Rydale Rumble

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
Is there Gold , Silver and Bronze on this ride, if so what are the times ?
Hope the weather improves or it could be a 12 hour swim. Thought the weather was bad on the recci ride but today has been awful and the roads so so slippy. :cry: Don't fancy going for a good time in the rain.
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    John, it's three weeks away isn't it? It could easily be the hottest day of the year.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I was going to head up to Westerdale yesterday, but once I saw the lightning I decided being sat on a large piece of carbon fibre on the top of a hill going through deep puddles wasn't the brightest of ideas, so sat on the turbo trainer and watched the Tour.
  • scak456
    scak456 Posts: 55
    Standards on the route pages -

http://ryedalerumble.co.uk/index.php?page=Rumble%20One

Cheers
    SK
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    Don't worry John you should know the old North Yorkshire Weather adage; "If you don't like the weather hang on 5 minutes and something else'll come along"!

The National Road Race Championship last week was a classic example - bright sunshine then all of a sudden rain for the last lap before bright sunshine again for the presentation.

I know you won't want one on the day but a rainbow over the North York Moors with, dark sky and purple heather is a photographer's dream. Then again if we have a dry day following all of this rain then the colours on the Moors and through Ryedale should be terrific.

Whatever the weather though it's a great route and I hope a great day for all.
  • I've been caught out in snow storms on the moors in the past, especially in about August. :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • cyclingvet
    cyclingvet Posts: 131
    Having just done the Wyre Forest Stinger, in heavy rain half of the time, I for one am hoping that it will be dry on the 27th!

Not only did the wet wreak havoc on my chain and gear shifting, but I had my first puncture in over a year. The worst part was the mud/gravel washed onto the roads, that made descents slow and some of the limbs very difficult to keep traction. In the last 12 miles or so of the Stinger I was just about to congratulate myself for getting to the top of the Noah's Ark climb (25%) without getting off and walking, when I hit a slippy patch and came off :x . I walked up the next climb :oops: (20%) as there was so much mud that traction would be nigh on impossible.

I would prefer to try the Rosedale Chimney when it is dry!
  • bobh
    Tell him what it's like in a blizzard Luke.
  • John C.
    It won't have to be hot to be the hottest day of the year, but, I don't want hot, just a nice warm day , a few fast groups to hide in and good company . A bit like the Fred Whitton . Only this will be in Gods Country :lol::lol::lol:

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi.

For this event do you need insurance or anything or is there an option to pay for tempory insurace or whatever?

Thanks
    Willz.
  • John C.
    My usual answer to insurance applies. Check out your other policies, chances are one of them will have 1-2 million pounds worth of third party liability insurance.

• bobh
    The Event is Britsh Cycling Registered and so there is 3rd Party insurance cover in place
    :D
  • Anonymous
    bobh wrote:
    The Event is Britsh Cycling Registered and so there is 3rd Party insurance cover in place
    :D

So insurance can come with the ticket? I dont have any insurace and usually with Audaxes I pay 2 quid extra for temporary insurance but dont know what it was like with other events.
  • I am looking forward to this ride immensely. Hopefully will be able to do part of the route over the coming week (weather permitting), but i'm feeling good, especially after the WRC.

Not looking forward to the chimney after 100 or so miles however. I'm wincing already :lol:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    I'm actually looking forward to rosedale chimney, I got up it after about 70 miles on the ron kit, was slow, like 1.5mph but I am hoping I will be better this time round, is insanely steep though I was surprised :P
  • John C.
    Not at my peak as I was on The Fred but the weather looks to be changing so if all goes well I'll be looking for around 81/4 -81/2 hours. Rode the Boltby Helmsley section the other evening and felt good, Had two gears to go on Mr Boltby (RESPECT) and my HR was about 80% so still in reasonable condition :lol:

• John C.
    Big question

Will there be any of that malt loaf with jam on it that we got on The Fred, I'll go for Gold if that's at the last feed station. :lol:

• cyclingvet
    cyclingvet Posts: 131
    Here's praying that the summer eventually comes in time for next weekend. Just been blown about and soaked, had a nasty puncture and gashed tyre today :( in my training ride for next weekend. I was going to do 80 miles today but had to be content with 50 miles in total spread over two separate rides (7am and 4pm). I've t got next week off so hopefully I'll get one last long ride in early to mid week.
  • Anonymous
    cyclingvet wrote:
    Here's praying that the summer eventually comes in time for next weekend. Just been blown about and soaked, had a nasty puncture and gashed tyre today :( in my training ride for next weekend. I was going to do 80 miles today but had to be content with 50 miles in total spread over two separate rides (7am and 4pm). I've t got next week off so hopefully I'll get one last long ride in early to mid week.

You doing the ryedale rumble? Wow I never thought people came from all over for this event, and I though it was far for me at about 30 miles :P
  • willhub wrote:
    You doing the ryedale rumble? Wow I never thought people came from all over for this event, and I though it was far for me at about 30 miles :P

Me and my buddy will be travelling from Glasgow to ride it. So here's hoping for some nice weather! :)
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

Me and my buddy will be travelling from Glasgow to ride it. So here's hoping for some nice weather! :)

Well they say on the weather high pressure will be dominating by wensday so lets hope it lasts.

On wensday its going to be 21 degrees and 3mph wind 8), if this lasts up to sunday then...... :D
  • Can you book the same weather we had for the WRC please?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bobh
    We've put the call out for some decent weather....but this is North Yorkshire folks! We think it's maybe a safe bet that it won't snow....well possibly it won't :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    bobh wrote:
    We've put the call out for some decent weather....but this is North Yorkshire folks! We think it's maybe a safe bet that it won't snow....well possibly it won't :twisted:

Well its going to be hot and sunny and not much wind by looks of it, change of plan for me something went wrong so I'm doing a saturday ride with the club I am in, that day will be 23 degrees, 9mph wind, so I really doubt sunday would be any worse.
  • John C.
    Went down to the ford (Old Byland) on Sunday, laugh :lol: my mate went first :lol: didn't know this was a triathlon we were doing. This is a VERY tricky decent, take care. Also look out for suicidal deer they are unable to go the obvious way and will always jump in front of you.
    I've been looking forward to this ride and with good weather bring it on.

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Will post this again - I have entered the RR this weekend, but am doing a London-Paris ride at the same time so can't make it.

If anyone wants a free entry (shorter route), email me and I'll give you the details. All you have to do is show up and use my name and you're in!
  • bobh
    Not that simple I'm afraid, this is a registered and insured event. Anyone riding under an alias won't be insured and won't be allowed to start if known
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    well good luck to everyone doing the ride on sunday. Looks like another very tough day out in Yorkshire .Hope we all get round safely and have a great day out.
  • Good luck to all tomorrow. If you see a lad in a Barloworld Jersey it's more then likely me. Weather should be good and i'm hoping for a good time.

Do you sign on the same place the Recce went from?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • John C.
    What time are you setting off Shocked, Ash and Rich ? Looks like it will be hot, will be taking sun block oil. Shout if you need it, you can't miss my kit :lol: see picture.

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Luke , The sign on is the same place as the recce start, but it looks like we will be directed away from the main entrance as that is where the riders all start from. So we will be directed to a back road to get to the parking and signing on tents.
    John, am looking at around an 8a.m. start depending on what time I get there.
    I'll be wearing a red/black specialized short sleeve top , riding a silver and blue giant with blue trimmed whels.

John I don't know if Rich is doing the ride as I can't see his name on the start list??

I'll look out for you two around the course.Probably see you Luke when you fly past me up the climbs eh?

I'm off to stay at my girlfriends tonight so won't be back on the computer before the ride. So if i don't see you at the start, good luck to you both and enjoy the pain!!!!!