for me...'. Life's too short really isn't it :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    A typical day's eating for me consists of...

Breakfast: Beans on toast
    Elevensies: Banana
    Lunch: Vegetable omelette sandwich or homemade soup and bread or mackeral sandwich
    Snack: Choccie bar and cup of tea
    Dinner: Pasta, curry, risotto, pizza, paella - massive portions
    Snack: Bag of crisps or two
    Drinks: OJ, water, squash, 2x beer or half-bottle wine

Obviously there's things I could improve there, but nobody's perfect.

I grow a lot of veggies too - how have your courgettes been this year Matt? Mine have been a bit disappointing - only started fruiting at end of August. Spinach and beetroots have had the best summer for me - along with the garlic.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Kebab/ curry/ chinese depending on mood, beer.
    err... thats it. :lol:
    Need more fruit in my daily intake, and lunch can be a toasted ciabata from work, often a sandwich. Tea is usually pasta/ rice meat and some sort of sauce...
    Then beer. LOTS! :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Blimey reading all these has made me realise my diet is a complete load of crap!!

No breakfast, numerous cups of tea throughout the day
    Brown baguette from canteen, filling varies, today ham, chicken mix with mustard mayo with cucumber and lettuce.
    Yesterday it was a sausage, bacon and egg mix with cheese and onion.
    Being a bachelor living on my own who doesnt like cooking unless in the mood for it (not very often) usually consists of pizza, frozen meals, home made spagbol, brattwurst & wedges, pie & wedges, thngs like that.

I might drink a litre of organe juice a week, as well as a 2 litres of coke zero, and lots of water.

Never eat fruit
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Breakfast:
    either 2 slices of butterd toast or a large bowl of porridge made with milk

Morning snack:
    fruit flapjack

Lunch:
    A small serving of someting rice or pasta based, 2 pecies of fruit and a peice of cake

Dinner:
    Usually a large meal wich varies in its level or heathyness, usually pretty reasonable though.

I have to admit that since I have been into cycling I have started to think much more about the things I am eating.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Breakfast - porridge every day.....mostly with some soft fruits thrown in there (blueberries, raspberries....whatever I have got)

Lunch - usually a boots meal deal (sandwich/wrap/salad with crisps and a smoothie), but sometimes (at least once a week) I have either a filthy subway/macdonalds/nepalese curry/pizza hut buffet.....etc.

Dinner - usually a whole bunch of organic veggies (organic box delivered every week) prefereably with fish, but meat about 3/4 times a week

Add about 6-7 pieces of fruit in there everyday (and to be honest a couple of bags of crisps :oops: )
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Breakfast = Toast and 2 x Fruit, Orange Juice

Lunch = Ham Sandwich and 2 x Fruit, Chocolate Biscuit, Water

Dinner = Cooked by the mother, 1 Pint of Water

Snack after Dinner = 1 x Fruit

My life consists of fruit and water! :roll:
  • Tara911
    Tara911 Posts: 136
    Breakfast - toasted teacake/orange juice

Snack - oatbar
    another snack - crisps

lunch - pasta or rice salad

snack - apple and plum

Dinner - whatever is in the freezer usually chilli or curry

Too many cups of coffee, but I try to have 3/4 pints of water in the evening.

Jacked in the alcohol mid week, but seem to be making up for it at the weekend!
    The futures bright....

The future is PINK
  • One recipe I reccommend is getting a big plastic bowl and putting pasta in there, tuna/prawns, grated cheese, chopped tomatos/cucumber/onion/etc a few quarter eggs and mix in aplenty of mayo/saladcream/seafood sauce. And stick your face in it until it's all been noshed. It's quite a cheap fill.
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • everdays the same for me really..

brekkie...big bowl of cereal, toast tea..

get to work...fruit & 0.5 litre of water..

mid morning brown toast..tea

lunch...sandwhich, crisps,fruit

dinner..lasagne, curry - the usual thing..

late on at night...tea & toast..

my main problem is I eat too much white bread & crisps but in saying that I dont eat much else rubbish wise as I dont smoke or drink that much at all...some days I am like a machine in cycling home and some days I take forever...cant figure it out to be honest..

I would like to know how many folk are telling the truth here in regards to what they munch per day/week as there is a lot of fruit/pasta/water menus on the go :roll: :D
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Breakfast:
    Bran Flakes
    2x toast (with peanut butter)
    Orange juice

Lunch:
    Depends, but usually:
    Sandwich (usually cheese or ham)
    banana
    water

Tea
    2 x chicken breasts
    rice or pasta
    broccoli, mushrooms etc...
    water

bout it i think.
    Then a protein shake/bar after they gym, or if I'm peckish in the day an banana
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    "There is no reason to drink except when you are thirsty. The idea that people should drink 64 ounces of water a day was developed by bottled water companies so that they would sell more product.":
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/blog.php?b=5072

And over-hydration can lead to "hyponatremia":
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyponatremia/DS00974
  • Ohhh crikey, lol....

I never have breakfast, I work from home, so get up, shower and get straight to my desk. I don't find myself getting hungry untill about 12ish though.

Lunch at 1, sandwich, beans on, something like that, what ever is in the fridge, and a can of coke.

Dinner, usually pretty healthy, pasta last night, although I was out tonight and only managed to grab a maccies about half 9ish, but thats my first fast food for quite a while now. And always another can of coke with dinner too. Never have pudding.

Thats it, bar the usual drinks of water etc inbetween, I don't actually eat that much, miles better than i used to be, although I have actually just cut the crap out, rather than replacing it with healthy stuff.

Oh, and at the weekends, about 15ish pints over a friday and saturday night......oops!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thermo1 wrote:
    "There is no reason to drink except when you are thirsty. The idea that people should drink 64 ounces of water a day was developed by bottled water companies so that they would sell more product.":
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/blog.php?b=5072

And over-hydration can lead to "hyponatremia":
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyponatremia/DS00974

Very good points. When sweating you do need to replace the fluid - AND electrolytes.
  • ADJD
    ADJD Posts: 47
    I nearly always miss brekkie, apart from a can of 'RELENTLESS' energy drink on my way to work. LUNCH;4 rounds of sarnies~cheese and pickle/tuna mayo(light mayo), muesli bar or 3.TEA;pasta and sauce,stir fry,depending on time, sometimes a 'ready meal'. I LOVE A GOOD TAKEAWAY... INDIAN,CHINESE,THAI etc. nearly forgot~i drink lots of LAGER!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :oops: :lol:
    Orange G3
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    i work nights so have a bit of strange timing to eating

2pm wake
    oats for breakfast usually sometimes an omollete
    4pm chicken and rice
    6.30pm main dinner usually rice/pasta/potatoe/veg + meat etc.
    9pm omollete or steak and egg or something along those lines
    12am beef chilli with rice
    2.30am sandwich of some vareity + fruit
    6.30am usually have a pint of milk or something before bed

may seem like alot but eat quite healthly and dont eat alot of junk so it only adds up to around 3000kcals a day, the weekends usually go to pot though
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    7:00 - Toast, Orange Juice, Bannana, Satsuma
    9:00 - Cadbury's Brunch Bar :P
    1:00 - Ham Sandwich, Chocolate Bar, 500ML Water, Bannana, Satsuma
    3:00 - Apple [GYM: 5-7KM Run, 30 Minutes of Weights, 1.5L Water]
    6:30 - Large Cooked Dinner, 250ML Water
    9:00 - Plateful of Grated Cheese :roll:

As you can see I practically rely on Fruit and Water at the moment, a diet that works well for me - I have an extremely high metabolism and am trying to lose a bit of fat around the stomach to get a six-pack like all teenagers out there!

I have the same food nearly every day, on some days I'll have a Cooked Bacon Sandwich! :twisted:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Breakfast Usually somethign like a "Eat healthy" bar and some water on the way to work in the car

Mid-morning Sometimes a bag of walkers crisps and a choccy bar, more water though

Lunch Typically a wholemeal baguette with chicken/tuna and salad, no butter or marg and either light mayo or minty youghart sauce, and a slice of home made cake

Dinner somethign like pasta or rice with spag bol, chilli etc (all home made) or fish, mash spuds & veg

and that sums it up, mainly drink water all day and at home but will have a can of fanta or coke zero with dinner.

Weekends is another matter, generally beer, pizza / curry or eat out :lol:
  • Like supersonic i'm a late riser and so hardly ever see brekfast time, unless at work when i'll have some toast.
    dinner consists of anything from ready-meals to healthy salads with chicken and potatoes
    tea is usually pretty healthy with meat, rice, pasta etc.. on the agenda
    general snacks inbetween usually fruit.

since being diagnosed with minor HBP i have cut out the salt and caffiene and tried to step up my exercise routine
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Sod the diet thing I eat what I feel like. Its a bit diffcult try to say my diet because its never the same
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    "peanut butter & jelly sandwich". Or in english, peanut butter with raspberry jam on toast. F*ck mars bars and their "work, rest & play bullsh*t". 3 of these babies in the morning and I'm on a roll for the rest of the day...
  • I always have porrige oats for breakfast maybe with some fruit (no sugar) mid morning I tend to have a cereal bar, lunch is usually a steamed chicken/ pasta meal, mid afternoon either yogurt toast or some fruit and the evening a large meal. :twisted: BUT :roll: I drink to much which is my downfall :oops: