Rydale Rumble

13»

Comments

• bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    Hi Rich

You're a hard task master you are! I kept telling people on Sunday that it was your fault they had the three brutes! Now you are talking 2009 already!

Next year has to be decided on, 2008 has been an epic challenge for us two Sportives and the "Nationals" in 7 weeks and there are a few tired bodies and minds about. What is clear is that we need to enlarge the BC Yorkshire Events Group if we are to maintain the pace. (Cue for volunteers to step forward)

The Rumble is for us work in progress, it ticks all the boxes not just about the event but also in terms of our wider strategy for developing links in North Yorkshire. All it needs is for riders to focus minds towards the North York Moors and to what are for me perhaps the best mile for mile biking roads in Britain. August is a good month in terms of scenery as the magenta coloured heather is then in full bloom and boy is that a sight. There are however other logistical issues that call for planet aligning, but if it means been able to watch a 6' 6" Scotsman hauling himself up the chimney then who knows.
  • I can only echo my thanks for the excellent job done by the marshalls/organisers/ helpers, hats off to one and all.

My, it was a tough one.

Can't really add anything to the description of the climbs but in relation to my ride I did the middle route and enjoyed? it. I thought though I'd post the following.

From the Hutton-le-hole check point I tried to stay with a rider whom IMHO was moving like a rocket. She (for it was a she) had nipped into the feeding station and................ was gone. Luck, at the road junctions, was the only way I could keep anything like up. Despite this rider saying her legs were shot...I can only believe I misheard her and she meant "my" legs were shot..... as she disappeared far into the distance after 10 or so miles.

I must admit I was hoping/praying she would prove to be someone good as I trundled my way to the finish having paid the price for misplaced exhuberance.

At the end of ride I caught up with her for a chat and found out she was called Sally Ashbridge; well unless there are two-she's featured in the Scottish Cycling Hall of Fame webapge a few below Robert Milar!

Blimey.

From a quick glance she also appears to have ridden round quicker than anyone? who did the 135k!

My morale is restored. (She also seemed to be a very nice lass to boot and I hope she enjoys the rest of her holiday). Thanks also to Dan Annison of Pedalsport for giving me a "tow" in the early part, again though I couldn't really do my share as he was too quick- trust he's pleased with the 185k time when in the baking heat finishing alone was an achievement.
  • Great organisation. Fantastic signing and feed stops. Did Rumble 2. The combination of heat and the 3 brutal climbs made this IMO much harder than the WRC. Did Gold time of 5:52. Hardly any opportunity to group ride because fewer riders compared to WRC. Managed to hitch a ride for last 20 miles. Did all the climbs except from Church Houses: rode half way then had to push.

I take my hats off to those that did Rumble 1. I wouldn't have fancied that in the heat.

Stayed on a fantastic child friendly campsite 'The Golden Square Camp site' at Oswaldkirk just outside Ampleforth. Very good facilties and 4 mile ride from the start point.

Well done to the organisers and those that took part in the ride.
  • Salash
    Salash Posts: 1
    BIt of a late posting on the subject, but I've just returned home to France after 3 weeks away, which included the Rumble (it was only 10miles from my in-laws! ) I have to say it (Rumble 2) was the hardest thing I've done; like a 4 and a half hour hilly time trial (I know, it wasn't a race, but I can't help it). I have ridden a 5 day stage race in Spain, and that was also purgatory, but in a different way! After the Rumble I couldn't eat for 6 hours and had to do a lot of lying down.....never had that degree of appetite supression before! I've ridden two other (shorter) cyclosportives in France (where people do seem to race them...) and have been bitten by the bug. More effort than time trialling, though!

Rogan Ashton and I had a chat at the end. He is really a runner, and is recovering from a fractured ankle, so to ride such an event with only 6 weeks cycle training is amazing. I think he should ditch his running shoes and continue cycling!

Thanks to the wonderful helpers and organisers for making the day so memorable!